Non immigrant O-A visa extension

Hi everyone,

Can anyone here confirm I can extend in Thailand my 1 year non Immigrant O-A visa issued by the Thai Embassy in France?

It seems so according to the searches I have made... but still a little bit confusing and lacking some details...

• Can I get 1 year extension?
  • Can I do it on line, or do I need to go to immigration offices (Living in Nonthaburi)
  • I understand the 2 conditions are the 800,000 THB and housing address!

Did I miss something else?

Thank you for your time.

@bratstvo i honestly don't know about the year extension, but i do know about having problems getting back my 800,000 baht   In fact, first they said i couldn't withdrawl the 800,000 when i left Thailand, and then refused to wire me tbe .money after i did leave thailand..

It's no secret that the Thai government considers OA holdets to be "Cheap Charlies", and would eather have us replaced with wealthier retirees. So far, most of those aren't biting.

Hi everyone,
Can anyone here confirm I can extend in Thailand my 1 year non Immigrant O-A visa issued by the Thai Embassy in France?
It seems so according to the searches I have made... but still a little bit confusing and lacking some details...
Can I get 1 year extension?
Can I do it on line, or do I need to go to immigration offices (Living in Nonthaburi)
I understand the 2 conditions are the 800,000 THB and housing address!
Did I miss something else?
Thank you for your time.
-@bratstvo

Yes, you can extend it annually at the local immigration office. You need 800k in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to the day of application. If you don't have a Thai bank account that's the thing to start with. You need an official address,of course. You also need a 1 year health insurance.

@bratstvo i honestly don't know about the year extension, but i do know about having problems getting back my 800,000 baht  In fact, first they said i couldn't withdrawl the 800,000 when i left Thailand, and then refused to wire me tbe .money after i did leave thailand..
It's no secret that the Thai government considers OA holdets to be "Cheap Charlies", and would eather have us replaced with wealthier retirees. So far, most of those aren't biting.
-@ebxebx

Stop posting nonsense if you don't know the answer. There's no difference between an O-A and  O when it comes to annual extensions except for the health insurance.

@Leeds forever! Thanks so much for replying. Take care.

@Leeds forever! Thanks again.

This lead to a new question...

At the end of this 1 year extension, can we extend again? If yes, how many times can we repeat this process?

thanks

@Leeds forever! Thanks again.
This lead to a new question...
At the end of this 1 year extension, can we extend again? If yes, how many times can we repeat this process?
thanks
-@bratstvo

I said annually,you can do it over and over again as long as you meet the requirements, that includes an expensive 12 months health insurance. You shouldn't have gone for the O-A visa. Wait until you have about 30 days left of the permission of stay until you extend it. Never do it close the expiration date if shit happens.

@Leeds forever! Thanks again. Take care.

Hi Leeds forever,

Looking on the immigration website for O-A extension, I found this condition :

6.2 In the case of purchasing foreign health insurance or having government welfare from abroad,
 it must be certified by a foreign embassy in Thailand. or certifying the signature of the authorized signatory
on the documents presented (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant.

Something new ?

I am worried because my visa expires in 1 month and I probably wont get appointment in the embassy before at least 3 weeks? And I am not even sure they will agree to certify an insurance...

Hi Leeds forever,Looking on the immigration website for O-A extension, I found this condition :     6.2 In the case of purchasing foreign health insurance or having government welfare from abroad,
 it must be certified by a foreign embassy in Thailand. or certifying the signature of the authorized signatory
on the documents presented (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant.Something new ?I am worried because my visa expires in 1 month and I probably wont get appointment in the embassy before at least 3 weeks? And I am not even sure they will agree to certify an insurance...        -@bratstvo

Which immigration website? Most foreign insurance companies won't sign the official "Foreign Insurance Certificate" and it has to be signed back home when you're applying for the insurance,but you're in Thailand. I really don't know how many embassies in Bangkok will agree to certify a foreign insurance. Can't you call the French Embassy or email them and ask them? Have you already bought the insurance? If not,then go for an insurance from a Thai company. Honestly,I will never understand why people are going for the O-A instead of the O.

The official one

immigration.co.th

not yet purchased     

i will check Thai companies

why O-A and not O

because O is only 90 days

and i could not find other information especially about extension

when you know, or afterwards, it is always easy… 😁

Thanks anyway.

enjoy your week end

The official one
immigration.co.th
not yet purchased     
i will check Thai companies
why O-A and not O
because O is only 90 days
and i could not find other information especially about extension
when you know, or afterwards, it is always easy… 😁
Thanks anyway.
enjoy your week end

-@bratstvo

The extension from an initial 90 days Non-immigrant O is exactly same as the annual extension. Exactly same requirements. Check out this website:

https://misterprakan.com/en/pass/thailand-pass?lg=en

Yesss, it is…

i agree

but when  searching information from outside thailand, you do not get the same websites list you can have here

12 months vs 3 months, i did not hesitate

with the information i had at this time 

Yesss, it is…i agreebut when  searching information from outside thailand, you do not get the same websites list you can have here 12 months vs 3 months, i did not hesitate with the information i had at this time          -@bratstvo

The 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement is designed for being extended at immigration in Thailand. I don't understand how you missed that.

This week, I went to immigration for my OA non immigrant visa extension…

I won't describe how I was treated... wrong experience ever... I was not the only one. Every foreigner in the surrounding was complaining…

After giving the required (officially listed) documents, they asked non listed documents in their checklist :

- they asked for my bank passbook (the bank statement and letter done the same morning, were not enough…)

- My rental contract (not on the list, but fortunately I always carry one…)

- and the ID of the owner (I do not have this ID with me…)

- And they ask me to draw a plan of the location my rental apartment is…

Then, they came back to my insurance and the required form to be signed by the embassy…  which was not…

Finally, they kept all my documents, except the passport and asked me :

- to come back again with the embassy signature on the insurance

- To update again my bank passbook on the same day before coming to office

- The condo owner ID

I asked the embassy… no reply yet (and it is not on the official documents list they say they can handle). More, they closed the notary department. I will go on Tuesday to try to solve that, but I am not really expecting to get a signature on this document.

Simply, because I had this sort of discussion already for something similar in a different French embassy… They explained the Embassy do not want to be sued if something goes wrong as they endorse a (private) contract they have nothing to do with…!

So, I do not expect to be able to get this visa extension…

A question for the French people here, who may have been in similar situation, please : how did you solve the following point 5.2 in their checklist…

5.2 In the case of purchasing health insurance abroad or have government welfare from abroad
, Documents certified by foreign embassies in Thailand are required. or a 
letter certifying the signature of the authorized person 
Authorized signing documents (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant in the form prescribed by the Ministry of Public Health.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the week end.

This week, I went to immigration for my OA non immigrant visa extension…I won't describe how I was treated... wrong experience ever... I was not the only one. Every foreigner in the surrounding was complaining…After giving the required (officially listed) documents, they asked non listed documents in their checklist :- they asked for my bank passbook (the bank statement and letter done the same morning, were not enough…)- My rental contract (not on the list, but fortunately I always carry one…)- and the ID of the owner (I do not have this ID with me…)- And they ask me to draw a plan of the location my rental apartment is…Then, they came back to my insurance and the required form to be signed by the embassy…  which was not…Finally, they kept all my documents, except the passport and asked me :- to come back again with the embassy signature on the insurance- To update again my bank passbook on the same day before coming to office- The condo owner IDI asked the embassy… no reply yet (and it is not on the official documents list they say they can handle). More, they closed the notary department. I will go on Tuesday to try to solve that, but I am not really expecting to get a signature on this document.Simply, because I had this sort of discussion already for something similar in a different French embassy… They explained the Embassy do not want to be sued if something goes wrong as they endorse a (private) contract they have nothing to do with…!So, I do not expect to be able to get this visa extension…A question for the French people here, who may have been in similar situation, please : how did you solve the following point 5.2 in their checklist… 5.2 In the case of purchasing health insurance abroad or have government welfare from abroad
, Documents certified by foreign embassies in Thailand are required. or a 
letter certifying the signature of the authorized person 
Authorized signing documents (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant in the form prescribed by the Ministry of Public Health.Thanks for sharing.Enjoy the week end.        -@bratstvo

Why didn't you buy an insurance from a Thai company as I suggested earlier? I even sent you a link to Mr Prakan Insurances. Why do you make it so difficult for yourself? I said earlier, apply for the extension 30 days before the expiration date if shit happens.

About documents officially not mentioned. What the local immigration office asks for is more important than so called official documents found online.

"they asked for my bank passbook (the bank statement and letter done the same morning, were not enough…)

This is quite common at most immigration offices. It's not strange at all.

- My rental contract (not on the list, but fortunately I always carry one…)

A signed copy of the rental contract is quite common at most immigration offices.

- and the ID of the owner (I do not have this ID with me…)

A signed copy of the owner/landlords ID-card is also quite often asked for.

- And they ask me to draw a plan of the location my rental apartment is…

This is also quite common at some immigration offices even if it's quite silly. I've never been asked to draw one.

As I see it, the only problem will be the insurance, but if you're lucky MFA might notarize it. I have heard of people paying for the notarization, and I'm not talking about the official fee. ฿5.000 was mentioned once. Just saying.

@bratstvo which office did you go to?

@davecndn

Chaengwattana

@bratstvo which office did you go to?         -@davecndn

I think he's staying in Nonthaburi because he was talking about updating his bank book there. He opened his FCD account in Bangkok,but I don't know when. It's his first 1 year extension. I might be wrong, though. It's a bit confusing because he created the topic in the Pattaya Forum.

@davecndn
Chaengwattana

-@bratstvo

Did you get your insurance notarized?

@bratstvo ok thanks. not sure where that is but during my research I read stick to Sukumviht area or at the bkk airport for best farang service. I believe this was on aseannow. 

@bratstvo ill be sure to avoid that one

@bratstvo i can totally empathize with you on the lack of clarity and frustration.  theres always something it seems.  i ask 3 things to 3 people in the same office they will each answer differently or give me the i dunno stare.  Have you considered doing a quick visa run so you have some more time?

@bratstvo ok thanks. not sure where that is but during my research I read stick to Sukumviht area or at the bkk airport for best farang service. I believe this was on aseannow.          -@davecndn

Chaengwattana is the immigration complex in north Bangkok where you have to go if you're staying in Bangkok.There's no way around it.

@bratstvo i can totally empathize with you on the lack of clarity and frustration.  theres always something it seems.  i ask 3 things to 3 people in the same office they will each answer differently or give me the i dunno stare.  Have you considered doing a quick visa run so you have some more time?

-@davecndn

He's on an initial O-A visa. He can't do a visa run because he'll have to start all over again.

@Leeds forever! i am out in Rangsit, its like Issan out here.  Nobody speaks english.  we tried to open thai bank account for my wife and they were clueless(bangkok  bank). you can only have 1 person use the phone app i have to use computer to log into my account.  We took grab and stayed at hotel last night bkk, sole purpose was to open my savings account today.  went to bangkok bank silom headquarter.  This basic thing took 4 freaking hours but got it done. but they give you 90 days to get sht done.  but we both agreed knowledge is night n day. This is all basic stuff you can get done in america, online takes 1 minute.  in branch 30 minutes if that.  i can go any branch. it is very frustrating and we will be moving to bangkok in a few months i cannot wait.

@Leeds forever! jesus…Leeds you can be brutallly honest with me i can handle it.  i actually prefer it

@Leeds forever! seems like this would be only solution left.  even if its a crap policy

@Leeds forever! nooe not yet.  my wife consulted with someone,  actually in nonthaburi they seem astute enough.  they did not mention this i will talk to my wife.  so this is must do right? even if you hire soneone?

@Leeds forever! so all of is have to go to this one location? i think my requirements are different due to thai marriage? they talked about wedding certificate translated certified etc.  they said nothing about insurance i will mention to my wife. 

you use siam legal right? I saw another person said not to use?

@Leeds forever! i am out in Rangsit, its like Issan out here.  Nobody speaks english.  we tried to open thai bank account for my wife and they were clueless(bangkok  bank). you can only have 1 person use the phone app i have to use computer to log into my account.  We took grab and stayed at hotel last night bkk, sole purpose was to open my savings account today.  went to bangkok bank silom headquarter.  This basic thing took 4 freaking hours but got it done. but they give you 90 days to get sht done.  but we both agreed knowledge is night n day. This is all basic stuff you can get done in america, online takes 1 minute.  in branch 30 minutes if that.  i can go any branch. it is very frustrating and we will be moving to bangkok in a few months i cannot wait.

-@davecndn

Didn't you say your wife is thai? So why were there a problem opening a bank account in her name? A Thai national can open a bank account anywhere. The only requirement is a Thai ID-card.

Just out of curiosity. Why stay in Bangkok and why open a bank account at Bangkok Banks head office on Silom Road.Unless you're staying nearby.

@Leeds forever! so all of is have to go to this one location? i think my requirements are different due to thai marriage? they talked about wedding certificate translated certified etc.  they said nothing about insurance i will mention to my wife. 
you use siam legal right? I saw another person said not to use?

-@davecndn

Never use Siam Legal, it's just a rip off. You dont need a health insurance unless you're on an O-A visa. You must do every immigration issue at Chaengwattana immigration if staying in Bangkok but requirements differ a bit compared to a retirement extension. Where did you get married? In the US or in Thailand.

My wife thai.    problem with card swipe not  working transactions not showing up not being able to log in etc not like citizen/immigration issue. Technical and clerical human mistake issue. 

because i read over n over go to bangkok bank in sukumviht or Silom.  I tried open same branch in future park rangsit they said they dont know.  we went to bkk on weekend to go out n hang out stayed at hotel.  stopped at silom headquarter spoke to someone they said i had to get marriage certified so we hired a lawyer to do that then we went down got a room again.  its a btch. i did this because where i lived the people did not know what to do or how to do it.

Trust me Leeds i had to do it this way.

@Leeds forever! dont insult me. in USA not here I would never.

@bratstvo viswics.com

This is the company I will be using.  my wife spoke to them they told her exactly what they need.  she said they seem astute.  i hope they can help you.

good luck brother.

www.viswics.com

@Leeds forever! lol ok thanks.  but they get things done? out of pure curiosity what do they charge you?

My wife thai.    problem with card swipe not  working transactions not showing up not being able to log in etc not like citizen/immigration issue. Technical and clerical human mistake issue.  because i read over n over go to bangkok bank in sukumviht or Silom.  I tried open same branch in future park rangsit they said they dont know.  we went to bkk on weekend to go out n hang out stayed at hotel.  stopped at silom headquarter spoke to someone they said i had to get marriage certified so we hired a lawyer to do that then we went down got a room again.  its a btch. i did this because where i lived the people did not know what to do or how to do it. Trust me Leeds i had to do it this way.         -@davecndn

Your marriage license has to be translated and notarized by the MFA in Bangkok if you were married in the US. It's crucial.Without it you can't apply for an extension based on marriage.

I've been living in Thailand many years, and I have never used an agency or even asked a living person about immigration issues or banking issues. I've had bank accounts in 3 provinces and have never had any problems what so ever.

I'm staying in Jomtien Beach just 5 minutes away from immigration and my annual extensions never takes longer than 3 min inside immigration. I'm not joking. But at Chaengwattana it will probably take at least 2-3 hours if you're lucky.

I did not understand what you said about your phone number and the need for using a computer to log in. Don't you have a smart phone with a sim-card in your name with the Bangkok Bank app installed?

@Leeds forever! dont insult me. in USA not here I would never.

-@davecndn

If you were married in Thailand it would be so much easier. Just a copy of the marriage license from the district office. Done.The US Embassy in Bangkok have stopped notarizing marriage licenses. Meaning a lot of people from the US married to a thai in the US suddenly needed the license to be translated and notarized elsewhere plus the final notarization at the MFA. Many panicked. It's not so difficult if you know how. Using an agent might be ok. But using an agent for the extension at immigration is in my opinion pure stupidity. Just a waste of money. If staying in Thailand long term you need to learn how to do things the correct way yourself. It's actually very easy.

@Leeds forever! lol ok thanks.  but they get things done? out of pure curiosity what do they charge you?

-@davecndn

I have never paid a dime to anyone. I can do my extensions in my sleep. Cost: ฿1.900/year at immigration + ฿100 for the bank letter at Bangkok Bank.