Tenant rights

Hi everyone,

I'm sharing a flat and one of my friend wants to come visit from abroad and spend a week with me in my flat.  Although my flatmates don't have a problem with that they told me that the landlord will not allow him to stay in the flat.

Can a landlord forbid his/her tenants of hosting family and friends for short periods?

Thanks for your help everyone ;)

Hi, no, not if you are not receiving payment for them. As soon as you receive payment, that is sub letting, which is a big no with landlords (unless you give them a back hander  ;) )

I can't see a landlord having an issue with a temporary guest , .. Else people would never be able to have their bf/gfs or sexual conquests over , if your concerned just ask the landlord

what does your lease contract say ?

I don't have a contract. I assume she cannot refuse guests but wanna make 100% sure.

If there is nothing in writing saying you can't have guests then the landlord cannot do anything about it , though I have to ask , did they not give you anything when you rented the house ?? Having said that my "contract"
Is  hand written and basically says he's renting the property and how much we owe ... Lol

Yes I have signed a document with the amount of the rent and that the apartment is for 3 persons. Just few lines.

Then as long as you act in the bounds of the law you have free enjoyment of your property and that includes who you allow to visit , though you will be responsible for them and any damage they may cause

Thanks all for your replies

You should have a contract describing in detale excaktly all the things inclouded in the appartment. Like beds and sheets , towels and glasses etc. In Malta a contract is a contract and what is not written in the contract is not agreed upon and you have no wright to it.

Tommy

Tommy,

A contract does not have to be in writing and the list of items is the inventory and is not part of the contract.

If your contract is not in writing, how can you prove what you agreed upon?
And the inventory list has to be a part of the contract. Doesn´t it.
Any whone else that have an idea?

The inventory (if neccessary) should be part of the contract and signed by both sides to make sure ,as all pages of the contract should be initialed as well.

A contract in Malta should always be in writing. Without a written contract you will not be able to enforce or prove anything! Buying and selling horses is done with a handshake but renting an appartment ? Only what you have in writing and signed counts , everything else is subjective and is asking for trouble.

If it works in one case can be luck .

Cheers
Ricky

Well my landlord must be terrible his contract for us to sign was hans written , single a4 page he had written two copies and basically detailed rent owed , and that was it - no inventory or anything ...

bottom line when the brown stuff hits the whirly gig there are very few if any tenants rights here - be wary of this very stark fact