Where do people who are ex-pats tend to live?

Hello again,

I have another question. I am getting to understand the geography of Malta and Gozo and am trying to work out if people from ex-pat communities tend to gravitate towards certain areas, or if it is quite varied. Gozo seems like a beautiful place to retire, but would there be enough work opportunities there? - I notice from online research that there is a hospital and a Social Work office in Victoria.

When I visited Malta, I saw some of the areas from travelling around and by bus. One taxi driver told us that he lived in Mosta, and that there were a lot of Scottish, English and Irish people living and working in that area. I understand that some areas are more tourist focused and that obviously Valletta is the main city so prices are higher for rent there.

Can anyone here tell me what the reality is like living in different places on Malta or Gozo? I would love to know more.

We passed a big hospital on the bus called Mater Dei, is this a major employer for that area?

Thanks in advance

Laura

The country is about the size of a suburb in a big city. People live everywhere and work everywhere. A large group even commute every day from the other island.

So I dont think this is a useful question to ask, you should find what appeal to you and what your tolerances are for traffic etc and pick accordingly. Expats everywhere.

Of course you find large groups of expats in obvious populous places, they all moan endlessly about traffic, noise and pollution.  It's not unrelated. You'll be happier to cast a wider net.

Thankyou for your reply, I see what you mean.

You mentioned that "a large group even commute every day from the other island" - so it would be possible to live on Gozo and work on Malta for example?

It is helpful for me to hear from real people and examples, because looking at how close things are on a map doesn't always help!

Thanks

Laura

Thankyou for your reply, I see what you mean.
You mentioned that "a large group even commute every day from the other island" - so it would be possible to live on Gozo and work on Malta for example?

It is helpful for me to hear from real people and examples, because looking at how close things are on a map doesn't always help!

Thanks

Laura
-@snakemed

For me, no it would not be possible, its too annoying and unpredictable and I dont like ferries in rough weather. Your milage might vary.

@snakemed  A lot of workers travel between the two islands everyday.

Yes, a lot of workers travel between Malta and Gozo everyday, but I have to agree with Volcane, the ferries are too unpredictable. Living in Gozo and working in Malta would add a further 1-2 hours to your commute so could become very tiring if this was on a daily basis. That said, some employers have measures in place to make life a bit easier.

Since C-19 some companies are now are offering a hybrid working set up, allowing perhaps 2 days from 5 a week remote working, or even full time tele-working. My employer has its main premises in Malta but also a Gozo office that Gozo residents can opt to work from. 

If an employer requires their Gozitan employees to be physically present in Malta every working day, some provide transport between the ferry terminal and the workplace to avoid having to wait in long queues to bring their personal cars on the ferry or having a lengthy bus journey in Malta. Some employers would also receive bad weather updates from the Gozo Channel ferry company to warn of any potential ferry service suspension, to allow Gozitan employees the possibly to leave work early to travel back.

Hello again,
I have another question. I am getting to understand the geography of Malta and Gozo and am trying to work out if people from ex-pat communities tend to gravitate towards certain areas, or if it is quite varied. Gozo seems like a beautiful place to retire, but would there be enough work opportunities there? - I notice from online research that there is a hospital and a Social Work office in Victoria.

When I visited Malta, I saw some of the areas from travelling around and by bus. One taxi driver told us that he lived in Mosta, and that there were a lot of Scottish, English and Irish people living and working in that area. I understand that some areas are more tourist focused and that obviously Valletta is the main city so prices are higher for rent there.

Can anyone here tell me what the reality is like living in different places on Malta or Gozo? I would love to know more.

We passed a big hospital on the bus called Mater Dei, is this a major employer for that area?

Thanks in advance

Laura
-@snakemed

Mater Dei is a major employer in that area. Recently  I was having an appointment at 8.30. I live in Gozo and took the ferry at 6.am . The ferry arrived in Malta at 6.25. At 6.43 I took bus X1 to Mater Dei/Airport. The bus arrived at Mater Dei at 8.05 . Yes, I was punctual for my appointment, but I would never recommend to do such a trip every day. If I would work in such a hospital I would look for accommodation nearby and without using the ferry.