Best route to drive to Vratsa.

Hello all,

We will be driving from the tunnel to Vratsa in our partially converted Renault Trafic LWB van at the beginning of September. Can anyone give us some advice about the best route to take, paying tolls etc please? It will be the fist of many drives as we start the move to our new home in Bulgaria.

The general consensus seems to be if you are carrying tools etc to give Serbia a wide berth, there seems to be some nasty experiences posted on various sites regarding the Serbian route!

Can you buy the road tolls online before you leave? Do you need any special paperwork for the vehicle or it's contents for the journey etc etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

KEDDLE1f600.svg

@KEDDLE Hi we live just outside Vratsa and drive France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and cross the Danube at Vidin bridge into Bulgaria and then down through Montana to Vratsa.

You can buy all tolls online but its easier to do Austria in a garage just before or after the border.

You need all the originals of your V5, Insurance etc for your van. When we moved we did a complete packing list and carried receipts forall electrical goods, but that was because i drove our 7.5t here, you should be fine in a van.

Cant advise you much on Serbia apart from when i have been through they are very thorough on paperwork and the political situation is a bit tasty at the moment.

If you plan on keeping your van be advised if it doesnt comply with the certificate of conformity (because its been converted) you wont be able to register it here.

Good luck with the move.

@KEDDLE buy the tolls at the border ro to bg

Austrian and hungarian can be bought together..the ro one buy seperately same as bg.

From Vidin follow route to Lom..it will sign up for Vratsa..happy journey.

Is this the same for a car? I'm heading down in a month and just want to be 100% sure, Also regarding insurance will a PDF on my phone be enough? Or would it be better to print it? I was also planning to get the tolls at each border, as I looked online, and I'm not 100% sure what town I will enter BG from.

Thanks Carl.

@CarlS1986 you will definitely need paper copies of all documents.

@grahamstark1

Hi Graham,

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but I was taken rather ill & ended up in hospital.

We had to postpone the trip. Thanks for your advice on the journey,  much appreciated!

Have you had any work carried out on your property? I am looking for a reliable, trustworthy plumber & an electrician in the Vratsa area, could you recommend anyone?

Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the journey!

Thanks!

@KEDDLE

Hi, sorry to hear you haven't been well. Yes over the years we have had new roofs, windows installed etc. There will always be a Maestro in your village and always worth talking to your Mayor for recommendations.

If you're on Facebook, my wife runs a *** and you may be able to get recommendations close to your village. I will talk to our Maestro and see what availability he has as know he is doing some big jobs.

Be warned, most dont clean up after themselves or remove rubble etc, so ensure who ever you employ you agree terms clearly.

Graham

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : Promoting external websites/groups is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@grahamstark1

Hello Graham,

Thanks for your reply.  Could you let me have a means to private message you please? (Really not to sure how to use these forums!?!?)

It would be really helpful to have someone to ask for a few wise words from time to time!

Many thanks1f600.svg

@KEDDLE

Its good to have more than 1 answer

Remember.2 heads are better than one.

More than one way to skin a cat..get my drift.

@KEDDLE

All tolls are bought at each border..after Germany ..you can buy from Austria and for Hungary too.

You can buy from Hungary for Romania..buy the minimum needed just for crossing that country..

Buy from Bulgaria..depending on how long your stay will be..they will want to see your log book too..

I wouldnt use serbia if you paid me.romania bg all the time...

Dont forget to use headlights during the day too..D..A..H..RO..B.G.

MAKE AN ITINARY OF ALL YOUR HOUSE HOLD GOODS..STATING ITS YOUR OWN GOODS IN TRANSIT..DONT FORGET TO MENTION ITS YOUR HOUSE

BOUGHT BY YOU..OWNED BY WHOEVER...GOOD LUCK..TAKE PHOTO COPIES TOO.

Hello wtruckyboy,

Sorry for the slow response, not been to well, again !

Definitely, as many heads as possible is always best, all advice is greatly appreciated!

Really not sure how these forums work, my IT skills are limited to say the least, just mastered the art of emailing 1f60a.svg

Many thanks,

KEDDLE 1f44d.svg

@Keddle, if you want to send anyone here a direct message, make a note of their name, look in the top right corner of the screen, and find the little cartoon speech bubble icon. Clicking that lets you send a message directly to any forum member.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your move. I hope it all goes well!

Anyone know when the new stretch up from Botevgrad will be open?

@mickeyhart

Its supposed to be partially open on the 1st December, I will let you know next Saturday when I drop a visitor back to the airport.

@grahamstark1 thanks fellow. Gonna make a big difference that stretch. What you reckon, an hour shaved off?

@grahamstark1 Is that road open yet or am I going detour again? Was thinking on doing Sofia or Vratsa for New Year, maybe try my luck ringing it in with a new dama. What do you reckon  Sofia or Vratsa this time?

@mickeyhart

Hi buddy, i tried to find the post to reply to you and couldn't.

No its not open but Waze will try and tell you it is, the best detour is still through Pavolche, the detour through Kreta and Mezdra is horrendous unless you have a 4x4.

It takes me just over 2hrs to the airport in my Renault Trafic going up through Pavolche to Botevgrad.

@grahamstark1 having a gander at waze thanks mate.

It was still bleeding closed! Left my car at Mezdra and got the BDZ down to Sofia for NY, lovely line along the gorge. At least train tickets are still cheap as chips out here. Cost less than a fiver!

@mickeyhart Is this because of Snow Mick ?

@KEDDLE

Hi mate..hope your feeling a lot better and every thing is going well.

Am in the UK ATM..but will be in BG around Easter time.

All the best.

@georgewheelwright No George. Us Vratsa boys are getting a pukka new motorway!