3 Month/6 Month Passport Validity Rule

We fly on 12/5/23. I just realized that my passport expires in April 2024 (4 months validity) and my husband's in May 2024 (5 months validity). We both have empty pages so that's not an issue.

Everything I find on line indicates that RD follows the 3 month validity rule.

Has anyone experienced or heard that not to be the case? Since you have to send your current one in with a renewal app, I really don't want to risk it. I'd rather wait till we return. Getting back into the US isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

As far as I am aware it needs to be 6 months

Related questions

Can I travel to Dominican Republic with less than 6 months on passport?

If you are visiting the Dominican Republic, your passport should be valid for a minimum of six months from the date you arrive.

Everything I find online confirms this

This is from GoDominicanRepublic, the official website of the Ministry of Tourism:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR FOREIGNERS ENTERING THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AS TOURISTS

Foreigners entering the Dominican Republic as tourists must comply with the following requirements:

Passport with a minimum validity of six (6) months.

Air, maritime or land ticket of entrance and return.

A permanent address in the Dominican Republic.

Proof of sufficient economic solvency to cover their expenses during their stay in the Dominican Republic.

Here's the link to get an expedited renewal: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

After much searching and conflicting info I called the consulate.

6 months validity is required. Plus 2 empty pages.

Now I need to find an expeditor!

Not sure how it works in the USA, but in Canada, seems you can get a new passport in a couple weeks or even less if you want to pay extra, you should be ok as long as you begin asap.

Sent renewals in today. Sheesh .. what a $$ pit. Here's a breakdown. FYI you should renew 9 months before your expiration. The process will take about 6-9 weeks. At least it's good for 9 1/2 years. My passport picture will require immigration to reference the Serial Killers at Large handbook. 😬

Renewal, expedite, priority ship back, priority ship out, photos= $255.47🤞

i was in the DR and i only had 3 months left on my passport ….I just  renewed mine and took me 6 weeks and another 2 weeks for the I.D.card…. but i also received the extra thick book, i heard some passports could take up to 3-4 months because of the pandemic back log

Like many things here..... sometimes they check and enforce.... sometimes they don't

Did you know you were in violation ??

And risking your trip?

Nope ,  because I didn't know  , i guess i didn't look guilty enough for them to pull me

( didn't look nervous , fidgety  ,  🤔

You got lucky !!

Whew !

Would be a bad way to get sent home

For Canadains something I didn't know about passports. When packing to ship my goods from Phoenix AZ (my former winter home) to Moca I "lost" my passport & had to get another issued. It was for another 10 years. Once my goods arrived, I found that passport. Meantime I had been carrying my current passport in shorts pocket while out walking having needed it at one location & got caught in a downpour. Result water damage that Canada Customs kept saying I should get an new passport. In Feb 2022 I did - paid for ten years but received one for just three years - no explanation!! I learned the reason was due to the "lost" passport even though I reported I had found it. The one time I didn't have it in the normal waterproof carry case - so be careful - as everyone usually is!!  Just info...

Like Willie said “ sometimes they enforce sometimes they don't ”. I unknowingly flew with just over a month left on my passport in Febuary. Didn't realize it till an agent at JFK pointed it out upon my return. Also wondering if passports would be affected if the government shuts down next week ?!?!

I have read that a shutdown should not affect it. 🤞🤞

I'm curious why the state department doesn't just auto send a renewal reminder 9 months out.

@huddleston1

Probably won't be affected, according to this USA Today article <https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2023/09/21/government-shutdown-impact-travel/70911806007/>, which quotes this State Department guidance <https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Updated-DOS-Lapse-Guidance-August-2023-Final-Accessible.pdf>. Apparently the fees cover the expenses well enough that they should probably be able to keep going. I wouldn't bet any more on this than you had to, though. It didn't sound like a 100% guarantee.

The Puerto Plata Consular Agency just told me that there was no monthly requirement. Just that it be valid.

Not sure I would believe it as the airport website itself (Thanks Planner) says 6 months.

Dosen't matter now as we relinquished our current passports to get renewals. What a mess ...

And the Consulate is incorrect. At least in our case. Right Now, a valid passport is all you need. That agreement expires 12/1.

Too bad they do not send a renewal reminder, same here in the EU. And the correcting factor on the expiry date countries do is confusing too.

Just checked my passport because of this thread and I have one year left. Will be going to the DR in a month for almost 3 months so after that I will have to renew. Thanks for the reminder caused by this topic!

@Brewpub56

according to a report out of the office of management and Budget in Washington

there are some  passport facilities could close because Of the shut down.

during the the 2019 shutdown hundreds of TSA agents called out sick because no one was getting paid and they wanted to find other ways to make money……

so expect significant delays if traveling ….. 'the government also said they are also expecting a shortage in air traffic controllers  , in other word have a plan ”B” just in case….✈️

@Papito NL

And keep in mind, you have to surrender your current passport when you apply for the renewal.

@Tippj

🤞🤞🤞 Without a passport the only plan b is changing flight dates. This isn't a mistake you make twice. That's for sure!

so true , 🤞

US Passport Renewal

https://apple.news/A_W7ifHp8R_KXcbmF2V1C7g

Just heard on channel 4 News out of NY That all passports will be disrupted during  any shut down w/ the government …. 🤞good luck 🤞

I heard on the news that many passport offices are self supporting and not effected.

And I heard that you can believe everything you heard on the news. 1f606.svg

@planner

Me too. I have enough caca to worry about. I'm gonna think good thoughts and mind meld them through the system....🙂

The State Dept and passport and visa processing is considered ”essential” so it will continue during a shutdown. Some passport offices may be shut down if they are located in government office buildings that are closed.

So in essence some will be shut down!

@planner Just some of the offices that accept the applications - there are normally quite a few in most cities, including many post offices. All the processing is centralized. If you renew by mail, the closure of some acceptance locations has no impact. Most renewals are by mail.

I have a cousin trying to get his passport in the US.  He told me there is a huge backlog getting passports. He has been waiting for months.  To the OP.  Get on this quickly because you may not have even and expedited passport renewal done before your trip.  They are really backed up.   I don't see how the upcoming government shutdown will help this...

You can pick up your passport applications at any post office , and if i was doing it now i would  definitely consider expediting it…. even if the gov.  doesn't shut down …

@Tippj You can download the application and print it at home.

Very true…..Have you seen the price of ink for the printer……🤣😂

Ok let's update. The OP posted she already did the expedited application.

Pretty sure she will keep us updated on her progress!

Good news for everyone! Shortest wait times since February!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/passport- … ng-status/

👍

They arrived today! We ordered them September 21. Expedited. But they told us 7 or so weeks. Woo hoo!!