Immigration office and marriage

Give me strength.

Immigratin making big deal out of the fact me/partner are not married.

They need special permission from same made up special department.

Despite the face we have letters from muhktar - joint bank account etc etc

Supposed to by flying to UK next week - but if we do then how do we get back into cyprus without the yellow slip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You travel back in as a tourist ... Unless there are potential issues with overstaying 90/180

Or you carry your immigration appointment and processing  documents with you when travelling

Another option worth investigating is getting an affidavit signed and stamped in court that one of you is solely dependant on the other .... In order to help with the immigration process

@Toon

Yes already past 90 days.

The immigration office have not accepted the appliations yet until the 'special approval' has been granted from some obscure office we have no control over.

We dont have any document with a stampe on that allows 're-entry' so concern is leave cy[rus for short time - try to return and will of course be stopped re-entering!

you are probably referring to Special permission from immigration minister as you have stayed for more than 90 days and currently out of status.

it takes around six to nine months to get special permission now because of backlog. Please use an immigration attorney . I don't think immigration agents can do special permission and it has to be sent to the immigration minister office in Nicosia.

if you leave now you will be subject to the 180 days rule + number of days overstayed or something like that. Please research more about this topic.I think cyprus is now in Schengen zone from July 25th and any overstay may impact your travel to 26 other EU countries .

they are very strict with documents in cyprus unlike other countries. The endless apostilles and translations take time. You have to be patient and adjust to the island way of life unfortunately.

No they are not in Schengen ... Only SIS system not full members ....

It sounds like even more of a nightmare now. I did my immigration in Feb 2023 and we needed a mukhtar signed doc only as we are co-habiting. We did also have a certificate from the UK local council to testify when we were both on the electoral role in the same UK address.

Toon's concerns are valid and I would either postpone the trip or get absolute up to date advise from a professional as being in contravention of the entry rule could mean you will never be able to return and if your partner is in Cyprus thats not gonna work!

@phildraper Bang on the money

We do have an immigration lawer but I think I understand the law better than they do.

We have letter from muktar and even a joint bank account (different surnames) - Why the lawer did not suggest a civil marriage is beyond me. I told them partner is leaving within the next week as they have to visit england. They are trying to sort an appointment with niccosia for tomorrow but Im not counting on it.

The immigration in paralimni wont accept our application without this special permission - what aload of old backwards nonsense.

Partner will take copies of applications and we have slip from the immigration stating further appointment in september with the immigration.

Partner still wants to visit england though and we believe if we should airport borders the evedence we are going through immigration they might not be complete ass**** about the situation.

im thinking max they could do is ban her from returning for 90 days or something like that - child supposed to be starting school here in september!!

@Toon well in terms of financials you mean? one lawer suggested to quickly get married but not sure we can arrange that in the next 12 hours lol

@Toon

one day we need to sit down and have a beer and a chat. this seems to be getting from bad to worse. Or is it who one knows and not what one does know (without help)

when you come to this part of the world let me know please

Charles

@adamincyprus it's not that easy to do that even if you could manage to book it in the next 12 hours.. that for sure as I know a couple who did marry here not so long ago and it was a nightmare ..

@charles533 Much in my experience depends on who you get at customs, passport and border control immigration and many other depts and again whether they have had a good or bad day....

We expect to be over in protaras in October  for a 4 night break

@adamincyprus yes in terms of financials... Are you saying there are other matters that are blocking you both ..can you expand on it..

Good luck both

@Toon not that I see see my end.

• we have purchased a new car for 32k (we are spending)
  • 1 year rental aggreement (both names)
  • children together
  • cyprus joint bank account (different surnames)

Im not sure what going to the court at this late stage will accomplish now. We have to hope we get an appointment at niccossia tomorow but I wont hold my breath.

Got speaking to english couple today who have been waiting over 15+ years for title deeds.

What hope is there...

@adamincyprus when it's all done u with look back and laugh a good story to tell and being in Cyprus is the benefit dispite the authorities. I hope all goes well keep us posted on the forum

@adamincyprus  don't let it get to you ... Good luck to you both.... There are plenty of people who move here whilst not being married .... I really would like to now what they perceive to be the problem.. your immigration lawyer should bloody well know and have the answer ... You guys are not the first to relocate here unmarried...

Its very strange....

As for title deeds ...yes its true you can wait years for them. Buyers do need to be aware of this and to keep at the depts chasing it but it can wear you down .. some just don't bother chasing in the end .... And it gets forgotten about then when something tragic happens that same problem comes back to bite the surviving family...

@adamincyprus not wishing to make this worse but bans for overstaying could be as much as 3years...let's hope it doesn't come to that...

Am sure there must be someone in these depts that can see the reality of your situation and apply common sense ... But when you hear these.things it does make you wonder

Here's wishing you get this sorted quickly

@adamincyprus officers have a lot of discretion in Cyprus vs UK or any other civil law country where they need to follow the process to the letter of the law or get sued . Please be patient, get a good immigration attorney and things will happen.

Many people have spent around 350k on category F fast track plus 50k on living expenses and had to wait a year. The process in Cyprus is very slow but usually has a good outcome.

@Toon

should be home under normal circumstances unless have a ship inspection but for sure i will make time. let us meet. how do i give you my number!!! is it allowed to exchange on this site (i am getting paranoid) hahaha

@charles533 by private message here .. tap on my icon /avatar  to my profile and you get the option to send message