Dual citizen Philippines/USA Taxes

Hi,

I am a dual citizen USA/Philippines and would like to find out how I will be taxed by the Philippine govt on sources of US income should I become a full time resident in the Philippines; more specifically my concern is IRA withdrawals and inherited IRA withdrawals. I would love to stay in the Philippines more than 6 months per year but if these types of withdrawals are taxed by the BIR, then it would not be an economically wise decision for me to become a full time Filipino resident.

Thanks,

Randy

@Randy G As you know, foreign expats pay no taxes on foreign sourced income. It is different for citizens like you who must pay BUT there are tax treaties in place between the USA to prevent double taxation. It may be that you pay no taxes because the USA tax rate is generally higher than the Phils rate so of course you need a consultation with a philippine tax attorney. You can google for the treaty and check for yourself and it appears you will need to fill out a form with BIR to claim treaty benefits. BIR says:

B. What is the taxation on income derived from sources outside the Philippines?

Resident citizens and domestic corporations are taxable on all income derived from worldwide sources and it is not unlikely that the income derived from sources outside the Philippines may be exposed to the risk of international juridical double taxation, i.e., the imposition of comparable taxes in two (or more) States on the same taxpayer in respect of the same subject matter and for identical periods.

To avoid or at least minimize the risk of double taxation, these taxpayers may avail of the benefits provided under the valid and effective tax treaty, which may either be in the form of tax exemption or a preferential tax of taxes paid in the foreign country may be used as a credit against the Philippine tax payable in respect of that income. ALSO

.  How may a resident citizen or domestic corporation avail of treaty benefits?

In order to avail of treaty benefits, the resident citizen or domestic corporation must submit a Tax Residency Certificate (TRC) to the tax authority of the foreign jurisdiction to prove that he/she/it is a resident of the Philippines and is, therefore, subject to tax in the Philippines on the basis of his/her/its worldwide income by reason of citizenship, residence or place of incorporation, as the case may be.