Long term car rental or buy a second hand car?

Hi has any member experience of long term rentals? I should be coming on a premium visa and will need to rent from anywhere from 11 to 13 months.

Or would it be cheaper to buy a second hard car and then re-sell it back to the dealer at the end of the trip?

Any leads or suggestions welcome.

@peterg123

I am renting from the owner of a local garage. He has various brand new vehicles for rent, very affordable for long term. Not sure if I am allowed to give the details in this message. Please contact me.

Hello WeeberE,

You can share the person's contact details or yours by sending a private message only.1f609.svg

Let me know if you need help with that.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Thank you @Cheryl

@WeeberE hello. I will be in Mauritius for 6 months at least, and may be looking for car rental during this time. I just need a small car if at all. Please let me know your contact.

Thanks,

Kauser

@WeeberE Hi Thanks I have sent you a PM

@peterg123 I know someone who has a family car. A Ford Estate - manual transmission - if you don't mind.

@WeeberE

I am coming to Mauritius during Oct to Nov this year for 1 month and want to rent a car can you supply me contact of local dealer with cost of rental please

Regards

Prafulkumar

Hello everyone,

Those looking for car rental services can contact the professionals listed in the Car rental in Mauritius section and compare prices they are offered.

All the best

Bhavna

I did a calculation on my case and I think buying a car is more cost saving. I bought a second hand recondition car in 2019 paid 380K, sold at 280K in 2022. Annual expenses for road registration, insurance and maintenance around 20K (please don't criticise my maintenance plan, I do it regular but I go to less expensive garage). So the gross expense monthly on the car breakdown into 3 years is around 4500. Consider I pay daily rental 1000 , it's better to buy a car. My car model was Nissan March.

@shen wei

I appreciate Shen Wei's responses which are always insightful.

I have found the choice to buy or rent is complicated.  If one is in the country for a year or less, buying may not make sense. 

If you buy a used car, and finance it over 60 months (let's say), about 68% of the monthly fee goes to the premium and a full 32% the first year is the interest fee!  (That's crazy!)

However, if you buy the used car outright, and sell in a year, you need to take into account foreign exchange risk (if the MUR decreases by 5% over the year against your home currency, you've just lost 5% from purchase date to sell date, not including depreciation of the car, the actual lower price that you will sell the car at, etc). 

My research has indicated both the price of rental cars and used car prices have increased markedly the last few years.  I've come across a number of somewhat unethical used car rental people and I may give up on a rental or purchase altogether.

Please reach out if you find a good salesperson or car rental person with decent rates.  I messaged a lot of them listed on this website and have made minimal progress.

I did a calculation on my case and I think buying a car is more cost saving. I bought a second hand recondition car in 2019 paid 380K, sold at 280K in 2022. Annual expenses for road registration, insurance and maintenance around 20K (please don't criticise my maintenance plan, I do it regular but I go to less expensive garage). So the gross expense monthly on the car breakdown into 3 years is around 4500. Consider I pay daily rental 1000 , it's better to buy a car. My car model was Nissan March.
-@shen wei

I want to specify that I didn't consider the currency depreciation over the years. In fact this is an important point because the inflation rate of this country I believe is more than that official figure. But still I believe the 2rd hand car for some models do have resell value in the local market and the demand is very high. I almost got shocked how many people contacted me when I put my car on sale.

@macaDive I recently am looking for cars because of moving back to Mauritius for long term. I search the market and I think most of the dealers car are around year 2017 to 2020 and a bit overpriced. Some people explain me because the dealers cars are mostly manufactured in Japan and commonly believe it's better than South Africa or India car (if anyone read this, it's ppl told me no hard feelings, ok?) Or some are special version not sold in Mauritius. If I go for car after 2020 the price is rediculas high I'd prefer buy a new car. I advise when buy 2rd hand car better to buy year not more than 7 years. After 7 years the car need to do health check at a specific place and the waiting que can kill you. I have a car insurance broker who I consider quite close and over the years I ask him handle these things for me. I asked him if any trustful dealer, he told me better buy a new car lol.

@WeeberE i saw you know someone for renting a car long term...I am moving to Mauritius in about 2 months time and really need some hel with a car! Any chance you are still able to? My name is Suzi from South Africa, email is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Please share your email in inbox (private message) click on the member's photo > send a message
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@WeeberE would you be able to help me out with this? Im moving in 2 months from South Africa and need all the help i can possibly get! Thank you!

Hello @ThatShortGirlSuzi,

Welcome on board !

Car rental is very popular in Mauritius and can easily be found.

I suggest you contact the agencies listed in the Car rental in Mauritius section and enquire about their prices. You can then choose from the best value for money deal you are offered.

All the best

Bhavna

@ThatShortGirlSuzi Hi. Car rental is very popular. However, If you are going to be here longer than 2 years or so, do consider buying a used car. Japanese cars are popular and now also the Korean brands. If you then go away after a few years you can still sell the car and get some money back.