Managing the climate/hot weather

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Scotland and am exploring the possibility to live in Malta one day. I have what might sound like a silly question, but how do people feel about the heat (particularly in the summer) and how do you cope with 40 degrees temperature?

I don't know if people work and travel at other times of day in the summer to avoid the hottest times of day, or if air conditioning is enough to keep everyone comfortable?

I would love to hear about peoples' experiences!

Laura C

Hello everyone,
I currently live in Scotland and am exploring the possibility to live in Malta one day. I have what might sound like a silly question, but how do people feel about the heat (particularly in the summer) and how do you cope with 40 degrees temperature?

I don't know if people work and travel at other times of day in the summer to avoid the hottest times of day, or if air conditioning is enough to keep everyone comfortable?

Laura C
-@snakemed

We have lived here for ten years and have adapted to the heat,  we use air con in the summer to keep cool and in

the winter for heating.  We also tend to get up earlier so jobs indoors can be done before it's too hot and go shopping earlier then we do when it's not so hot.

For us we have adapted to the heat, its the humidity we have  a problem with, ie the walk to and from shop takes twice as long then in the cooler months even if you go out early or later.

Hello everyone,

Laura C
-@snakemed

The highest temperature I ever experienced here in Malta was 34 C.  This is not a problem to cope with. I put my air conditioning at 26 C and have no problem with the heat. It is worse right now. The outside temperature at night is 8C and the heating is put on 20C. This means more electricity is used for heating now than in summer for cooling down the place.

Hello everyone,

Laura C
-@snakemed
The highest temperature I ever experienced here in Malta was 34 C. This is not a problem to cope with. I put my air conditioning at 26 C and have no problem with the heat. It is worse right now. The outside temperature at night is 8C and the heating is put on 20C. This means more electricity is used for heating now than in summer for cooling down the place.
-@hanselmar

Every summer the temperature is higher then 34 c, approaching 40c a lot of the time.

The temperature usually goes over 40c several days in the summer and is usually high thirties for the rest, but air con copes easily and you just do not go walk about in the afternoon.

Nights feel cold indoors but we put the a/c on heat in the bedroom for about 30 minutes before we go to bed and then once in bed we are warm enough for the rest of the night.

Thankyou for the replies everyone, it has been really helpful. I was scraping the ice off my car the other morning here in Scotland and my partner said "we wouldn't have to do this if we lived in Malta!"

Thankyou for the replies everyone, it has been really helpful. I was scraping the ice off my car the other morning here in Scotland and my partner said "we wouldn't have to do this if we lived in Malta!"
-@snakemed

You'd trade ice for mud (sahara desert sand laced rain)

@snakemed definetely you will need a good working A/c apartment. Nights may be unbearable without ac specially during June, July and August. During the day one is usually working and on the weekends is beach or swimming pool time. So bring in your bermudas, shorts, tshirts, caps... and also a short cold shower in the morning just after gotten up is a good tip. But there is also winter in Malta but thats another matter

@snakemed definetely you will need a good working A/c apartment. Nights may be unbearable without ac specially during June, July and August. During the day one is usually working and on the weekends is beach or swimming pool time. So bring in your bermudas, shorts, tshirts, caps... and also a short cold shower in the morning just after gotten up is a good tip. But there is also winter in Malta but thats another matter
-@superluigis

You need aircon in the winter for heating too.