Your first days in your home in Malta

Hello everyone,

Do you remember the first time you set foot in Malta? One of your main concerns must have been the settling down process in your new home.

Share your experience and tell us what it was like to find your new home in Malta and how the moving-in process worked for you.

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search?

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in Malta?

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Thank you for this topic 🥰

My name is Edri and i came to Malta end of september 2022 from Albania with my family.

Finding an apartment and narrowing down the locations was a bit struggling at first. As most other people we tried reaching out to different agents through facebook and we were a little disaapointed when they would send optios way above our budget and not offer any advice and such.

After finally finding an apartment and very nice landlords that would accept a 3 year old kid we found the process easier and also managed to find jobs really quickly

I am now working as an agent myself trying to help others like me and offer advice and extend my help to the best of my abilities so that other people can have a better experience in finding their future home 🥰

First came as a tourist in order to check out locations and facilities. After my wife decided this place is suitable for us we looked for decent accommodation. This is what we have done and after 2 years everything was fixed. The developer called us and said everything is ready for you.  I took my car, my TV, my wife and myself   to drive across to Malta. After 3 days I arrived. However, my furniture did not arrive yet and I asked the developer for advice. He told me I just evicted somebody else and you can move into that flat until your furniture arrives. This took only 4 weeks and in the meantime I made my car and myself acquainted with the republic. After paying for electricity we were allowed to move into our flat and enjoy the pleasures of this independent nation accommodating so many people from foreign shores. Even though our journey did not take as long as a ship journey from INDIA to Mauritius we enjoyed it a lot.

I came for a job in which the company provided a shared apartment. Otherwise during summertime forget to find something. They will rip you off. The best thing is to sign a contract at the beginjinb of the year

We came here on holiday with our family in May 2012, came back for another holiday in

September that year. decided we would live here so in the December we found a house

to rent in Gharb and moved here March 2013.  We are now in our third rental this

time in Victoria which is convenient for the shops, restaurants and hospital.

We have been lucky as all our landlords have been very good.