Leaving then returning to Thailand

Hello

I have a family emergency so I must leave Thailand and will be

gone past my extension date.

I came to Thailand with the non-immigrant OA. I'm hoping when

I return here I can get the 30 day on arrival and before it is done apply

for the one year extension. My bank requirements will be satisfied

for the 800k. Don't know if I will need the medical but can get it if

needed. Don't know when I will be back 3, 4 or 6 months.

I'm probably missing something and things rarely go smoothly here.

Can someone tell me is there anything I need to do before departing

to the US to make it easier coming back?

Thanks for any help

Hello
I have a family emergency so I must leave Thailand and will be
gone past my extension date.
I came to Thailand with the non-immigrant OA. I'm hoping when
I return here I can get the 30 day on arrival and before it is done apply
for the one year extension. My bank requirements will be satisfied
for the 800k. Don't know if I will need the medical but can get it if
needed. Don't know when I will be back 3, 4 or 6 months.

I'm probably missing something and things rarely go smoothly here.
Can someone tell me is there anything I need to do before departing
to the US to make it easier coming back?

Thanks for any help
-@scbrock

If arriving on a 30 days visa exempt, you must apply for a change of visa at the local immigration office, from the 30 days visa exempt to a 90 days Non-immigrant O. Then after ~60 days into those 90 days apply for the 1 year extension. It's much easier to return on a 90 days Non-immigrant O applied for in the US and then after ~60 days apply for the 1 year extension based on the Non-immigrant O. You might need an insurance, but only for those 90 days, and you can apply for that insurance online. Never go for an O-A again.

Thanks for any help
-@scbrock
If arriving on a 30 days visa exempt, you must apply for a change of visa at the local immigration office, from the 30 days visa exempt to a 90 days Non-immigrant O. Then after ~60 days into those 90 days apply for the 1 year extension. It's much easier to return on a 90 days Non-immigrant O applied for in the US and then after ~60 days apply for the 1 year extension based on the Non-immigrant O. You might need an insurance, but only for those 90 days, and you can apply for that insurance online. Never go for an O-A again.
-@Leeds forever!

So I should return on a 90 days Non-immigrant O applied for in the US. -- ok excellent advice

"Never go for an O-A again." Is that mainly because of the medical requirement?

Thanks for any help
-@scbrock
-@Leeds forever!
So I should return on a 90 days Non-immigrant O applied for in the US. -- ok excellent advice

"Never go for an O-A again." Is that mainly because of the medical requirement?
-@scbrock

Yes, because if/when you need an insurance when you're in Thailand, there are many to chose from and on your terms. You can pick an insurance that suits your needs.I guess you have a still existing health insurance now? It will expire when your extension based on your O-A expires.

Hi Leeds Forever!

I am interested by this topic. I am French, retired and I came on O-A non immigrant. That is my second year on this type of visa.

So, I understand it is better

1. to come on 30 days visa exempt,

2. After arrival to ask 90 days Non-immigrant O at the local immigration office

3. Within 60 days, ask for 1 year extension based on Non-immigrant O

Then what will happen after the end of this 1 year extension?

What can you do?

Repeat the whole process again and again?

Is the Non-immigrant O multiple entry visa or I have to start the entire process again?

Sorry for all my questions, but this O-A does not make me happy.

Thanks for your time and help for clarification.

Hi Leeds Forever!
I am interested by this topic. I am French, retired and I came on O-A non immigrant. That is my second year on this type of visa.
So, I understand it is better
1. to come on 30 days visa exempt,
2. After arrival to ask 90 days Non-immigrant O at the local immigration office
3. Within 60 days, ask for 1 year extension based on Non-immigrant O
Then what will happen after the end of this 1 year extension?
What can you do?
Repeat the whole process again and again?
Is the Non-immigrant O multiple entry visa or I have to start the entire process again?
Sorry for all my questions, but this O-A does not make me happy.

Thanks for your time and help for clarification.
-@bratstvo

I don't know when your current O-A expires, but if you're living long term in Thailand and you want to get rid of your O-A, there's only one way. You leave the country without a re-entry permit. When coming back your O-A is gone. You start all over again. If you're just doing a border crossing you'll get a 30 days visa exempt. Then you go for a change of visa at your immigration office. The cost for the change to a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa is 2,000 baht. But you must meet the financial requirements at immigration when applying for the change. Same when you apply for the 1 year extension. Cost: 1,900 baht. After 11 months into that 1 year extension, you just apply for another 1 year extension, same cost, 1,900 baht. But still, you must meet the requirements. If leaving the country while on an extension you must apply for a re-entry permit and return before the extension expires.

My current O-A vis expires in November.

so I will enjoy it until its term, then I will follow your procedure.

thanks very much. Really appreciate.

Just my 2-baht worth (please correct me if I'm wrong)... My 1 year extension expires in Feb 2024. Next week I need to head back to the States for a couple weeks. A TM-08 stamp (re-entry stamp) is required before I return.

If you don't get a TM08 before you leave...then what ever time you have left on you current visa, is lost-reset to zero the next time you enter the country. For me this would mean "lost of 10 month" if I didn't have the TM-08 stamp. This "extra stamp" can be either a Single entry or a Multiple entry stamp ($ - $$$).  You can get this stamp at any immigration office, or I'm told they also at the airport when you go through the  "international" immigration area. I received my stamp at the smaller immigration office (Central Festival Mall, Chiang-mai) which took about 1 hr 20 mins, I'm told at BKK airport immigration it only takes 20 mins once you fill out the paper work, and other requirements.

In theory if I didn't have the TM08 stamp, the next time I enter Thailand, my current 1 year extension would be invalid, I would then have to start over with either a 30 - 45 day visa exempt, or arrange for the 90 day visa O-A...and then reapply for the 1 year extension. If you've already taken care of the 800K bank requirement, then its should be just a matter of re-applying for an 1-year extension.

Just my 2-baht worth (please correct me if I'm wrong)... My 1 year extension expires in Feb 2024. Next week I need to head back to the States for a couple weeks. A TM-08 stamp (re-entry stamp) is required before I return.
If you don't get a TM08 before you leave...then what ever time you have left on you current visa, is lost-reset to zero the next time you enter the country. For me this would mean "lost of 10 month" if I didn't have the TM-08 stamp. This "extra stamp" can be either a Single entry or a Multiple entry stamp ($ - $$$). You can get this stamp at any immigration office, or I'm told they also at the airport when you go through the "international" immigration area. I received my stamp at the smaller immigration office (Central Festival Mall, Chiang-mai) which took about 1 hr 20 mins, I'm told at BKK airport immigration it only takes 20 mins once you fill out the paper work, and other requirements.
In theory if I didn't have the TM08 stamp, the next time I enter Thailand, my current 1 year extension would be invalid, I would then have to start over with either a 30 - 45 day visa exempt, or arrange for the 90 day visa O-A...and then reapply for the 1 year extension. If you've already taken care of the 800K bank requirement, then its should be just a matter of re-applying for an 1-year extension.
-@WiredTight

There's no 90 days Non-immigrant O-A, just an O. And only a 30 days visa exempt from April 1 this year, and you can't go from a 30 days visa exempt to a 1 year extension. There's a step in between as I described earlier.