Egyptian naming system...

Hi, I have just had a daughter to my egyptian fiancé and we are trying to figure out what will be her full name, we are unable to agree because of the differences with the english and egyptian naming system, does anyone know what names ande SURNAME children take from the father? I am so confused with it all as he has a very long name but no surname??

Jasmine ofc :p

Hey Sadie
Congratulations for the newborn
The naming system or norm  here in Egypt is that the child takes over the name of his/her father's fullname (first-middle-family). so you can skip any extra names and write down your fiance's name followed by his dad's name then his family name, that should do the trick.

Have a good one

Frabastic wrote:

Hey Sadie
Congratulations for the newborn
The naming system or norm  here in Egypt is that the child takes over the name of his/her father's fullname (first-middle-family). so you can skip any extra names and write down your fiance's name followed by his dad's name then his family name, that should do the trick.

Have a good one

exactly as said above, but that's in case the marriage is officially registered, so the new baby born will take the husbands full name in case she will also be registered in Egypt as his kid!
if she was born outside Egypt, then you should go to the Egyptian embassy to register her and make birth certificate. and she will not be registered in Egypt as his own daughter unless the marriage is officially in Egypt.

First of all congratulations and all the best to your little family!
I guess your baby girl isn't born in Egypt? As far as I know according to the egyptian law an unmarried mother simply doesn't exist neither does her child. An "unofficial" child has no rights to carry her fathers name, to be supported by him or to inherit from him. some guys here in the forum know much better about legal affairs, they may correct me if I'm wrong.
So if your baby was born in the UK I guess the british law will apply. In Germany an unmarried couple could choose the family name for the baby, the mother's or the father's name.

Caty

Hey Caty
It is indeed a bit complicated in the case of unmarried couples here in Egypt.
parents are required to provide a marital documentation of some sort .. or otherwise a DNA testing and a case in court must be done for completing the process which is a bit embarrassing if you care.

My opinion is if your family is in england right now then register your child according to british laws and avoid all of this nonsense as the UK is more lenient in that matter not to mention the privilege of the passport and so forth.

you all guys debating her marriage papers as long as she asked clealry about her daughter name......that's clear she won't live in Egypt, as if this was the case she could knew all what you above mentioned. Always Egypt it's turned upside down and from right to left.......nothing surprise me.

Well surprisingly we can discuss more than one issue at a thread sorry for the inconvenience !
As long as the subject matter was handled its oright to drift and get more information for all.
Thanks for the nationalist segregation and have a good eastern

Even you, Frabastic,know very well what I am talking about.

If I did see it that way I wouldn't have responded but since it is really a difficulty ppl run into here so it's oright to mention.  no offense was intended

Yes,Frabastic,consider it like that if you like it.

Congratulations! Well be prepared! Yes, be prepared! I have been through this problem. Egyptian naming system is crazy, my name "First, Middle and Last" is NOT acceptable here. So in all my documentation (My wife is Egyptian) they write "MY first name, MY middle name, MY last name + my FATHER's first name, my FATHER's middle name and my FATHER's last name". So, when I had a daughter, they wrote HER name before all of these names, YES her name takes two lines on her passport!
You are lucky in a way that your fiance is an Egyptian already. So, drop his last name the last name on his passport and add your daughter's name in the beginning. For example if your fiance's name is " D G H C" drop "C" and add your daughter's name "A" in the beginning, so her name will be "A D G H".
Hope this helps, good luck!