Moving from US to Spain - Detention (Not Arrest) on Record

Does anyone know if having a "detention only, not arrest" on your US record will count as a criminal record in Spain? Cops can detain you for anything when they see fit here and because of a misunderstanding they detained me but then let me go and I got a letter saying I was not arrested, only detained (so therefore no crime happened, no charges brought, no conviction). In the US that is not considered a criminal record but in case that shows up (since they did fingerprint me), does anyone know if Spain will consider it as one?

@Dani Ramz

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your potential move to Spain!

A criminal record check normally only shows criminal convictions. So I doubt that a detention would even show up! Even if it does, you can explain it as you've done here (especially if you still have a copy of the letter), so I encourage you to proceed with your application.

It can't show up on your criminal background check without a crime being committed .  Your background check will show a clean slate。

@Dani Ramz The Spanish authorities only will consider the crimminal records that appear on your FBI crimminal check repor (in some cases they accept the State´s ones). The authorities will consider the some facts of the crimminal records:

-Timing when they were commited

-If it was a prision sentence

-if the offence is consider serius in the Spanish law or it constitutes a danger to society.

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

@ Loreniaaquino, please note that contact details should not be posted on the forum and that professionals are not allowed to promote any kind of services on the forum. They should register in the Spain business directory should they want to offer their services to members.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna