Retiring in the Canary Islands

Hi all,

I'll be retiring in 2024 or 2025, depending on how I can take the pressure longer.

I was thinking of the Canary Islands as my new home. My favorite Island so far IS Lanzarote but it might be too secluded for retirement.

My pension should be a little under 2000€.

I have a dog and cat.

I have no possessions other than my old car, therefore will be starting from scratch.

I need advice from people on this page who are in a similar situation.

How difficult is it to find long term lease and how much does a 1 bedroom apartment cost ?

How did you chose your Island ?

How difficult is it to move with pets ?

Thanks for any tip you can provide.

Isabelle

Hello Upsa1312,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Please note that your thread is now on the Canary Islands forum.

You should start from here > Living in Spain guide for expats. This is a guide where you will find some information that you should know before moving to this country/island.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Upsa1312

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your move to Spain.

It's a lovely country, with many great places to choose from. And the Canary Islands have many fans!

For property search, I usually start with Idealista (dot com), which usually has plenty of listings for sales and rentals.

If your heart is not totally set on the Canaries, perhaps you could consider somewhere closer to home (near Bilbao or Barcelona)? This would be easier to divide your time between France and Spain, and you could drive down with your pets.