The importance of local language in Panama

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Panama.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Panama? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Panama?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Spanish is the language of Panama. Yes it is difficult but very worth it.

There are many resources - books, classes, websites, etc. etc.

I don't know about business.

IMO Spanish is critical in understanding the local culture. You can talk with people directly and ask questions. I've learned and experienced so many things that never would have happened without my Panamanian friends.

It is customary to start with a greeting and small talk before launching into whatever is on your mind. For those of us who are accustomed to - "Hi, I want a tomato" it's different - "Hi, how are you? Warm day out. What a nice store. You have a lot of good things here. I'm looking for a tomato."  ...  you get the idea

I've found Spanish very important for daily life. Maybe in spots full of expats you'll find many English speakers, but otherwise expect to use your Spanish for shopping and other services. Here in David, it's rare to find anyone who speaks English when you need your car fixed, something done in your house, help finding something you need to buy, etc.

Panamanians really really appreciate it when they see you are trying, even if your Spanish isn't good. I carried a dictionary for many years and had a good time hunting for words with the person I was talking with.

My $.02 worth. They say it's good exercise for your brain too 

The level of English in Panama is not as high as tourists/expats expected to be, so many have been left disappointed. I think it is very important to study Spanish if you plan to live long-term in Panama, just like anywhere else in Latin America.

@Cheryl

Hello.

I have lived in Panama for 23 years. I was married to a Panamanian for 10 years who never spoke one word of English to me. Between her and her family English was never spoken in my home except when once in a while my brother would visit me.  After I was divorced I married a girl from the Dominican Republic who also spoke no English. Most of my friends can't speak English. Needless to say I am very fluent in Spanish. It has become my principle language for everyday use. When I first came here I never hung out with expats. Always with Panamanians. You come to a new country and you hang out with local people and that way you learn their language. I became a Panamanian citizen in 2013. I vote in the local elections. I joined a political party. Once in awhile I meet an expat and of course I use English but I mostly use Spanish for everyday conversation. Of course it is great that my native language is English and I read the news in English on the internet. Learning Spanish has been very positive for me. Languages are alive and learning a new one really well expands your way of thinking. It is a very positive experience. I travel to Medellin once in awhile and I find that Colombians in general are better educated than Panamanians and speak better Spanish. Knowing the language makes my trips to Colombia a lot more interesting than they otherwise would be. When they see that you are an American but speak their language fluently it seems that they are extra friendly to you. Actually I haven't been back to the US in over ten years. My American passport is empty but my Panamanian passport is full of stamps. If I would go back to the US I would experience cultural shock. Probably I will never go back. I have Medicare but I have never used it once. I am 82 yers old. I first came to Panama in December 1999.

Thanks for your history and input. My wife and I are moving to Panama soon. We have both been studying Spanish for about a year... Much more to learn but a good start....I agree, it is important to be able to communicate in the native language. Even if mey Spanish might be at a grade school level .  Working on it...