Buying a car in Greece

Hi,

To be able to move in Greece, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Greece: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

hi
it's better to buy second hand if you will used for some (1~5) years , cost in good condition ( 2000~5000) € .

cost conservation. contains
1- Marketing Authorisation (150~ 300) € / year
2- insurance                       ( 200~500) € / year
fuels (100 KM / month)       ( 7 ~ 10 )    € / month
maintenance                      ( 300~600 )  year

If you are an EU citizen, you'll need a residence permit to buy a car. See https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/g … ermit.html

I think the requirement is to show you have enough funds to support yourself, either as a worker or a retiree. Usually this means proving you have an income, but perhaps having a certain amount in the bank is an acceptable alternative.

If you are an EU citizen you do not need a residents permit,that is for non EU people,you need only to register yourself at either a KEP office,the council or your local police station,they require certain ID papers and 4 small photographs I think,its cheap and fast,quite painless,I have yet to do it after 20 years,however I did meet a little trouble when I built my house,it was asked for but my husband managed to sweeten them(hes Greek)must do it people,they dont want to know how much money you have,they dont care,they presume its your problem if you starve.You do need a tax number to buy a vehicle.Dont buy a large cc engine now because there is a luxury tax on those which is going up again I think with the new measures,they are going real cheap now,some really expensive 4by4s the owners dont want because of the tax,if you can afford the tax you will find a lovely car cheap.