Newbie Pattaya

Hello everyone

Im currently looking at Condo's around Pratumnuk Hill and Jomtien. Any good complexes (or bad ones!) that anyone can flag. Will be visiting in August just to look at properties so any hot tips will mostlikely save me a lot of time and narrow my search.

I will be flying in and out weekly once I move there due to my work but to put and end to that, am starting to look into mayvbe starting a small business in Pattaya City or anywhere touristy. Maybe a small sports bar? There are some pit falls with that I know and I can always fall back on my FIFO work if it didn't work out.

Anyways, just thought I would introduce myself and see what any expats with good local knowledge and experience can offer me in the way of advice.

@johnallan72 = looking for a condo: To purchase or to Rent? When I was on FIFO from Perth to Barrow Island a decade ago, it was reasonable with AU$ > US& exchange rate to buy & rent out. Legally I was renting my condo(s) and flights to examine & fix up rental properties were legitimate tax deduction. Many expats were making small losses from sport-bars at the time. Thailand is only started to climb out of economic abyss from imposed covidophobia.   

@johnallan72 - Howdy. 

Probably best if you engage a reputable real estate agent, give them a detailed list of what you want in the property (area, type, location, budget, etc.) and have them set up viewings for you.  That'll result in the most efficient use of time, and will maximize the probability of you getting a condo that meets all your requirements.

I used two different real estate agents, both very knowledgeable and "not scummy" before purchasing my condo.  The first one arranged for us to see a few very nice properties in Jomtien and specializes in that area.  We saw all the properties we wanted to evaluate in one morning.  The second dealt with a different part of the city.  Happy to introduce you to the them.

Cheers!

Hello everyone
Im currently looking at Condo's around Pratumnuk Hill and Jomtien. Any good complexes (or bad ones!) that anyone can flag. Will be visiting in August just to look at properties so any hot tips will mostlikely save me a lot of time and narrow my search.

I will be flying in and out weekly once I move there due to my work but to put and end to that, am starting to look into mayvbe starting a small business in Pattaya City or anywhere touristy. Maybe a small sports bar? There are some pit falls with that I know and I can always fall back on my FIFO work if it didn't work out.

Anyways, just thought I would introduce myself and see what any expats with good local knowledge and experience can offer me in the way of advice.
-@johnallan72

Don't stay up in Pratumnik,ok? Go for Jomtien instead.

@Leeds forever! wrote:

Hi!  Pure curiosity:  what's wrong with Pratumnak as a place for a condo?  Have a great Sunday!

@Leeds forever! wrote:

Hi! Pure curiosity: what's wrong with Pratumnak as a place for a condo? Have a great Sunday!
-@pr3d4t0r

If it was just about the condo, nothing wrong. But living there long term is another story. That's why most people prefer Jomtien and even Naklua. Don't forget that you're a rookie here, and you have asked questions about everything possible. You don't know anything about Banglamung district and differences between areas.

@Leeds forever! wrote:

If it was just about the condo, nothing wrong. But living there long term is another story. That's why most people prefer Jomtien and even Naklua. Don't forget that you're a rookie here, and you have asked questions about everything possible. You don't know anything about Banglamung district and differences between areas.

Indeed.  Hence why we're moving to Naklua - we evaluated that and Jomtien, determined which one worked best for us.

What's wrong with Pratumnak?  Dangerous/sketchy?  Not enough stores?  Does it get bad during the rainy season (e.g. the unknowing buy property in the Acapulco hills and get flooded)?  Hard to get in/out?  Very curious now -- I've always stayed in that area.  It looks great for hotels/resorts, not so great for day-to-day stuff.  Thanks and cheers!