Age of Majority in Vietnam

Re the last post , can anyone confirm at what age is the child considered to have reached the majority of age? Thanks in advance

Hello Oasishbarhatien,

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Vietnam forum as the thread where you initially posted is not a good fit.

I hope members will guide you asap.

All the best

Bhavna

Re the last post , can anyone confirm at what age is the child considered to have reached the majority of age? Thanks in advance
-@oasisbarhatien

I believe the age of majority in VN is 16. That said, from what I've read the legal age for different activities (eg. smoking, drinking, military service, marriage etc) varies, but generally seems to be 18 years.

well gee it might help if we knew what post he was referring to but we can't know that because...

My post was in the topic referring to the death of the Vietnamese spouse of a non Vietnamese person, and the consequences of that, in that a child of the couple could be a sponsor for a VEC or TRC for the non Vietnamese partner, but at what age coulf the child do this?

@oasisbarhatien

I looked a little deeper. Children = < 16 years. Age of majority = 18 years.

There is at least one exception to this (of which I am aware), and that is in the case of marriage. Males, 20 years, females 18.

"Currently, the Law on Children defines children as persons under 16 years old, while the Civil Code regulates the age of majority as 18, making the 16, 17-year-old group in Vietnam not yet entitled to children's rights, while they also have no rights and obligations of adults."

source;

LEGAL AGE OF CHILDREN UNDER VIETNAMESE LAW

DEBATES AND PERSPECTIVES (Link)

see section 3.1. Positive impacts on children aged 16-17

authors

Le Thi Khanh Van

Independent Child Rights Advocates

and

A/Prof. Vu Cong Giao

School of Law, Vietnam National University, Hanoi

...a child of the couple could be a sponsor for a VEC or TRC for the non Vietnamese partner, but at what age coulf the child do this? -@oasisbarhatien

In answer to your question, reading the linked PDF tells me that 18 years of age, being the age of majority, would qualify a VN citizen to be a sponsor (though I could , most certainly, be wrong).

Hope this helps.