Hello proposal need help

Hello everyone that may be able to help.

I'm looking for some help if anyone is willing to provide help. For a perfect proposal to my partner.

We will be in Vietnam from the 16th of march 2023 until the 7th of April.

We are flying into the south and attempting to ride a motorcycle to the north I'm sure we won't make it all but it's my dream destination Vietnam.

So what I'm wanting to do is a beach proposal with a sign (will you marry me)  flowers maybe some musicians dancers a heart on the sand.

If I can't find help it's fine ill improvise but any help is really appreciated or places to go.

Thank you everyone and a Happy New Year.

Hello everyone that may be able to help.
I'm looking for some help if anyone is willing to provide help. For a perfect proposal to my partner.
We will be in Vietnam from the 16th of march 2023 until the 7th of April.

We are flying into the south and attempting to ride a motorcycle to the north I'm sure we won't make it all but it's my dream destination Vietnam.

So what I'm wanting to do is a beach proposal with a sign (will you marry me) flowers maybe some musicians dancers a heart on the sand.

If I can't find help it's fine ill improvise but any help is really appreciated or places to go.

Thank you everyone and a Happy New Year.
-@Shane Marchant

Unless you have a VN licence then your riding to north may be a non starter, as any bike over 50cc needs a VN licence or you don't valid medical/travel insurance, and will be a frequent flyer on the Police "coffee money" donation scheme.

Plenty of beaches and flower sellers around and karaoke speakers for music are everywhere.

Ham Tien/Mui Ne area is nice so is Nga Trang, Quy Nhon, Da Nang, Hoi An for beaches.

Ham Tien/Mui Ne area is nice
-@AndyHCMC

Definitely.

The beach resorts there have these types of photo-op setups already in place:

20201019_080550-01.jpg

@AndyHCMC so stick to under 50cc even with a travel permit am I not ok?

@OceanBeach92107 thank you for this information top man

@AndyHCMC so stick to under 50cc even with a travel permit am I not ok?
-@Shane Marchant

Hi Shane,

Can I drive with an international driver's license in Vietnam?

There are conflicting reports about this, but an international driver's license is not valid in Vietnam. You can only drive with a valid Vietnamese driver's license. (over 50cc)

You can legally drive a 50cc/e-bike here yes. Over 50cc would need a VN licence to be legally covered by your insurance.

EDIT: The roads have Tour Buses, limo vans that go at maniac speeds pushing past everything on the road, If you have never driven on VN roads before I would highly recommend grabbing a sleeper bus and lay next to your future wife/husband watching your phone in air-con comfort holding hands.

Then just hire a 50cc or e-bike to potter around at each city.

Ham Tien/Mui Ne area is nice
-@AndyHCMC

Definitely.

The beach resorts there have these types of photo-op setups already in place:

20201019_080550-01.jpg
-@OceanBeach92107

Thanks for jogging my memory there is place at La Gi does them I just remembered seeing the photos

https://i.postimg.cc/G2hsB1Zz/Screenshot-2023-01-04-064806.jpg

If you have never driven on VN roads before I would highly recommend grabbing a sleeper bus and lay next to your future wife watching your phone in air-con comfort holding hands.
-@AndyHCMC

Do we know yet if his "partner" is going to be his wife?

Based on current trends here, maybe he's planning to make his bride his husband.

I'm serious, not joking or criticizing.

If you have never driven on VN roads before I would highly recommend grabbing a sleeper bus and lay next to your future wife watching your phone in air-con comfort holding hands.
-@AndyHCMC

Based on current trends here, maybe he's planning to make his bride his husband.

-@OceanBeach92107

Good point, yes I was wrong to assume. Plus I missed the "For a perfect proposal to my partner." good catch.

I shall edit my post.

-@AndyHCMC

-@OceanBeach92107
Good point, yes I was wrong to assume. Plus I missed the "For a perfect proposal to my partner." good catch.
I shall edit my post.
-@AndyHCMC

Ah, yea,,,,,,,,,,,,,paying attention to trends versus enlightenments, surely hitting a 'pothole' will occur?

MAc

@OceanBeach92107 thank you for this information top man
-@Shane Marchant

I appreciate that, but everyone knows Steve is top man here 😎😉

@AndyHCMC As tourist, within your tourist visa time, your foreign license must be accepted, as you don't have permission of transferring to a local one with a short term visa. Furthermore, transferring your foreign (not international!) driving license to a local one is an easy no-brainer. See my old post of 2021 on it.

Good luck with your license and....maybe future wife? 😊

@AndyHCMC As tourist, within your tourist visa time, your foreign license must be accepted, as you don't have permission of transferring to a local one with a short term visa. Furthermore, transferring your foreign (not international!) driving license to a local one is an easy no-brainer. See my old post of 2021 on it.
-@danrodri

Hi Dan,

Could you link to where this info comes from? I'm not sure that a foreign licence MUST be accepted in any country if you are on a tourist visa - what is the maximum time you don't need one for?

USA Embassy Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam. Even though a driver's license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver's license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam.

Australian Embassy Vietnamese driving licences are mandatory for all drivers of motor vehicles as well as for riders of motorcycles with a capacity of over 50cc. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence.

(Oh and it was not me asking about licence or proposal, I already have a lifetime licence and a wife.)

-@danrodri
Hi Dan,

Could you link to where this info comes from? I'm not sure that a foreign licence MUST be accepted in any country if you are on a tourist visa - what is the maximum time you don't need one for?

USA Embassy Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam. Even though a driver's license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver's license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam.

Australian Embassy Vietnamese driving licences are mandatory for all drivers of motor vehicles as well as for riders of motorcycles with a capacity of over 50cc. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence.

(Oh and it was not me asking about licence or proposal, I already have a lifetime licence and a wife.)
-@AndyHCMC

My Canada isued International drivers licence lists all countries in which this licence is accepted, and Vietnam is one of them. I have seperate stamps for Car and motorbike. I showed it to a cop on my last visit and had no problems. (No coffee money)

-@danrodri
Hi Dan,

-@AndyHCMC
My Canada isued International drivers licence lists all countries in which this licence is accepted, and Vietnam is one of them. I have seperate stamps for Car and motorbike. I showed it to a cop on my last visit and had no problems. (No coffee money)
-@kjkinVn

There is NO such thing as an International Driving License. PLEASE refer it to the proper name- Its name is an International driving permit

@Kjkinvn,

Do you have a link listing the countries for Canadian IDP? As the USA Embassy website say IDP are not accepted in Vietnam.

"Driving in Vietnam

Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam. Even though a driver's license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver's license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam."

Apparently, There was several signings to the UN treaty @ different dates and some countries signed some didn't so not all are valid everywhere.

I noticed Australia signed late and had conditions and annex, maybe that's why many visitor/expats get their licences converted if the IDP's are not valid from their country of origin?

Warrants further investigation?

Prior to arriving in VN a little over 5 years ago, I purchased an IDP from CAA (Canadian Automobile Assoc.).

From the gov't of Canada's website (link);

"How to apply for an IPD

Contact the Canadian Automobile Association for a Canadian International Driving Permit application form."

The list of countries where my IDP would be valid included Vietnam.

However, from a different webpage of the gov't of Canada (link), we find the following;

"Driving

You must hold a valid Vietnamese driver's licence to drive a vehicle with an engine of 50CC (cubic centimetres) or more, including most motorcycles.

Contact the Department of Transport in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City for licensing information.

Department of Transport in Ho Chi Minh City (in Vietnamese)"

Confusing? You bet.

@Aidan "just a bit"

Some countries do not recognize international licenses. Vietnam asks for your CURRENT home country license. I do not know the answer if you don't have one. You start by going to Ly Chinh Thang driver license department on that street after you have all the preliminary paperwork. The people working there tell you whatever they want whether true or not. So be prepared for a runaround.

I had my valid home country license, took a written exam in a classroom, had a physical evaluation about 30 seconds long, did 3 minute driver test on a moto and that was it. That was 18 years ago however.

Go to the source, the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport.  Their site is in English or will translate.  I can't get on right now, but you can try later.

@Kjkinvn,
Do you have a link listing the countries for Canadian IDP? As the USA Embassy website say IDP are not accepted in Vietnam.
"Driving in Vietnam
Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam. Even though a driver's license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver's license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam."

Apparently, There was several signings to the UN treaty @ different dates and some countries signed some didn't so not all are valid everywhere.

I noticed Australia signed late and had conditions and annex, maybe that's why many visitor/expats get their licences converted if the IDP's are not valid from their country of origin?

Warrants further investigation?
-@AndyHCMC

It's actually written inside of my IDP, but here's a link: https://www.smartphone-id.com/en/intern … ng-permit/

It's actually written inside of my IDP, but here's a link: https://www.smartphone-id.com/en/intern … ng-permit/
-@kjkinVn

I'm assuming you purchased your IDP at a CAA office, as it is the only authorized issuer of IDPs in Canada.

I got mine from the CAA office in Ottawa, on south Bank Street. Mine also included VN as a country which recognizes the IDP.

It is perplexing as to why the CAA (authorized by the gov't of Canada to issue the IDP)  would include VN as an accepting country, while the same authorizing gov't site states otherwise.

In post #17 of this thread, I copied/pasted from the Gov't of Canada's website the following;

"Driving

You must hold a valid Vietnamese driver's licence to drive a vehicle with an engine of 50CC (cubic centimetres) or more, including most motorcycles.

Contact the Department of Transport in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City for licensing information.

Department of Transport in Ho Chi Minh City (in Vietnamese)" (link)

I will note, however, that the (unauthorized to issue Canadian IDPs)  app site which you linked to, smartphone-id.com, does state

"*Exceptions apply. Visit the official embassy or consulate website of destination country to learn more." (link)

I'm unsure as to whether VN has rescinded its 1968 agreement on the acceptance of IDPs, but it is apparent from the statements on both the US and CDN gov't sites that the VN gov't has made known that it will not accept IDPs (at least not from US [link] or CDN [link] drivers).