Mariage between a EU citizen and a refugee in the UK

I'm a EU citizen living in the UK with pre-settled status.

My partner live also in the UK with refugee status she is granted 5 years.

We have together 2children. We need to get married in the UK.

We need help with the procedure.

Your advices are welcome.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There are different rules depending on which UK country you wish to get married; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that has all the details you need.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

Thank you for your reply. We are living in Birmingham.

I have been to register office to get more information. They gave me a form to fill and told me they will call us for a meeting. But I wonder what is our status. Will they refer to Home office before we give notice? It's not too clear.

Hi again.

If you are both legally resident in the UK, then I don't envisage any problem.  My advice is to fill the form in and go to the meeting with the registry office.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

This must be checked but I understand it makes a difference to your case.

It used to be an asylum seeker registered as such is able to do things that an unregistered person can't.

This was something from a long time ago when I was seeing a Chinese lady in a similar situation so it might very well be out of date.

This must be checked but I understand it makes a difference to your case.
It used to be an asylum seeker registered as such is able to do things that an unregistered person can't.
This was something from a long time ago when I was seeing a Chinese lady in a similar situation so it might very well be out of date.
-@Fred

When I read through it, the important milestone to get past was residency; once both are legal residents in the UK, they are free to get married there.

@Fred

Thanks for your reply.

Law is changing especially after Brexit.

My girlfriend has been admitted to refugees status for 5 years. I'm French.

The registration office told me they will refer to Home office for investigation.

So I'm a bit confused.

@Cynic

Thanks for your reply.

I have filled the form 3 weeks ago but nothing until now.

@Cynic
Thanks for your reply.
I have filled the form 3 weeks ago but nothing until now.
-@amu2021

Hi again.

It may be a good idea to give them a gentle nudge to ask for an update.

Cynic

Expat Team