Fraud at S&R with US CC charging Anomalies

Caution to S&R shoppers with US bank accounts!

I recently experienced S&R fraudulently charging my US CC.  The register system and the CC card reader/processor are not tied together.  Therefor, when the P23K+ was presented, I refused to sign the transaction because the total amount to be placed on my card was less than P10K (I instructed the cashier that I was paying P14K in cash and the balance of about P9k+ on my card).  This was ignored and I was presented with the total P23+K. 

After I refused to sign for that amount, I was told the process would be voided and the correct amount would be entered.  As I left the Nuvali S&R, I had paid the P14K cash and balance by card totaling the P23K with the receipt showing P14k cash and balance of P9+K on my CC. 

Upon my arrival home (some 47 minutes later), I had a BoA email alert where I learned that S&R had processed my card twice (one charge of P9K and another charge of P23+K).  After numerous wait times on the phone and near zero help, I returned to the store that afternoon. 

It was confirmed that a "mistake" was made and the system may randomly charge the customer's CC even when the customer did not sign or approve the transaction.  It was also the store's position that the voiding of the sale at the register, reversed the process at METRO Bank.  100% untrue!!!! 

What was also learned: 

•    S&R will charge a CC on the CC terminal without customer signature and or approval

•    The CC holder will not be aware that this double billing/processing is not tied to the register used for checkout unless it is manually inputted

•    The receipt issued will not show the fraudulent CC transaction

•    S&R SR. Management seems unable/unwilling to step in and make the customer whole

•    S&R/Metro Bank will claim a float of 5-7 days to return the funds taken via the fraudulent action, despite it only taking a few seconds to process the charge

•    The receipt issued will not show the fraudulent CC transaction

•    S&R supervision/management claims the word void sale is all that is needed

•    S&R does not understand the voiding a sale in the store does not send a reversal of the debit to the CC center for the proper credit action

•    Not one call or email from S&R management has been received to explain the fraud

A trip to S&R that resulted in P23+K of groceries with a total pay-out of P46+K!!!!

Caution:

S&R seems to not care that they are committing fraud with this system, nor do they care what the card holder must go through to recover from this fraud.  It was explained to S&R that it is an automatic card freeze when the unauthorized charge is confirmed via the Alert email, I received from Bank of America.  The Expat must have a US address where the new replacement card can be sent and be ready to spend up to $165.00 to send a bank instrument via FEDX back to the PI.

In conclusion:

Since S&R seems incapable of processing US CC's with integrity and will double process a charge without the card holder's approval and or knowledge, I highly recommend to stop all CC usage at any S&R store. 

I made a big mistake in trusting S&R to act with integrity and now I am faced with the above issues.  I should have had a clue when S&R has ignored my written request to stop grinding Australian/New Zealand Ground beef with bone fragments.  The corporate written response to this topic is now 3 weeks delayed.   I will post updates as they occur. 

Based on my scant 7 months in country, I have learned one thing for certain about retail transactions. KEEP THEM EFFING SIMPLE! I would NEVER do a split transaction without at a minimum watching every fcking keystroke on the little hand machine at S&R.

Your fight is not going to be easily handled. But I'm unclear when exactly this happened and if management at S&R has stated they're refunding the charge or not? They're claim as you stated, does not auto-reverse when unsigned. But in my short experience, most Pinoy will "pass it off" or pass the buck to avoid conflict while not actually accomplishing a single thing to solve the issue.

Once you know they are processing a refund, you should expect it to take a few days. Even more than a week. But not by much. However, I want to SEE them process the return, or feel confident whom I'm speaking to is doing it right.

I recently had a issue at the Bank ATM, It didn't spit out the 10k, and it gave me back my card like normal and just sat there for minutes. Likely ran out of funds, So I was there on the next business day, and when I spoke to the representative she immediately knew what the amount was for without me saying anything. Because my approach was "did your ATM balance out on XX day"? Feeling confident it would be handled, she gave me a claim number and everything. Before leaving I went to the same of two ATM's and the SAME THING HAPPENED! (First transaction did show up on my banking app that day). So she had me fill out another claim immediately. However that transaction did not go through to my bank. Three days later I get email...something like "we have concluded our investigation and closed the matter" . NOTHING stating the result!

Yea that's $10k php I'll never see again.

That sounds horrible.  I have a DEBIT CARD from Metro. Have hardly ever used it. May cancel it. I have used my stateside Visa here with no problems. Don't use it much though as they soak you good for the foreign exchange. Generally I try to just pay cash, even on large purchases.

@Calif-Native

I'm surprised that you used a split payment, you're braver than me. (In my own mind, I thought a split payments was beyond the pay grade of any cashiers in the Philippines, so I don't do it.) When planning a trip to S&R I transfer money from Citibank to BDO. I then pay with my BDO debit card, as the card requires the correct pin. I also spend between P20K to P25K there.

At one time I or my stepson used my credit cards at S&R, never have they asked for identification.

Your problem might have trickled down to all the BDO stores alerting them to proper procedures. My stepson has my debit card and one of my charge cards. He asked me what card to use and he mistakenly presented the charge card, the cashier would not accept it unless I came to the register to show ID, I was sitting nearby. He then used the BDO debit card.

About the $160 possible charge for FedEx, I use Global Mail for an address and forwarding my mail. Today I authorized them to mail me a credit card that arrived in the mail, the cost $87 as they have a deal with FedEx. More on that later on a separate post.

Side Note . . . many years ago I applied for a Sam's Club charge card as they had a promotion. When I received the card I activated it online. There was a charge on the card for $287 before the card was ever activated. Sam's use Synchrony Bank. The bank wiped out the charge stating Sam's was a major client.

Some time later I checked my receipt from Sam's a few days later. The charge was on a different card, but to the penny it was the same amount as the charge off Synchrony Bank. I am still baffled as how the card was charged before I even received it.

BTW, I wouldn't call it fraud unless you got nowhere with getting S&R to do a refund. It was a cashier mistake. We need to keep in mind that they do things vastly different in the Philippines. Efficient? Hell no. Not anything close to efficiency that I'm used too. That inefficiency leads to a further state of confusion for those folks that have not been allowed to think on their feet in the working world. When they're told "only this way" to do things, they often won't think beyond that even in the slightest. Poor education is also to blame to some degree.

@Larry Fisher Its tedious, but after a similar experience 3 year's ago,  I now routinely video all my atm transactions.

Chapter 2 - Just returned from S&R and more delays with "I was not on duty on July 26th when it happened." As the BofA fraud center opens up in a few hours I am ready with all the evidence.... 

As I dig deeper into my BofA account, I was curious to see how S&R coded this fraudulent transaction for bank processing? The official coded category for the P23,218.00 ($435.33) reported to BofA is Gasoline!

Yes, I purchased P23,218.00 worth of gasoline from S&R... It is magic!!! my imported Chevrolet 2500 HD van, with a 33 US Gal tank, was fill at S&R with 387 liters (@ P.60/liter) of gasoline... wow!

Today, after a 3 hour wait with: Metro Bank is not answer our call... to the S&R accounting department needs to let 7 days pass to process a refund, I informed management I had enough was was leaving. They asked me to please wait until Monday to notify my bank. Request denied!

Why Fraud?  Either the CC was authorized or it was not.  I refused to sign it while in check-out and they processed it regardless.  That is fraud when the total out of my pocket/bank account was P46K for P23K (of gasoline or bubble gum).

The Store Manager (Ms. Joan Rivera) has yet to reach out to me directly on correcting this fraud, fraud committed by employees at Nuvali, under her leadership. 

If you want to do a split payment at the store I would think it is better to do it in 2 transactions, one for the cash and one for the C/C payment. Many people do it here in the UK, either paying for both transactions in cash or one by cash and one by card. All they do is divide the goods at the checkout on the belt and place one of the dividing blocks between the goods and the cashier puts the first lot of good through the till and stops at the marker and asks if the customer wants to pay by cash or card. Once the customer has paid for the first set of goods and has the receipt, the cashier will start to scan the second set of items and go through the process of asking if you want to pay by cash or card. So two separate transactions with two receipts.

Final Chapter - At about 7:15 pm S&R sent a text and asked me to check my BofA account....  $435.33 was returned to my account this evening!  ....... was also informed that the CC processing function which allows unauthorized charges, "has been addressed in our system and should it not happen again."  As I prepare to return to California for 3 months, this stress with unrestful splendor will not be missed!   

Now I have problems with S&R.

Yesterday I ordered online from S&R. The pre authorized amount P4480.19

The actual amount of the purchase was P3261.27 when it was delivered.

I contacted S&R, (this you won't believe) they said wait 15 to 45 working days, if the money is not in my account by then contact my bank.

go to the counter and try to get the cash back, this is insane that need to wait 14~45 days is this million ? they just bullshit you and let you give up

go to the counter and try to get the cash back, this is insane that need to wait 14~45 days is this million ? they just bullshit you and let you give up
-@Coz Huang

I did not give up, I'm working on it, but trying to save P600 for Grab round trip for a trip to the store.

The amount of the overcharge is P1218.19

That's not days. . . it's working days 3 to 9 weeks.

@Enzyte Bob

This is another big "Red Flagg"!!! Most banks/CC companies will not want to hear that you had false charges and did not report it ASAP. Please feel free to copy or reference my postings here and send them a link regarding what I said about their very poor credit card charge practices and advise them that the exposure is only getting greater and greater.   

Don't bother to go to the store before you have very clear written talks with corporate. The charges will be floating in BPI corporate account until corporate accounting demands a fast correction or debit to your account. 

FYI - I addressed my emails as follows:

To:

Ferdinand Vincent P. Co

President & Director

Susan P. Co

Executive Vice Chairman & Treasurer

Antonio E. de los Santos,

Head-Operations

Puregold Price Club Inc.

Anthony G. Sy

President of S & R Membership Shopping

S&R Membership Shopping Head Office

32nd St. 5th Ave.,

Bonifacio Global City
Taguig, Philippines

TEL NO.: (02) 888-043

I totally agree with Cherryann01 and Larry Fisher on there above comments and advice...As far as receiving bank cards I have always had them sent to the relative with whom my address is listed with WF and then they just forward via FedEx, usually $23-$25 for me here in Cavite

vehicross100 said . . . . As far as receiving bank cards I have always had them sent to the relative with whom my address is listed with WF and then they just forward via FedEx, usually $23-$25 for me here in Cavite

Really $23-$25 FedEX?

Recent under another heading I mentioned my FedEX cost. I had delivery in six days for $88.71 using the remailer US Global Mail (Houston, TX)

Then I checked out the FedEx website, the cost $115.

Larry Fishers cost was $157.27 via DHL

What do you attribute your $25 cost?

S&R seems very fast to repeat "what" happened (on the surface only) but will not explain "WHY" or "HOW" it happened??

Their apparent greed to hold onto most accounts of foreigners could be based on the bank "float" where they use your money for free to boost their gross profit numbers for a specific period. 

Important history:

In 2015, the Retail business segment from Puregold Price Club and S&R Membership contributed to 83 percent of the total revenues of Cosco Capital Inc, the retail holding firm of Mr. Lucio Co.

What is driving S&R?  Their "Consolidated net sales increased by 7.9 percent to P82.2 billion in the first semester of 2022 from P76.2 billion in the comparative period of 2021 as mobility eased further in the second quarter."

Their measurement of traffic:

"Total traffic to all stores increased by 10 percent versus the same period last year. Sales also grew due to sales contribution from full operation new stores opened in 2021 and revenue contribution from newly opened stores in 2022 of both Puregold and S&R."

Tracking increased shopper confidence:

"The enterprise experienced positive same store sales growth (SSSG) of 0.6 percent for Puregold Stores and 3.8 percent for S&R Warehouse Clubs."

In 2022, Puregold posts P4.2-B profit in 1st sem.  Source:  https://mb.com.ph/2022/08/02/puregold-p … n-1st-sem/

What does all of this mean for us??? 

We are very small as individuals but can have a larger foot-print if we act with clear written concerns that mirror the negative individual events against us and target exposing their greed!!!

EnzyteBob posted. . .    Now I have problems with S&R.Yesterday I ordered online from S&R. The pre authorized amount P4480.19The actual amount of the purchase was P3261.27 when it was delivered.I contacted S&R, (this you won't believe) they said wait 15 to 45 working days, if the money is not in my account by then contact my bank.

Conclusion

After six emails with S&R customer service each time denying owning me P1218 refund from the per-authorized payment compared to the actual payment.

Then BDO who paid the pre-authorize amount denied my claim of fraud.

Now mysteriously the P1218 was deposited in my account with no explanation from S&R or BDO. (six week delay)

I have the same issue.

The people at customer service are ill informed and S&R uses wrong terminology.

It is OK to  preauthorise, but it is not ok to overcharge.

In my case they even did not apply the discount after the first purchase.

emvaningen replied . . . I have the same issue.The people at customer service are ill informed and S&R uses wrong terminology.It is OK to  preauthorise, but it is not ok to overcharge.In my case they even did not apply the discount after the first purchase.

The pre-autorization was for the total order, but they were out of stock on certain items thus reducing the cost of the order.

Lesson I learned for the future:

(1) I can order from S&R through MetroMart portal and have the C.O.D. delivery.

(2) You can order Lander's from their (Lander's) website C.O.D.

Normally the preauthorisayion is the order value plus 10%

@Enzyte Bob

Should any of us be shocked when this fraud increases??  With the exchange rate at or about 57 -1, imagine in the next 5-8 months what it will be like when the exchange is about 63 -1?  I am sure that I am not alone with the experience of reduced food quality, responsiveness, and accountability.  Increased demand for shareholder profits coupled with near zero ethics will only result in more attempts to steal or borrow the $$$ from the expats. 

Banks are not our friends. The tellers may be, but not the banks. Lack of honesty has always been an issue in businesses, governments, and banks. But when people can communicate, their bad behavior is illuminated, it causes problems and reduces the playing field for the criminal behavior. It's why refunds previously denied are suddenly paid without explanation.