Volare housing rental

HI, I am considering renting apartment in Vlora and the agent wants $800 for security deposit; I am afraid I will not receive my security deposit when I leave and wondered if anybody had informatoin on this agency, and if it is common practice and safe.

Thanks

@virturalone it is common practice to request first month, last month and a month deposit upfront (so three months in total) PLUS if you use an agency they will want half the first month rent value as a fee.  And you will be hard pushed to get anything back at the ebnd.......just refuse to pay the last month rent.

She wants 800 euro for security plus 400 euro each month , including paying 400 for the last month,. So, if I refuse to pay last month she could throw me out and just keep all 800 euro; at best she would not throw me out just keep the remaining 400 euro. Would I have any recourse to the courts ?

Hi. Yes you can go in court. But Here because of the reform in justice, arent many judges si your Case is going for years.

I think is better to find something else.

It is very common to have bad surprises when renting-hiring houses or flats.  Usually the owner is the one who risks more.  The risk in renting and not get paid on time or not getting the bills paid is increasing, and not only in Albania. 

While the owner and the agency have a reputation to defend and show to their prospects, the same does not apply to the tenants.

I am an owner and - as many other colleagues - am selling the properties or rentig them to tourist only for short periods.  It is standard practice, and comprehensible, to ask for two or more monthly fees + the first month in advance.

Thank you Fladin,

I understand completely. I am looking for a one year or longer lease on the right flat and am willing to pay one year in advance. This should alleviate some of the owner's concerns.

Best regards,

Russ

HI, I am considering renting apartment in Vlora and the agent wants $800 for security deposit; I am afraid I will not receive my security deposit when I leave and wondered if anybody had informatoin on this agency, and if it is common practice and safe.
Thanks
-@virturalone

You will never see your money again. I would never pay that much for anything here. Nothing is safe in Albania.

She wants 800 euro for security plus 400 euro each month , including paying 400 for the last month,. So, if I refuse to pay last month she could throw me out and just keep all 800 euro; at best she would not throw me out just keep the remaining 400 euro. Would I have any recourse to the courts ?
-@virturalone

Courts? ***********. No one here is paying 800 for a deposit and 400 a month in rent. Jobs pay 30 a month. So think about that for a moment.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Unnecessary comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you Fladin,
I understand completely. I am looking for a one year or longer lease on the right flat and am willing to pay one year in advance. This should alleviate some of the owner's concerns.
Best regards,
Russ
-@russcon90256

That would be like 5,000 Euros! Where would you get that kind of money???

Thank you Fladin,
Best regards,
Russ
-@russcon90256
That would be like 5,000 Euros! Where would you get that kind of money???
-@Alice4186

How do you know?

@Alice4186 Wow you would pay that much in advance; i would be afraid the real estate agent disappears or there is problem with building, no interest in these high interest rates, or something else. I would never pay more than 3 months anywhere in world: first month, last month and security, at most!

@Alice4186 Never got notified of these replys until today, sorry. I rented and piace for 5 months at$320 in building that rents for about $180 but was in hurry. First one I rented was on 2nd line thru airbnb was $325/mo + electric with large screen tv microwave, ,but this old building  is far away from beach for $320 + everything ie. Internet, water, electirc. So real rip off. I only had to give $300 deposit but expect to get it all back next month will let you know; I went thru real property management. Cant find on web now but she rents property thru longtermlettings. Also, never say yes to old building for that kind of money here in vlore tell them you want to see another place and try to talk price down.