US Passport Renewal in Santo Domingo

Hey - any Americans who have renewed their passports at the embassy in Santo Domingo? I have about 14 months left on mine, but I need 18 months when I renew my residency, so I'll have to renew early. I'm wondering how long it normally takes.

Last time I was there for that was a long time ago and they told me 8 days! Not sure if that is still the time frame. (Although after a little haggling and me saying it was urgent I got it done the same day for my son). I went in around 9 AM and by 3:30 PM it was ready.

Maybe I just lucked out but it was done in one day.

The website is saying 4 weeks. That's pretty quick, but the thought of being stuck here for 4 weeks is kind of disconcerting! I have 4 elderly parents in the US and had to make two emergency trips last year.

my son's expired while we were there and he had to get back to school. I made a big stink about it and it was resolved in one day. Like I said maybe I lucked out or screamed loud enough but it was done  lol. Mind you this was a while back maybe things have changed since then

I am pretty sure they have the expedited service you can pay for.

@planner I've used that in the US when I didn't realize until less than a week before a trip that my passport would expire while I was out of the country! I'm going to contact the embassy and see if I can request it even if I don't have travel planned!

@ddmcghee I renewed my passport back I'm October 2022 and it took exactly 30 days from the time I turned in the passport and paperwork into DOMEX. The passport was delivered to my house. DOMEX sent me and email the day before delivery and the courier called me a few hours before he arrived.

@polo1club wow impressive give yourself credit brother to get anything done in any government within a day it's pretty much a magic trick. I believe there is but are you able to confirm there is currently an operating US citizen passport renewal Outpost somewhere close to Punta Cana. Thanks and much respect for a fine job. Joe

by the way, the passports nenewed here look totally different  thwn at home. better i would say, more sophisticated tech wise lol

I don't think they do Darlene as I did not pay extra and got mine within a month

@jle33019 Thanks lol but I do not know of any other place then the US Embassy on Republica De Columbia address in Santo Domingo