Being a trans teacher in China

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to China to teach English, but I'm a trans woman. Are there any other trans teachers here? What's it like getting hormones in china? Will I face any discrimination from employers?

Thank you

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of moving to China to teach English, but I'm a trans woman. Are there any other trans teachers here? What's it like getting hormones in china? Will I face any discrimination from employers?

Thank you
-@Franaw55

Hi Franaw55,

I'm a local citizen in Central China. There are several English teachers in my daughter's kindergarten. They are not professional teachers with certificates. Some of them are foreign students studying in China, and some of them might be tourists who stay in China for months. But for teaching kids, it is enough. And it is very common in kindergartens. But as a trans woman, it may be difficult for you to feel comfortable, even there won't be discrimination here.

@Franaw55 From what I've seen living here going on 5 years, you will most likely not face any outright discrimination. Even Chinese people who don't understand or even "approve of" trans people will not feel so strongly about it as to harrass you over it or even have a conversation about it in front of you (young Chinese people will almost certainly air their opinions online though, where I have seen plenty of ugly remarks and behavior in my time).

This is how I've come to understand LGBT stuff in China: many, many people outright support it these days. Those who don't will, for the most part, not care enough to even be openly rude about it. It's not like how it is in the US or in England where it's this really extreme issue that moves bigoted people to violence. So yes, there are absolutely people who just will not get it, nor will they be willing to, but they also won't want to make your life harder or give you any grief about it.

My advice: if you want to come here to be a teacher, go for it, but you might want to try teaching older students - high schoolers at the very youngest - and university would be your sweet spot. People in all countries are pretty precious about their children, and I have seen some very reactionary and conservative attitudes come from seemingly out of nowhere once young Chinese people become parents. Something to keep in mind. More research would probably be good.

May I suggest Chengdu Sichuan for you, they are very accepting and friendly people

I want to be supportive of your lifestyle, and decisions. But what the reality is something different than what all of your advocates suggest.

To teach in China legally, you need to have a Z-visa.

That includes a series of documentation, a school that will sponsor you, and a PSY evaluation.

Sponsorship

So, the first step is to find a school. Many schools inside of China are very progressive, and so that's a plus on your side. And if you have them supporting you, the processing and paperwork will flow naturally. But you also must accept that openly trans is NOT a common experience inside of China. The Headmaster will take that into account. He / She serves the local people in the community. What they think will reflect his longevity in that role.

In general, you will need to get a tourist visa, and visit the schools face to face, and interview with them. The process is the same regardless of your personal considerations. You find a school and they sponsor you. You interview, and you charm. Then you are giving an opportunity.

Documentation

You will need to show proof that your qualifications are present, and that everything is filled out properly.

There are no Trans applications, as it is not recognized as a gender. The way around this is to check off both boxes. Then when asked you simply explain that you were born one gender and medically modified yourself to another gender. This will then be reflected in the notes.

Once that hurtle is overcome, all else flows.

Interview and PSY

This is standard, and you will be interviewed. You will need to make your case why China should employ you (as a foreigner) instead of a local. Your strength lies in your uniqueness. I would recommend that you emphasize your differences, and that will set you apart. Depending on the school, would probably be to your advantage in some schools, while to your determent in others. It's a regional effect.

Summary

With the proper background, and documentation, you shouldn't have any problems getting a Z-visa and teaching in China. You will suffer through the same cascade of hurtles that all entrants suffer through. I recommend that you emphasize your uniqueness, and value as such. Do NOT try to "slide into the system" by hiding who you are. That is a very bad action.

Be yourself. Be proud of who you are. And put your best foot forward.

Good luck.

Final notes

[1] Do not, for once, think of teaching or working in China without a Z-visa. That is a very dangerous thing to do. Do not do it. When in China, you obey the law.

[2] China is a nation of friendly and curious people. You will find accptance by most Chinese, and more than your fair share of curiosity. Do not be offended by it.

[3] China is also a traditional nation. Importation of non-Chinese values will not be openly accepted on a personal basis. You might be a fascinating curiosity, but will parents allow you to teach their children?