Buying a car in Belize or bring one in with me ?

My friend who spent time in Belize told me a group of Menonite people had a factory in Belize and were assembling chinese car parts and selling the finished product, I dont find anything when googling it . He also mentioned the Menonite folks build modular homes and could deliver them and set everything up very inexpensivley. Has anyone heard of either of these things.
Next what about duty , taxes etc.on bringing in a motorbike and car, and pickup . I guess a 4x4 would be most practical because of the rainl season and dirt roads.

xcaret:  I think perhaps your friend was a little off base.  I've been here 5yrs and my husband 12yrs and neither of us is aware of any Mennonite car building plant (altho they do darn near everything else).  There are Chinese and Korean vehicles available here with a reasonable purchase price.  If you opt to bring a vehicle in - your best bet is a 4cyl-under3liter pick up.  The duty on that is apprx. 19%, everything else is 52%.  4x4 is not really a necessity, but high clearance is good.  As far as the Mennonite houses are concerned, I'm not sure I'd describe them as "Modular" in the sense that you may be thinking.  They are very small usually at or under 600sq.ft. in their entirety.  You could pour a slab, install columns, place it on those and at some point finish the lower space, doubling your sq.ft. They are very reasonably priced.

Thank you for the info.. This just goes to show how rumours start,my friend lived in Belize and said he had considered having one of those houses built ,he thought they were regular sized,and storm resistant.lol.
Thanks .

So is that 52% duty on a $5000 car 2500???  Not sure im understanding this.

thanks

Well, I've done a LOT of research on bringing in a car and building a house in Belize and there are a lot of misconceptions about BOTH..

1. You cannot bring in just ANY car to Belize! Any car brought in has to be no older than 3 years and if for no other reason than the cost of gasoline, 4 cyl would be best.. So forget about your 1995 Honda or Toyota.. For more info, go here --->>http://www.belizenorth.com/Vehicle_to_stay.htmhttp://www.customs.gov.bz/index.php

2. Menonite Houses can be very small, 180sf up to 800 sf for their standard houses. They can and will build a larger house custom but no prices were listed here:

http://www.lindavista.webpageplusx2.com/

Also, the prices are in BZD so it's $2 US or Canadian to $1 BZD. So a 20x40 800sf basic Menonite house @ $32,400 BZD is $16,200 US$ or Canadian$

Hope this helps answer some of your questions..

I think the Mennonite car plant that you are referring to is a misconception. At Spanish Lookout, they have a large Wingle dealership. The Wingle AKA Great Wall is a Chinese vehicle that is widely sold in Belize.

Greetings from a long time resident of Belize. I'm sorry to say that the information that one cannot import a vehicle older than three years is not true. In fact, vehicles over ten years old pay a lower duty than newer ones. I personally imported a 1996 Ford Ranger two weeks ago for my personal use. Please check with the Belize Customs website for more acuarate information.

The only time a vehicle's age plays a role is when you are QRP.

Well that's good to know because I read on one of these Belize Immigration web sites that only cars that were less than 3 years old could be brought in Duty Free for QRPs or new residents.. I guess they weren't being clear about the import requirements..

The Belize Customs web site doesn't give info on Auto's, I looked yesterday and posted the link..

Thanks!!

http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html This is the website you need.

Thanks Mr. Lee! I read this thread yesterday and just logged in to get clarification about the 3 year new vehicle. My husband and I are looking to be in Belize for the next 20 years or so...and so our plan includes a vehicle. We figured that we would buy a used beater once we arrive and drive it until one or the other of us obtains residency. Then we would fly home and drive our 6cyl 2006 4wd vehicle down in a year or so. The vehicle is paid off, and we planned to store it here until we can bring it. Will this work, do you think? Opinions?                                                                                                                         I'm a little bit of a dork and I have found myself downloading and reading the laws themselves. Here in the states, I'm the only person I know who watches the Senate feed....why not read a book of laws? lol Anyone in the know who would like to help.... feel free to contact me. and again....Mr.Lee...You da man!

Melly123 - You can bring your vehicle in any time. Even before you get residency.
The older the vehicle gets the less duty you'll pay.

I moved to Belize from Del Rio, TX last year. Our original plan was to buy a used car here, but after looking at the sorry selection that they had, cars with no brakes, cracked blocks and an assortment of other unsafe conditions, I decided to fly to Florida and buy a car there.

I found a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 187,000 miles for $1800 bucks at a repo lot. The car was in good condition, despite the high mileage so I bought it and drove it to Miami for shipment here. Shipping cost me $600 was handled by Hyde Shipping.

All totaled, my cost, which included round-trip airfare, car rental in Florida, hotel room, shipping cost and duty on the car came to about $3700 USD. This was far less than the $5000 USD that I was finding for total wrecks on car lots.

I hope this helps

Thank you very much..

Great info.. Thanks.

One auto option we have is to bring in or ship in a late model (2013) Chevy.  Is it realistic to expect to find a dealer or auto maintenance shop that can service late models that are computer intensive, etc?  I did a search on the GM website and it appears they do not have dealers in Belize.  We have another option, a 2000 Tahoe 4x4 with off-road suspension, but even those are heavy into computer diagnostics.  Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

The problem with bringing in a 2013 vehicle is that no mechanic in Belize can afford to buy the diagnostic computer that reads out the vehicles problem. The suggested latest year of vehicle to bring is not to exceed 2005.

Your 2000 Tahoe 4x4 is a very good vehicle to bring. There are quite a few already in Belize and get a very good rating as one of the best vehicles for performance on the Belizean roads.

I will point out one thing however, as mentioned many times to people planning on coming and living in Belize as an expat. You are a target as being a rich gringo whether you have little or lots. By coming to Belize with a brand new 2013 Chevy will only put a larger bullseye on your forehead as being a rich gringo. One of the biggest and most important things to keep you from beign tagged a rich gringo is to look poor and to fit in. Live and look like a Belizean this will make you not stand out so much.

One other thing is that Belizean really do not like the rich looking expats coming in and flaunting their riches. They usually take this as you are coming in with all your American, Canadian or European knowledge and ways with intent to change their ways and country. This is totally not excepted by Belizean's. Expats say they are moving to Belize for a slower, less hectic life style and a simpler life. So why bring all your expensive toys and gadgets that make you look better than the Belizean's.

Just my thoughts and two cents worth.

canadianbcgirl wrote:

I will point out one thing however, as mentioned many times to people planning on coming and living in Belize as an expat. You are a target as being a rich gringo whether you have little or lots. By coming to Belize with a brand new 2013 Chevy will only put a larger bullseye on your forehead as being a rich gringo. One of the biggest and most important things to keep you from beign tagged a rich gringo is to look poor and to fit in. Live and look like a Belizean this will make you not stand out so much.

One other thing is that Belizean really do not like the rich looking expats coming in and flaunting their riches. They usually take this as you are coming in with all your American, Canadian or European knowledge and ways with intent to change their ways and country. This is totally not excepted by Belizean's. Expats say they are moving to Belize for a slower, less hectic life style and a simpler life. So why bring all your expensive toys and gadgets that make you look better than the Belizean's.

Just my thoughts and two cents worth.

Thank you Canadianbcgirl!!  I have never lived there but we have visited many times. Our experiences when dressed as tourist coming from a cruise ship were much different than our haggard look after riding the chicken bus all day.

I especially liked this quote "Expats say they are moving to Belize for a slower, less hectic life style and a simpler life. So why bring all your expensive toys and gadgets that make you look better than the Belizean's."

Great post and thanks again for your candor.

Doglady,

you are welcome, I just like to keep it real.

Yes, many people come to Belize just off a cruise ship with all their gold and fancy American clothing on. They look at Belize and the Caribbean through rose colored glasses while in a vacation relaxed emotion. They suddenly imagine themselves living in this beautiful tropical paradise with all the amenaties of home. Not quite going to happen.

While on a vacation and away from their real lives, every place looks nice and better. But like every where in the world there are good things and bad.

Make many more trips down for longer periods of time. Find areas that would suite your wanted life style. Then meet the chairman and other respected hard working Belizean's in the village. You will soon know who is who and if you would fit in with the people.

We are planning a trip to Dangria/Hopkins area this fall and hope to spend some time in Corozal too. Having great post here is helping us narrow it down a lot.

Our original plan was to live in San Pedro but we have almost decided that we wouldn't have a yard large enough and private enough for our dogs. My husband was hoping to do a little mini-farming, ie; chickens, a garden, etc.

We are having some issues with agreeing at this point. We prefer not to have a car and don't mind the chicken bus. But I am a beach comber and he wants chickens. There are undoubtedly many places there that will fit the bill, we just have to look farther than we already have looked.

Thanks again for your candid post. I love a gal that is straight up and doesn't mince words.

There are lots available on Ambergris Caye outside of San Pedro that are large enough for a garden and a chicken coop if you don't mind being a few miles out of town. Just depends on what your budget is and the lifestyle you want to live.. You don't need a car on Ambergris Caye, just a Polaris Ute, a Golf Cart, or ATVs.. Life in Belize is much more relaxed and laid back than in the US so you really do need to adjust your expectations and decide if you can live without a lot of the things you take for granted in the US.. Just think simple and uncomplicated.. Good luck!

Hi TexBlondi2-- OurMy first choice was AC and I've contacted a few people/agents in SP about lots. I especially liked the lot at GBE on the west side. But the agent there was more interested in selling me on his newest subdivision than the one I was asking about. We asked several agents but kept getting referred back to the same person.

It was actually perfect for what we wanted but I could never get info on it. If you know of a good deal there will you private message me. I would love to get my husband headed back in that direction.

Thank all of you for your comments.  I have spent about 1/4 of my life living abroad in many different parts of the world, but not Central or South America.  Depending on where I was and the reason for being there, my accomodations have ranged from five star hotels to rat-hole hotels with one bathroom for an entire floor.  Apartments have ranged from fantastic to falling down to one room shacks in horrible slums.  Interestingly, regardless of the setting, I seldom experienced any type of crime or theft, and the natives of the area treated me with respect just as I treated them, and they all knew I was an American.  We were thinking of retiring in Belize and using it as a base of operations to travel throughout Central and South America, and we wanted a vehicle that would see us through.  We did not want to replicate a situation a friend of ours had--He retired to Panama and puchase a "beater" auto that he felt could be worked on in any country.  Ouch...  It turned out it broke down every few hundred miles...yes...anyone could work on it, but....  In going through the blog I must say we are amazed at the number of comments concerning theft and crime.  We did not expect so many negative comments.  Again, thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Jose has a ocean front lot with a vandalized house on AC.  he lived in LA for many years.  can call him at [Please use private message for personal information]   He is asking $100k would take $60-50.   He lives in Corozal where he also has some rentals plus he drives Taxi, which is how I met him.  can check it ou t

I have been here now in Corozal for about 30 days. What I call the street beggars found me quickly. They come everyday asking for a drink of water. They usually have some kind of wood carving for sale.

When I say no I'm not interested in buying anything, then they begin to beg for change, food, and other things. I have even had them come to the door saying that they were neighbors and could they borrow some money. They are driving me crazy.

When you go to the park or out for a walk, young girls are always asking for support.

I'm glad you posted you experience with the beggers, thats the real world , not the pie in the sky dream a vacationer gets while visiting for a few hours on a guided tour..
That is so disgusting..
One question , do you at times give in and give them something ? I once lived near a Indian reseve ,and was warned by my neighbours not to give them handouts.. A native Lady came asking for money for pampers and milk for the baby, what could I say ?? I gave her some money and within an hour 5 more were at my door begging , even at 3 am .It kept on , with new stories and drove me crazy. I finally got a big mean dog ,it got that bad.. I was so glad to find a place in Calgary and get out of there ..   
I must admit it was only a handful that were begging , the others were normal nice people ..

Can you write a few more things you like and dislike about Corozal ? It's a place I have in mind to visit ,while looking at the possibillity of relocating there .

First...yes I have given in at times, that's why they keep coming.

This is really not a tourist town with sandy white beaches. But its near the border, when you need to check in with immigration.
From what I understand most people with money drive into Mexico to shop.

The Chinese don't speak good English so you are at their mercy when shopping in their stores. But Corozal is a good jumping off place to see the rest of Belize. Above all you must understand this is a 3rd world country. I'm 6'3" about 260, so most people usually leave me alone. But it hasn't deterred the beggers.

I walk across to the park some days and have lunch, a guy over there has spare ribs and barbequed chicken, its actually quite good and cheap.

I haven't really had the chance to mingle with the expats as of yet. So I don't really have a good working knowledge of how they get along here.

I have spent some time with a Canadian whose been here 30 years, but he seems to have little interest in expats as a whole. 

I drove across Mexico to get here, so I'll tell you if you are going to drive here let me know. I'll give you my e-mail and let you in on a whole lot of things.

What kind of rents are they asking for a average 1000 sq ft. house ? or apt ?

It depends on where you want to live...I have a 2 bedroom, I'm waiting right now for just a studio.

Go to craigslist belize, they offer rentals there. My place is 475.00US and I have to pay all the utilities. The studio will be 450.00US but all the utilities are paid.

You would be surprised, some of the bigger cities have cheaper rents. I like where I'm at, my landlady is a real nice person easy to get along with. But my apartment is near a lot of barking dogs...that does get old sometimes. If you were coming right now I have an extra bedroom. You could have this place when I leave for my other apartment in 2 months.

There are cheaper rentals all over the place but you need time to find them. I actually booked my studio in advance of getting here. But the guys renting it are waiting for their place to be built. Since its not finished, I was the one who got screwed.

I think somebody said earlier, you have to slow it down here. Go with the flow, people walk in the street, people double park, it just doesn't pay to be in a hurry. This a place to just take your time, and forget about the problems in the real world.

I pay $275 US for a 2 br, 1 bath house in Corozal, in a Belizian neighborhood.

as far as I know, there are beggars everywhere as the world economy has crumbled. 

I am approached from time to time and I simply say NO.  In the past, in the USA, anyone who asked for money was told no, occasionally I gave people food, but never money.  This works.

Can I ask how much are your Utilities, and do you have free internet?

I should also add my place is fully furnished.

Yes even here in oil rich Calgary we have beggers , to lazy to work.. A few are a little retarded it seems but mostly they all want to get high .I just say no.

to Hawk.  I do not pay for water as we have a well.   I pay $15 for trash hauling.  Our internet is from Smart at $45.  I have not gotten my electric yet.  I overpay an excellent woman to clean up 2x a week, $25 per 4 hour shift.  nothing was furnished.  I have a separate laundry room and AC.  a large nice yard.  Belizian $

Georgette123, re-read this whole thread for your answer to importing a vehicle.

If you have a modern vehicle then the Roe Group have all the diagnostic tools and software for nearly all vehicles.  I worked for MADISCO and the workshop was just behind my warehouse.  It was well laid out and equiped to service and repair a wide veriety of cars.  If you bring a vehicle in then they will generally obtain the necessary communications cable and retrieve the software to test.

Georgette123 wrote:

That's great information as we were wanting to take our 1995 GMC pick up (in great shape) but also heard we couldn't because of the age. We will check into this!

I drove a 1990 Caddy into the Country, I had to import it in at the border. You will have to do the same.

How much was the duty?, 37% ?

Captain Dave

Yes I think that was correct, but then you have to pay the broker. 200bz

We talked with 3 different people to get the price. The first guy looked at some old blue book. He gave me a price, and I said no way was I paying that.

So we went to a second guy and he lowered it, I refused that price also. So finally we got to the head honcho who gave me a price I could live with.

But the catch, during all this they impounded my car, so it was pay or leave the vehicle.

They charge you to tell you what its worth, they charge you to search the car. They charge you to spray the car. Plus they charge you to impound it.

Plus don't drive away without getting insurance. All in all its gets to be an expensive outing for a guy on a tight budget.

I found out later, they add money to the price if its an 8 cylinder.

Why didn't your broker do all of that for you? That's what you pay him for. I am sending my truck there by ship.