Living in the UK, purchasing a used car from Germany and exporting it to Greece for personal use

Dear all,

I saw that there some experienced people on legal stuff and regulations and so I thought to share my problem and hopefully get some inputs from you.

I am Greek but I live during the last 8 years in the UK. I want to get a used car from Germany and export it to Greece for my personal use.

However, I encountered a problem whilst talking with a German car dealer. What he told me is that due to the brexit, the current situation is complicated since, as he said, information in the passport, the billing address and the country of export must match. The current situation is as follows:

•  My permanent address is in the UK, and I am intending to use a bank for the transaction from a UK bank (this is where i store my earnings). I understand this implies the billing address is the UK (invoice)

•  Greek passsport

•  Country of export: Greece.

Obviously, there is a mismatch in the billing address. However, I have serious doubts that this is indeed a problem. I cannot imagine this to be a real problem.

Apologies for my ignorance in the underlying rules and I would really appreciate your help on this.

Regards,

Georgios

I am also in a similar position with some

major differences

it appears you are classified as a Brit (I.. non Eu) by Greece so no matter where you bring the car from and as you don't have a Greek address and Greek residency/afm tax id you will pay an importation charge and possibly vat depending on the age, type, and emissions and size of engine

also if the car is less than euro5 (I believe) you won't be able to import the car

a solution is to buy the qualifying car as a Brit and take it to Greece for six months and then import later then if you can get Greek residency - if you can't and as a Brit you will have major issues and hassles

@PhilIpZ20201 Many thanks for your response Phillp. Indeed, I do not have a Greek address, but I do have afm and I declare tax in Greece (which is zero since I do not make money there).

Not sure if this changes anything.

@Georsala1 no not really - if your are still classified as a Brit then you are severely hampered - importing an electric vehicle though that is over 6mths old or has over 6,000km on the clock is a much better option as almost no tax to pay (If any)