Post-Covid-19 situation in Egypt

Hello everyone,

The COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the world, including on expats' lives. Travel restrictions, business closures, budget cuts, and health measures have created unprecedented challenges for those who have chosen to live in Egypt.

Now that the pandemic is moderated, expats are adjusting to a new daily routine. So tell us, how is your expat life now:

Are there still any health measures in place in Egypt? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in Egypt?

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in Egypt?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com team

@Mickael

Hello,

I haven't updated my internal expat file. I have been retired since the beginning of 2021. Having rubbed shoulders with people here, I can say that there are no barrier measures. The population lives without restriction from the barrier measures. But me, to protect myself, I prefer to put on my mask. In the world of work, I don't know what really applies in Cairo where I currently live.

Best regards

Hi all,  I hope your stay in Egypt is pleasant.  It certainly is a beautiful country, rich in fascinating history, and safer than most, generally.

I've learned that, as with every place, you can't believe everything you hear.  If someone offers you a "good price," it's still not the Egyptian price bc they automatically assume that every American (or any foreignor, almost) is super rich and still has a job in the US, or has a credit card, or a house they can mortgage, or unemployment insurance (which one cannot access while abroad, btw), etc.  There are a lot of friendly people, but you never know why they are being friendly.  Some people really do have good intentions, like to help people, etc., but be wise and cautious, enjoying what appears to be a friendship, helping when possible, but prepared for the worst.  Every country has users, and Egypt is facing terrible economic odds right now.  Best advice:  Just don't go looking for love in order to avoid the biggest scams around, lol.  I was not looking for love, and I still had a point where I struggled against the charms and almost got taken.  Better now God willing.

If someone says you're like their "sister" or "brother," be kind but beware as that may change overnight when the next new foreign toy comes along.  Some people really do mean it though as they actually do have a peaceful religion (when followed properly) and big hearts.  Just don't try to  bring a pet dog as it may not be well received if it gets loose.  Even a cat might be shooed and hit out there, so be careful.

If you're in the situation of being an American who converted to Islam, God help you.  In America, you will be viewed as a terrorist, and in Egypt, you certainly won't fit in or have the basic rights the locals have, which makes sense bc they earn less and may not know if you lost your job in the US when you migrated to a Muslim country.  Of course, this is not their problem, and this earthly life is just a test.  Even in an a cloke and traditional head cover ("hijab"generally and "tarha" for one piece), they will recognize you instantly and treat you as a tourist most of the time.  Also, if you think you will find a job in the US online, know that most US "remote positions actually require you to reside in the US for tax purposes, etc.  Keep respecting yourself, (kindly but firmly), don't allow others to do less than to respect you as well, and know that the eternal reward for believing in God (Allah in Arabic) and His final message to mankind through Mohammed (blessings and peace be upon him) is so worth it in the end after this short life.

I have not had to wear a Covid mask for a while, but I think it's still "required" in government offices.

God bless, and stay (physically and emotionally) safe!

@Aya26

Thank you for sharing your experience. I traveled through Egypt on my own and later lived there for a couple of years. I met and married my husband and we've been together for almost 25  years.

I do take exception to your statement that “Even in an a cloke and traditional head cover ("hijab"generally and "tarha" for one piece), they will recognize you instantly and treat you as a tourist most of the time. ”

Until I opened my mouth and spoke English then asked and answered I was an American most couldn't figured out who I was or where I came from. The response to African-Americans is different from white tourists and there r lots of other foreigners who live and work from other African countries.

My best advice is to always be respectful. Yes, Americans, as I did, have access to more resources, certainly when they get jobs make a lot more money. But, Embassies are more cautious of people hooking up with foreigners for a ride.  My husband was questioned to death before granted a visa. He is now an US citizen. We will relocate to Egypt and hope to live a peaceful life.

Peace

@Bluelace217* That's nice!  Yes, I think my problem is being white.  I did find a position as an online agent for Vodafone, but he curtly responded that there are actually no positions available right now.  The reason was that the job was for Egyptian citizens only, which is understandable. Online jobs from the US require residence in

the US. I need to keep looking then, in order to find that job and make that extra money everyone assumes I have while being white, lol!  Thanks again for your input and encouraging story.  I wish you didn't need to go through the brutal visa process with him and could have just settled in Egypt from the beginning, but times are difficult these days.

@Aya26

Hello Aya26,

I read your post and you are absolutely right. I lived in Egypt for 2 yrs, the first yr was with my new husband and yes they treat you as a tourist if your American. The 2nd yr, I converted to Islam, alhamdulilah, but they still treated me as a tourist. At least then, lol my husband's family finally excepted me. Not that I cared at that point. But it was nice, to be around other Muslims that cared about me that I knew. Anyway, it's hard too live in Egypt, I missed my country (U.S.) I couldn't wait to get home. Which is where I am now.

P.S. It took 2 yrs for my husband to get his visa too finally come to the U.S.