Too much building noise in my apartment, HELP!!!,

Hi Everyone,

We recently move to Bahrain after my husband was offered a position over here,everything happened very quickly and whilst  I packed the house in England up my husband came over here to begin his new role and look for an apartment. We had already agreed that we would find somewhere for a year( this seemed to be the shortest rental agreement that was affordable) and in that year we could research what areas we liked for somewhere on a more permanent level if the job was going well and we all liked it over here.Well,happy to report we are all delighted with the layed back feel of most of the people here and hubby's job is going well. One really big problem however is that the apartment we are in is like literally living on a building site! The noise is almost constant, midnight, 3am, 5 am it is awful but not knowing the property laws here I don't know if we are able to get out of our lease agreement?????? Please help we are only a month in and I don't think I can stand a year of this.

Welcome to Bahrain.

This is indeed a problem. I know landlords will insist on completion of at least one year of your first contract. But its worth speaking to them and explaining that its difficult to live through all the din and commotion day in and day out. That's the friendly way out and I hope they see your side of things and agree to terminate the contract.

Having said that, one reason why construction starts early in summer is because of the work ban during midday. The summer work ban runs through July and August. You may find they start work at "normal times" once September is upon us and not at 3 or 4 am.

Let us know how you fare.

Hi Farhaz,

Thanks for this, I will let you know how we get on.

Lisa

Hello

Legally the landlord is not responsible for any noise that is being caused by someone else.  So, try to have a talk with him and see what you can reach in friendly basis.  You also have the right to go to the building/construction site and ask for the building permit, if not valid or if not made available for you, you can raise a complaint to the Ministry of Municipalities Affairs and Urban Planning, their number is 80008188, which I suggest that you call them anyways just to see how they can help.

Good Luck

Ouch, really sorry to hear this, where are you living?

This is one of many reasons we suggest fully serviced accommodation for a month while you search for your ideal home.

Really hope it gets sorted out soon. Lets hope September sees it back to normality

We are in Juffair and the building is lovely so it isn't all bad.
Thanks for the goodwishes.
I think we may look at Amwaj or Reef next time we move but not sure if Amwaj is too far out or not?

Reef Island is also a construction site so it will be noisy there too unless you choose very carefully.

If the noise is caused by your landlords workers then he is responsible - approach him and discuss.

Good luck

I live on Reef Island. I don't find construction noise to be a problem, though it might be depending on which building you are in.

I find noise inside the building to be the problem. There is no soundproofing. NONE!
The noise from within the building is starting to drive me crazy.

I've only lived in the one building on Reef Island, but people tell me this is a common problem there. It is a common problem everywhere, but I was in Juffair previously and I never heard any noise from neighbors there. Of course I heard lots of muscle cars and motorbikes there though!

I am also on Reef Island and don't have any problems with noise either inside or out.  Although I am over on the fully developed side.