Converting a NON-SA Commonwealth driving License

I will want to convert my Kenya driving license to a MU one at some point.  We don't have police clearance certificates like SA I have read about. We are just a typical commonwealth type driving license here in Kenya. Does anyone know the regs and formalities?

Would be much appreciated.

Hello Peterg123,

It is pretty simple to convert the license but you will need an attestation letter confirming that your Kenyan license is valid. You should contact your local/nearest traffic branch to enquire about the attestation .

You will find info here : https://police.govmu.org/police/?page_id=4928

Regards

Bhavna

Interesting...our Kenya licences are QR coded so anyone can simply point at them and verify..I will have to see if they issue letters of attestation Many thanks for your tireless help..

I looked up your link and it seems simple but there is always fine print

"Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence

This office also deals with application for conversion of foreign driving licence into domestic driving licences. The following documents are needed:

Original and copy of

foreign driving licence

Redisence/work/occupation permit

NIC/Passport

Marriage certificate and medical certificate where applicable."

They didn't mention the attestation, but it will be asked. We have several members asking about the attestation. Better come prepared : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1014469

QR code and fingerprint are way too modern for them 1f600.svg We are far behind.

@peterg123 Niaje. How are you doing?

Did you convert the license and what was the procedure? Any issues/Tips?

Sajad

Hi I have not tried yet...will try in December. I have the letter of validation, it's issued by our National Transport Authory, so we will (wife and I) have a go in December when am back in MU and will update. NTSA walinisumbiua kama nini..finally nilitos  chai.

@BhavnaBavna, I guess "attestation" and "verifivcation letter" ( from an inssuing authority) are one and the same?

@peterg123

Hello Peter,

indeed ! I believe they are the same ...

Did you manage to convert your license ?

@peterg123 Chai ni Lazima sio?

Thanks for the heads up. Will follow up with this letter while im here in NBO. Coming to MU in Feb.

I'll look for you once im there. Have a blessed day

Sajad

I am reading on this thread about "converting" a foreign driving licence to a Mauritius driving licence. Does "converting" mean you actually lose your original driving licence? I am from the UK and have a UK driving licence. But previously I've also held a Chinese and a Filipino, and my UK licence, all at the same time. I never had to give any of them up to get the others. Can anyone clarify what the situation is please?

No, there is no implications for your UK driving licence.

"Converting" refers to the process of obtaining a driving license in Mauritius with comparable permissable vehicle codes to ensure you're not supplied an incorrect licence.  Ie" one which permits you to drive an articulated 33 tonne truck & trailer in Mauritius when your UK licence is for a regular passenger car.

@JP0001$$ Ah, ok, good. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification

@Sherlock23 Sasa ukitaka kupata Attestation Letter huko Nairobi, chai ni lazima. Kuna mtu moja tu NTSA  ambaye ako na haki kusign hiyo barua, and he likes money. I have someone in NTSA who will arrange it for you. Cost is  3 to 5 K of "extra fees". Otherwise you might have to wait for months and months. Let me know how it went. Pole I did not see your letter until end of Jan!!!

I have a current UK driving license and would like to convert it into a Mauritius one, and ultimately get an International license off it. The notes for this process suggest that I require a medical certificate where applicable. My question is when is a medical certificate appropriate?

I am 64 years old and wear glasses. In the UK I wouldn't need a medical certificate, but do I need one in Mauritius? If so, can I get a medical certificate in South Africa or must it be issued locally?

I would also like to know about any medical cert.

@Mahjong thanks for that info

@Mahjong Oh dear, they get more stupid by the minute. Thanks fpor this

I have just heard from the Mauritius licensing authority and they have confirmed that all applicants over the age of 60 require a medical certificate to confirm that they are fit to drive.

Other useful information from them:

• Maximum processing time 3 weeks
  • Documents are to be presented at counter 8, International Driving Permit Counter of Licensing Office, Traffic Branch, Port Louis between 09.00 hrs to 14.00 hrs for the procedures during weekdays.
  • Payment for the conversion of the licence is of Rs1500.00
  • A third party can collect your driving licence provided that the receipt is presented.

@karibi Yes the process is quite straightforward except the website does not mention the medical certificate..only when you get all the way to Pt. Louis do you find out.

Once there as long as you have the complete list of documents and photios, and the covering letter to the Police, and from the issuing authority, it seems easy.

@andrew9799

I have just contacted the UK DVLA asking for a letter of attestation. They were unable to accept the request by email and told me to phone them. I contacted them on 0300 790 6801.

A bit of a queue waiting for the call to be answered but once I got through they were helpful and emailed me a  'Confirmation of GB Driving License Details' within 2 hours, together with a description of all the codes used.