Scoundrel landlord tolerance

Hello again everyone,

I'm curious to hear what is considered to be a tolerable level of landlord scoundrel-ness in Bahrain?

I've been trying to secure a lease, and the landlord (via the real estate agent) has fabricated other interested parties; has stealthily tried to cut out the diplomatic clause; has insisted that it must be a resident's name on the lease; and has demanded 12 (then 6) months rent up front, instead of the typical 3.

All bluffs!

I expect some haggling, sure, but at this point my trust has eroded – if it's not one thing it's another. I've been forthcoming with all requests for information.

Great place, alas.

First time in the rental market here so I don't know what to expect.

And a follow-up question, if anyone happens to know: what are the laws for tenant protection like? I've read of a two-year period before rent increases, but what exists beyond that?

I think you are unlucky. This sounds like a crap landlord and it is definitely not the norm. Personally, I would suggest that you RUN...........if all these issues have come up when you haven't even signed the lease.........imagine what would happen later on. Mark my words, my simple assessment from this behavior is that, at the very least, you will NEVER get your rental security deposit back when you leave this place.

Few points: Diplomatic clause is STANDARD, yes a resident must be on the rental but most landlords are ok to the sign the lease while your residency / CPR is in process (on the basis of an introduction letter from the employer), advance rent is at max 3 months and for many properties, there is no such thing as advance rent.

As far as tenant protection is concerned, Bahrain is lacking in that aspect. Tenant rights are governed by the rental contract only and in case of disputes, you are stuck to approaching the courts which takes time and costs more money, in majority of the cases, when compared to the disputed amount.......hence, most people don't even bother.

Bahrain RERA (Real estate regulatory authority) is relatively new and is focused right now on transitioning management of properties from developers to Owner's associations, licensing brokers etc........basically, trying to put a framework in the real estate sector. They are not currently involved in tenant and landlord disputes.  Contrast that with Dubai RERA which is amazing...............you have a dispute with a landlord, you file a case in RERA, put rent in escrow and the landlord backs off.  Very strong tenant protection in Dubai...........it is almost impossible to kick a tenant out.........unless you are willing to give 12 months notice (as an example). Bahrain might eventually go there but for now, it is a big hassle to fight for your rights as a tenant and involves litigation.

I am Personally more shocked at the practises you outlined coming from a real-estate agency. They have more to lose in terms of reputation and usually are a Better and a more professional way to go about that directly with the owner.

Are they asking for a deposit as well? Or just just advanced rent?

Also I would  check Google reviews of both the real-estate agency  and the building. You can usually  see reviews from expats who have had bad experience  with both.

@XTang @leh95 – Thank you both, I appreciate the input.

And noted!

@alak9

These days, one has to be very careful before signing a Lease Agreement. House-owners have become very greedy! It was not like this a few years back. It is better to have a clause that either party can terminate the lease by giving say one or two months notice. Also look out for traps in the agreement such as " the property should be handed back in the same condition it was in at the time of lease commencement - insist on adding wording that it is subject to normal wear & tear. Be weary of all indemnity clauses, read carefully and make sure these are reasonable. In short, examine all clauses with a magnifying glass. Make sure it makes sense and is reasonable. Otherwise don't sign. All areas in Bahrain currently have a large number of flats lying vacant. Lastly don't trust agents they are often very economica with facts!