Insurance help! -Renting a motorbike from an individual

Hi

How does bike insurance work in Vietnam? UK driver's license means we can only ride a 50cc bike so options are limited. One person is willing to rent to us but they are not an official bike renting business, it is just their spare bike. Is a bike insured for anyone to ride in Vietnam and therefore we can legally ride it? 

Thanks

Rosie

Hi
How does bike insurance work in Vietnam? UK driver's license means we can only ride a 50cc bike so options are limited. One person is willing to rent to us but they are not an official bike renting business, it is just their spare bike. Is a bike insured for anyone to ride in Vietnam and therefore we can legally ride it?

Thanks

Rosie
-@Rosie Myers

Hi Rosie,

There is bike insurance and then bike licence, here in Vietnam you dont need a full VN licence to drive an e-bike or 50cc bike, so your ok to drive a 50cc.

Moving on from that there is up to 175cc which you need a VN A1 licence for.

Many here get Bao Hiem 3rd party insurance hardly any get fully comp.

As long as you only ride 50cc you are ok for your travel insurance, if you ride a bike that needs a VN licence and you don't have one your medical cover will be at risk.

If its their bike and its over 50cc NO you will not be covered, as you are not a licenced rider so any damage will be at your own risk, plus local Police love to get "coffee money" leading up to TET.

How long is your visit?

Thanks really helpful to know, do you think the 50cc bike has to be insured by the ownder for us to legally ride it?

We are in phu quoc for one month

We are in phu quoc for one month
-@Rosie Myers

The Bao Hiem is only around 50-60k a year so probably will have (ask owner) the police can issue a penalty if no insurance, although many VN think its a waste of time and money.

But being around TET its another good "coffee money" excuse.

Make sure you get a copy of the bikes "bluecard" which has all the bikes details on to also show the nice policeman.

@Rosie Myers

I have sent you a private message. My wife can help you with this but there are some people on this form who are not very kind and we would rather not go public. Please check your private messages.

@Rosie Myers
Per my Vietnamese wife, who is an agent for Baoviet Insurance, if you have been in Vietnam over 180 days you can purchase insurance package which includes in-patient (hospital stay) and personal accident insurance (which covers bike insurance). The cost for this insurance varies a little by age but is around 6m VND per year. It's called the Diamond Package and covers most bills related to hospital stay and accidents. It would be best if you had a motorbike license which can be obtained without a written exam if you convert your drivers license to an international license in Vietnam, however my wife is aware of some cases where the insurance never asked for a license.
P. S. If your bike is under 50cc you are not required to have a bike license, however accidents happen (especially in VN) no mater what size bike you are driving, so it is best to have some accident insurance.
-@drutter

What about liability insurance?

Based on some horror stories I've heard of Vietnamese people having to pay through the nose (even when they weren't totally at fault) I would guess the lack of this type of insurance is what could really get you in trouble?

I'm asking because I really don't know

@OceanBeach92107 you can have all the insurance you want. As a foreigner you will end up paying by your own pocket to the family. (thousands $). Sure, that "diamond insurance" would cover the motorbyke repair you may have caused him but that person involved will not miss at the opportunity to cash out hard on the foreigner. This includes involving the police and a lawyer, they will not let the prey go. It works between vietnamese people involved on accidents, go figure when that rich foreigner is the cause of "losing the job as a result of the incident damaging the family incomes and blahblah". I had friends' life literally ruined by incidents repaying the family. (the same can be said for cambodia, its not just a viet mentality)

@OceanBeach92107

Motorbike insurance is supposed to cover for liability but a motorbike license is required and under 30% (at most) are ever actually paid. Most of the time the two people involved in the accident will settle between themselves without police involvement. Usually the only time the police show up is if someone dies. The cost of liability insurance is very low (100k per year) but it is a waste of money.   

The cost of liability insurance is very low (100k per year) but it is a waste of money. 

-@drutter

no its not, its money well spent, (mine cost 60k per year) just wait till you get stopped by the police & dont have it & see how much in coffee money it costs you!!

The cost of liability insurance is very low (100k per year) but it is a waste of money.
-@drutter

no its not, its money well spent, (mine cost 60k per year) just wait till you get stopped by the police & dont have it & see how much in coffee money it costs you!!
-@goodolboy

That resonates well with what my Vietnamese friends and one expat (who got in an accident) have related to me.

On the one hand, no one seems to put much faith in an adequate payout from insurance providers.

However, no one wants to be subject to penalties for failing to have liability insurance either.

-@drutter

-@goodolboy

That resonates well with what my Vietnamese friends and one expat (who got in an accident) have related to me.

On the one hand, no one seems to put much faith in an adequate payout from insurance providers.

However, no one wants to be subject to penalties for failing to have liability insurance either.
-@OceanBeach92107

I remember about 2 + years back there was a post think from yourself, Colin & might have been Ciambella about a purge on moto docs in Vung Tau & I had never had insurance but was planning a long journey over the mountains to Dak Lak & then Da Lat so I thought better safe than sorry & just went along to the local petrol station & paid 60k & got it. Was stopped 3 times on that journey.

First got caught in a speed trap, all docs in order but got hit with a 500k coffee money fine.

Second & third time was just regular spot checks & because I had everything in order. Licence, insurance & owners card no coffee money requested nothing. The cops just had a disappointed look & wished us good luck on the journey.1f60e.svg

There is one very simple, obvious reason to buy (the extremely cheap!) liability insurance, and that reason is because it is mandatory.

Whether the policy pays out when called upon, will be a matter of discussion between you and the insurance provider.

However, if you are unable to provide proof of liability insurance when required to do so after being stopped, then it becomes a matter between you and the police. You lose, by default, and you can bet that your loss will be greater than the cost of (the extremely cheap!) insurance.

It is important to remember that this type of insurance is a policy which is assigned to the vehicle. It is transferable to any/all legal drivers of that bike. In effect, the bike is the policy holder, or at least this is how I understand it.

Returning to Rosie's initial post,

"Is a bike insured for anyone to ride in Vietnam and therefore we can legally ride it? "

Yes, I do believe so.

But I'm unsure as to whether 50cc and electric bikes are required to have the liability insurance. I somehow doubt it, but I am open to being persuaded otherwise. I have very little experience with 50cc bikes in VN.

There is one very simple, obvious reason to buy (the extremely cheap!) liability insurance, and that reason is because it is mandatory.
Whether the policy pays out when called upon, will be a matter of discussion between you and the insurance provider.
However, if you are unable to provide proof of liability insurance when required to do so after being stopped, then it becomes a matter between you and the police. You lose, by default, and you can bet that your loss will be greater than the cost of (the extremely cheap!) insurance.
It is important to remember that this type of insurance is a policy which is assigned to the vehicle. It is transferable to any/all legal drivers of that bike. In effect, the bike is the policy holder, or at least this is how I understand it.

"Is a bike insured for anyone to ride in Vietnam and therefore we can legally ride it? "

Yes, I do believe so.

But I'm unsure as to whether 50cc and electric bikes are required to have the liability insurance. I somehow doubt it, but I am open to being persuaded otherwise. I have very little experience with 50cc bikes in VN.
-@Aidan in HCMC

50cc yes e-bike no.

50cc has number plate and bluecard, e-bike with pedals is like buying a bicycle.

EDIT:

E-bikes with pedals dont need

E-scooters (like the Vinfast Klara etc) have plates/bluecard.

Yes, I do believe so.

-@Aidan in HCMC

My vintage Mobylett (1953) is 50cc 2 stroke & has no number plate & no Blue card only have receipt of purchase from the shop I bought it from. I have been pulled over & stopped by police numerous times in HCMC & they just love to look it over as its nostalgic for many Vietnamese & part of old Vietnam history. They never ask me for any diocs even driving licence when out on it.

My other bike is different & as I said before I have ooops had all the legal docs for it except for now as my TRC ran out & now on e visa so I dont have Vietnamese driving licence. Hence we flew to Da Lat for Christmas this year.

...as I said before I have ooops had all the legal docs for it except for now as my TRC ran out & now on e visa so I dont have Vietnamese driving licence. Hence we flew to Da Lat for Christmas this year.
-@goodolboy

Nativity Nuptials?

💍 ~ 😉

Curious as we were going to buy a 50cc 2 weeks ago to we thought the same about no plates/rego/bluecard.

EDIT: @GOB Dealer friend said Vietnam mind - has pedals so like bicycle - just like e-bike with pedals - if has no pedals is then classed as Scooter or Motorbike and has V.I.N. from maker and paperwork given to Police to issue bluecard and plates.

They are also pushing to get all e-bikes without pedals registered and issued with plates.

The e-scooters (like the Vinfast Klara etc) already have plates.

https://i.postimg.cc/1XDTKHzd/Screenshot-2022-12-26-092545.jpg

...as I said before I have ooops had all the legal docs for it except for now as my TRC ran out & now on e visa so I dont have Vietnamese driving licence. Hence we flew to Da Lat for Christmas this year.
-@goodolboy

Nativity Nuptials?

💍 ~ 😉
-@OceanBeach92107

1f602.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg I need a drink now

Dealer friend said Vietnam mind - has pedals so like bicycle - just like e-bike with pedals - if has no pedals is then classed as Scooter or Motorbike and has V.I.N. from maker and paperwork given to Police to issue bluecard and plates.
They are also pushing to get all e-bikes without pedals registered and issued with plates.
The e-scooters (like the Vinfast Klara etc) already have plates.

-@AndyHCMC

Good info! Thanks for that