I have a 2018 Nissan Rogue, should we bring that?

Senior citizens looking at the border town close to Mexico due to healthcare issues.  Looking to rent close to sandy beach or in town with a pool.  Bringing 2 little dogs, which can fly on n airplane.   Will need golf cart or car to get around town and to medical appointments.   Is a golf cart reasonable or out of the question.  I have a 2018 Nissan Rogue, should we bring that?

I will attempt to answer some of the things you did not know you should know. 😁

The Beaches you want are not close to the northern boarder with Mexico. Most beaches are on the Cays and well south of Mexico.

The total number of pets the airlines allow in an aircraft cabin for each flight is limited to just a few. So you run the risk of showing up for your flight, but not being able to bring your pet aboard because other pasangers have used up the few places. Check the airline you will use. To bring pets into Belize requires health certificates from a Vet issued close to the flight date. The same when returning to the USA. You gave no indication what town/village you were interested in. Other than simple Ploy Clinics the well equipped medical facilities in Belize are in Belize city, it is not practical/safe to drive a golf cart on the highway. Driving your car across Mexico can be done, but there are real dangers, regulations and forms to fill out in both countries, insurance in both countries and large import duties to consider. Shipping a car in can be done through brokers, but is not cheep and takes time, and again the import duties.

Belize is a 3rd world country, so is vastly different from the USA in many ways. Once you start doing real research you will start to realize "you don't know what you don't know" and more questions will come into your mind.

I love Belize, I am 80, I have a heart related condition I go back to the USA for at least a month for a simple procedure called Chelation every few months,. Chelation gave me my life back since 2009. Since to qualify for Residency or QRP in Belize one is only allowed to leave Belize for 14 days total in the first year or longer, I will never get residency. Since non residence need to extend the original Visitors Permit every 30 days at a cost of $100 USD per month/per person, and pay an exit fee each time you leave the country (included in your airline ticket if flying) these costs need to be factored in.

This forum has tons of information posted by many folks over the years that you should know in order to decide if you want to come here for more than a vacation.

Good luck to you.

@albertovera007

We decided to go a different area (Cayo), but initially my wife and I entertained Corozal area for a new home. There are some settlements that seem very appropriate for expats (US-style homes), and for prices that seem very cheap to US compared to USA. On Corozal bay, there are some sandy spots. It is a brackish bay, even less surf than Caribbean, and feels like a cross between ocean and a really big lake to me. If you want the Caribbean beach experience and golfcart life plus be close to Mexico, Ambergris Caye would be the spot, but of course a caye means you can't drive to Mexico in your own car.

A nice aspect of Corozal area is it's a short trip to Chetumal, MX. The surrounding area has a lot of sugar cane fields. It's a different kind of landscape than you get on the Cayes, coastline, Cayo. A really cool thing about Belize is an hour or 2 in the car and you're in a different landscape and ecosystem.

I don't think of Corozal as being golfcart area. If you look on Facebook marketplace you'll find that's where people sell cars. A couple I met who's only planning to be in country half a year or so bought a decent vehicle with the plan to either sell or give away when it's time to leave, and still come out a lot cheaper than renting a car.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created a new thread from @albertovera007 post on the Belize forum since this question needs to be addressed on the forum.

All the best

Bhavna