General questions and information wanted

Hello! My fiancé and I are considering a move to the boquete region, we are from the United States.  although we have not traveled there as of yet it will be our honeymoon and we will be looking at areas to consider moving to along with attempting to submerse ourself in the culture the best we can. My wife to be and myself are in our mid 30's she works remotely in the legal field and I am a stainless steel welder and engineer. On her end she is set for work so long as she has a internet connection but myself I would be adjusting my career, I have a idea of what I would like to do potentially but have no way of knowing if it's a good idea or not without help.

I am considering building a distillery/ winery, what I do not know is if there is a need or a demand for the products that I would be able to make. I understand that grapes do not grow very well in the region but wine can be made from most any fruit. My largest tho g that I'm looking for is I do not want to attempt to compete or flood the market with a product that's already available in abundance. Furthermore I want to be both a useful service to the expat community along with the locals. The amount of income im looking or hoping to make is only are 30-40k a year and I do not want to over price things so the majority of the populous cannot afford it. I honestly just want to be a useful member of the community and play a lot of golf. If there is anyone that has any tips pointers or further local knowledge of what may be a better use of my skills or what's needed more in the region I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to learning from each of the responses.

Have you looked into visas yet? You don't say what your nationality is, but to get residency visas in Panama usually requires opening a company, purchasing property or an investment first. Panama does not offer nomad visas for remote working to my knowledge. I've used this law firm and their website is very helpful. https://kraemerlaw.com/en/home/

I've never seen domestic grapes in Panama. Panama does produce abundant strawberries though and I know you can make wine from strawberries.

You may want to look at Volcán in addition to Boquete. It's quieter and less expensive but also has far fewer expats.

@kgilberg59

Thank you for your response, all of that is very helpful i greatly appreciate it!

There's a thriving craft brewery in Boquete that offers beer, food, and live music. (https://boquetebrewingcompany.com/) Maybe something like that, a combination thing that gives people more than one reason to come to your business. If it's just wine, there is a large selection in every supermarket and I think it's less expensive than the same wines in the US. Just a couple thoughts from someone who knows very little about wine or the business.

@kristc99

thank you!  I really appreciate your feedback on that, your most likely absolutely correct, im honestly trying to work only a few hours a day if possible I also do not want to take away from the brewery but making something that's likely to bring people to my product would be more helpful than bringing a product to them!

is hi and cool there , many expats and good restaurants lovely city . my one negative i spent three days there and at 5 or 6 in the morning i have to have my coffe as it " moves me " .. the heat and humidity is great for the skin and aches and pains . one bad knee i was living on celebrex 2 or 3 a day eating my stomach up 3 months here and no more pain pills ,, second day there i could not walk from the cold damp early moring fog and cool early morning chill .. any one ever sat on a deer stand knows exactly what i am talking about .. not a beer drinker my self but imported gato negro at price mart is best for the price you just have decanter it , the longer the better

@bretthahner

Hi Brett,

I have a company here that we started 9 years ago and has grown considerably over the years.

It is in a very different field than you are discussing and business is business.

I would be happy to share my insight, experience and the challenges we encountered with you.

You can email me at *** if you would like to chat.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

safe beaches for Canadian couples for one month visit?

thks