TRC card + foreign driving license = permanent A1 driving license?

I just have a very specific question. I'm in the process of obtaining a permanent A1 driving license in Cần Thơ and I'm going to go through the "natural" process of passing the theoretical and practical exam in Vietnamese to get the license.

Meanwhile, someone in Cần Thơ seems to have managed to use his TRC card, plus notarization of his foreign driving license, to obtain a *permanent* A1 driving license (no expiration date, not attached to his visa or card) without even having to go through the theoretical test, only practical. This goes against what a local lawyer told me and against what I've seen elsewhere.

Is it possible an "exception" was made in his case (you know what I mean) or that they've made a mistake, or that it's simply really allowed at the local authority level? Of course his B1 license expires at the end of his TRC, but I'm focusing on his permanent A1 driving license.

I used my Canadian driver's license in 2016 to get a VN driver's license without any form of test or bribery, and a British friend (who is on this platform) recently got a permanent VN driver's license based on his British one. The problem is the laws change so frequently that its hard to keep up. One tip, never believe what someone tells you based on what they think, believe or heard, even if its a government official - only believe what is written down in the latest policy documents.

Same here

TRC + translated Danish driver license then I got the a VN driver license for same period as the TRC (cost was 135K in 2022)

No test required   

Same here
TRC + translated Danish driver license then I got the a VN driver license for same period as the TRC (cost was 135K in 2022)
No test required 
-@Frede001

Did you get a permanent A1 motorbike driving license? Please pay attention to my post, this is what I'm asking about. I don't see the word "permanent" in your text so I assume it expires, and also it seems to be the card driving license, which is B1?

I used my Canadian driver's license in 2016 to get a VN driver's license without any form of test or bribery, and a British friend (who is on this platform) recently got a permanent VN driver's license based on his British one. The problem is the laws change so frequently that its hard to keep up. One tip, never believe what someone tells you based on what they think, believe or heard, even if its a government official - only believe what is written down in the latest policy documents.
-@john426

Did you get a permanent A1 motorbike driving license in this process?

Your British friend, did he get a permanent A1 motorbike driving license or even a permanent B1 car driving license? I don't think a permanent B1 is possible. If your British friend got a permanent A1 driving license, did he use a TRC? What visa did he have if not TRC?

I have a permanent A2 motorbike driving license (2021) for this I had to take both theoretical & practice test,

I most admit that I got some support for the theoretical part   

I have a permanent A2 motorbike driving license (2021) for this I had to take both theoretical & practice test,
-@Frede001

So far what you're describing aligns with most information I could gather, that the theoretical test is needed for a permanent A1 or A2 driving license. But it seems there are exceptions and I'm very curious to get at the bottom of this. Thanks for the info.

-@Frede001
So far what you're describing aligns with most information I could gather, that the theoretical test is needed for a permanent A1 or A2 driving license. But it seems there are exceptions and I'm very curious to get at the bottom of this. Thanks for the info.
-@WillyBaldy

Support for the theoretical  part, geez ...what support?

After what we went through, buying property, building our house here, ....seems the retired professor of Engineering and Construction here is even only somewhat correct, but depending upon which way the wind blow on any given day, 'laws by mouth' are in the  mix here with non citizens, expats in the grey areas, always in grey areas. His statement about laws in Viet Nam. 'There is no law in Viet Nam' seems reasonable. At least until such time or as the wind changes direction.

MAc

-@Frede001
-@WillyBaldy

Support for the theoretical part, geez ...what support?
After what we went through, buying property, building our house here, ....seems the retired professor of Engineering and Construction here is even only somewhat correct, but depending upon which way the wind blow on any given day, 'laws by mouth' are in the mix here with non citizens, expats in the grey areas, always in grey areas. His statement about laws in Viet Nam. 'There is no law in Viet Nam' seems reasonable. At least until such time or as the wind changes direction.

MAc
-@Mac68

Definitely. I'm in contact with a lawyer lady here in Can Tho and she basically told me I *had* to do the theoretical test to have a *permanent* A1 driving license. I told her I wanted to go to the office of driving license myself, to ask a few questions, and she somewhat got angry like "so you don't believe me? the law is the law, and I know the law". Well, this is Vietnam, there is *no* fixed law. What supercedes the law is called "local authority". They have a lot of power to do things differently than the law. So every step I take is being challenged by local ego, chaotic information and so on. It's not easy but I took the route of doing everyhing in Vietnamese so in theory it should be "simple" if I pass the theoretical and pratical test. I'm still searching for the "truth" though about TRC + foreign driving license and permanent A1.

Also I'm in contact with the owner of DC Motorbikes in Saigon (they help foreigners get licenses) and he's saying it's impossible to get a permanent A1 license without passing the theoretical test, even with TRC or whatever paperwork. He thinks the person reporting having a permanent A1 without passing the theoretical test either has a fake driving license or tip was invloded. This aligns with lawyer information. I love how different opposing information comes from all sides 1f600.svg

Members have reported you IF you have converted your O/S car licence and then go do the A1 you can just do the practice as they deem car is "king" it changed sometime during covid period I cant remember when.

Support for the theoretical  part....., when you are during  the test 'multiple choice' there is a VN guy during the same test next to you and he whisper Mot, Ha, Ba, Bon.

Very organized 

@willybaldy

"This means that if you have a B1 (car) driving license in your home country, but not an A class (motorbike up to 175cc ), you will still need to add it later to your Vietnamese license. For the motorbike license, you just have to pass a practical exam (you will be excused from the theoretical part, which is considered by the Vietnamese as proven by the driving license you are converting now)."

Provided in a link in this thread:

Still trying to find the member who said that was what they did :)

@WillyBaldy I've been living in DaNang for the past 11 years, also lived in Saigon.  Took the bike test in Saigon back in 2008.  It's been in their computer data base since. All three were with A1,B1.  In Feb. 2019, my bike license expired and I had also let my foreign auto license expire...I submitted my paperwork for a new motorbike 'only' and received my new license with "NO expiration Date".  I did not pay anyone extra (coffee money) to have this done.  Paid my 150,000 VND and and a photo and it was processed.  The only test I had to do was the bike test in Saigon, nothing since.

@WillyBaldy I've been living in DaNang for the past 11 years, also lived in Saigon. Took the bike test in Saigon back in 2008. It's been in their computer data base since. All three were with A1,B1. In Feb. 2019, my bike license expired and I had also let my foreign auto license expire...I submitted my paperwork for a new motorbike 'only' and received my new license with "NO expiration Date". I did not pay anyone extra (coffee money) to have this done. Paid my 150,000 VND and and a photo and it was processed. The only test I had to do was the bike test in Saigon, nothing since.
-@Anthony Stephen

Was that with the computer test part?

@WillyBaldy I've been living in DaNang for the past 11 years, also lived in Saigon. Took the bike test in Saigon back in 2008. It's been in their computer data base since. All three were with A1,B1. In Feb. 2019, my bike license expired and I had also let my foreign auto license expire...I submitted my paperwork for a new motorbike 'only' and received my new license with "NO expiration Date". I did not pay anyone extra (coffee money) to have this done. Paid my 150,000 VND and and a photo and it was processed. The only test I had to do was the bike test in Saigon, nothing since.
-@Anthony Stephen
Was that with the computer test part?
-@AndyHCMC

Ya'll making me dizzy

MAc

@willybaldy
"This means that if you have a B1 (car) driving license in your home country, but not an A class (motorbike up to 175cc ), you will still need to add it later to your Vietnamese license. For the motorbike license, you just have to pass a practical exam (you will be excused from the theoretical part, which is considered by the Vietnamese as proven by the driving license you are converting now)."

Still trying to find the member who said that was what they did smile.png
-@AndyHCMC

This doesn't say anything about permanent versus linked to your visa thus temporary.

@willybaldy

-@AndyHCMC
This doesn't say anything about permanent versus linked to your visa thus temporary.
-@WillyBaldy

Hi,

If you do the physical test in HCMC bike testing center, the licence is lifetime vs linked to docs if converted.

To find out how long your licence lasts for or is on the database (not fake) LOOK HERE

@willybaldy

-@AndyHCMC
-@WillyBaldy
Hi,

If you do the physical test in HCMC bike testing center, the licence is lifetime vs linked to docs if converted.

To find out how long your licence lasts for or is on the database (not fake) LOOK HERE
-@AndyHCMC

I'm sorry could you elaborate on that please? Are you talking about the theoretical test or just the practical test? Because what I'm saying is that you can't legally get a lifetime A1 driving license without the *theoretical* test. At least not now in 2023, assuming this was legal before.

What I'm telling you is mainly based on what one lawyer told me but more importantly, what the owner of DC Motorbikes in Saigon told be Yesterday. He said right now if you get a A1 permanent driving license and you didn't go through the *theoretical* test in Vietnamese, the license is either *fake* or an administrative mistake was made.

Now, he could be telling me stuff to keep his driving license business running, who knows, so I'm still looking for the truth.

@willybaldy

-@AndyHCMC
-@WillyBaldy
Hi,

-@AndyHCMC

I'm sorry could you elaborate on that please? Are you talking about the theoretical test or just the practical test? Because what I'm saying is that you can't legally get a lifetime A1 driving license without the *theoretical* test. At least not now in 2023, assuming this was legal before.

What I'm telling you is mainly based on what one lawyer told me but more importantly, what the owner of DC Motorbikes in Saigon told be Yesterday. He said right now if you get a A1 permanent driving license and you didn't go through the *theoretical* test in Vietnamese, the license is either *fake* or an administrative mistake was made.

Now, he could be telling me stuff to keep his driving license business running, who knows, so I'm still looking for the truth.
-@WillyBaldy

The above info about if you have a CAR licence converted first then go and do an A1 test with NO theory is from blog and members who did it that way, they said because you already have a CAR licence no Theory is needed.

PM sent

-@WillyBaldy
The above info about if you have a CAR licence converted first then go and do an A1 test with NO theory is from blog and members who did it that way, they said because you already have a CAR licence no Theory is needed.

PM sent
-@AndyHCMC

Okay thanks for the extra info. Yeah that would be impossible now, in theory. You sent me a PM? Thanks I'll check that later, need to run for now. Thanks for your input, I'm really trying to put pieces of a complex puzzle together 1f600.svg

You can do bike test IF have VN CAR B1 licence already:

You go into the licence center (252 Lý Chính Thắng Phường 9, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh) and show your VN B1 licence and tell them you want to make an appointment do your A1 - NO theory required only practical test.

This info by local owner of hire/bike shop who does motorcycle tours and hires bikes he said heaps of westerners have done it.

Please report back if you do this process.

You can do bike test IF have VN CAR B1 licence already:
You go into the licence center (252 Lý Chính Thắng Phường 9, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh) and show your VN B1 licence and tell them you want to make an appointment do your A1 - NO theory required only practical test.

This info by local owner of hire/bike shop who does motorcycle tours and hires bikes he said heaps of westerners have done it.

Please report back if you do this process.
-@AndyHCMC

I'm in Cần Thơ so can't do this but wouldn't be able to get a permanent A1 license this way, at least not in a legit way. What you describe only gives temporary A1 license, usually expiring at the end of your visa ort TRC. New reports say that it's now 6 months maximum, but it's unconfirmed. Anyway I already registered for the standard A1 license, already have the book to study for the theoretical exam and have my exam date already, on top of a class they give in between. I can bring someone to the class to help me translate what they say, so it's not so bad 1f600.svg

@WillyBaldy just checked with him - he got a permanent A1 for motorbike and is a business owner here with a TRC. 

@WillyBaldy just checked with him - he got a permanent A1 for motorbike and is a business owner here with a TRC.
-@john426

Thanks, but please if you have a chance can you add some more information to this? Did he have to pass the theoretical test or not at all? If he managed to get a permanent A1 license without a theoretical test then this is either "assisted" or an administrative mistake.

I have an expat friend in Hanoi who is married to a VN, owns a bar/restaurant in West Lake area.

He had never had a driver's license in his life (neither car nor bike). He did the A1 "road test" in March 2021 and was granted the A1 with no expiration date. No theory/multi-choice exam.

I was very surprised.

So, after a few weeks studying for the A1 driving license, I'd like to add some knowledge here:

In 2020, the driving license system was reformed and many things changed, that's why some people might have information that predates 2020 and it can sometimes lead to confusion. For the A1 driving license theoritecal test, it's now a bank of 200 questions (150 before). Also, there's 20 "deadly" questions that you can't simply fail, you fail one of them you fail the test. Beside those questions, it's now a total of 24 questions and you can fail 4 maximum (beside the deadly questions). They also introduced some new signs on the road and there's a few questions about them.

I'll maintain that it's against the law to be able to get a lifetime A1 driving license without passing the theoretical test. There might still be the odd agents who accept coffee money here and there but it seems to be very rare since 2020 at least.

So, my test is on the 15th of February. I took the long road and I'm studying in 3 phases:

1) Learn the actual rules, like "5M minimum behind a train track", "No honking between 10PM and 5AM in densely populated area" (yeah right!) and so on.

2) Made a list of a bunch of important keywords to remember like "braking", "rear brake", "front brake", "line devider", "police car", "ambulance", and so on. I'm studying this list randomly.

3) Learning the "tricks" like "When the traffic police has one hand in the air, the answer is an odd number so it's 3", "Two hands in the air then it's an even number so it's 4". When it says "You're not allowed", it's the right answer 90% of the time, when a choice is "1 and 2" or "All of the above", you answer this one.

There's also a website with the 200 questions and they have test simulators, also have the 200 questions with the answers and have the 20 "deadly" questions also separately. It's very handy.

Someone who has a good photographic memory would simply juste study the 200 answers and probably get away with answering them all correctly. But my memory isn't great so I'm trying to actually understand the questions and answers, which takes a lot of time. A lot.

I think services in Saigon like DC Motorbikes, for 8M they guide you through the whole process and help you study, might be worth it if you value your time. I'm taking this as a personal challenge so I'm willing to put the time but time is money so these services have their value.