Hire a lawyer

Dear Community,

we have been silent readers of the posts here for a few months now and find it very enriching. Even if much concerns US citizens and Canadians, we hope to read more soon with or for European immigrants to the DR.

Now to our question, we will be entering the DR in January 2023 and will continue our residency process there of the 60 day period with a lawyer. We also already have a good offer in place. However, for us it seems a bit strange that the lawyer does not want to make a contract with us. We know this from the European countries in which we have lived so far differently: No mandate without contract.

The lawyer from the North Coast DR wants to have the entire amount transferred immediately and then already begins with the work. The lawyer further already reserved us a personal appointment for January in his office, at this appointment we will probably sign a power of attorney so that the lawyer can submit the application for residence and our paper to the authority on our behalf.

Is this the usual procedure in DR with lawyers? Thanks for your experience!

I think this “  transfer entire amount “ sounds a little shady to me , I would question the reasons for this action…especially since you'll be in country and  will be able to provide payment upon request…., ,   Im sure you'll get more info from this site on the process plus maybe a good attorney recommendation … but your attorney sounds a little “shady “ to me

Welcome to the forums.   You only have to ask to have an agreement done up!   Most lawyers will do this quickly and easily.

Never ever ever transfer the full amount up front!  HUGE red flag.

And so what, big deal, he reserved you an appointment in January.  That is just the very least to be expected.

Time to find another lawyer. Red flags at this stage are a big big deal.

Get an agreement in writing before you send any money anywhere!  No agreement, move on to another lawyer...

One thing I have learned about doing business here is put as little money up front as possible. The most common consumer scam is for the vendor to take whatever money you have fronted them and then they just ghost you, or they may just disappear depending on the size of the deposit. This tactic is used by locals and ex-pats alike.

Be particularly careful with residency attorneys. This forum can recommed a good residency attorney, and other vendors, if you research or ask.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

It confirms our feeling and we have contacted in parallel the lawyer Lishali Baez already recommended here several times.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
It confirms our feeling and we have contacted in parallel the lawyer Lishali Baez already recommended here several times.
[email protected]

Yay! Good decision 1f600.svg

I could make a guess as to who you were speaking with initially, but I won't. I will say we used Lishali (aka Lily) and you can't go wrong with her.

David

@RockyM I made the mistake of doing this and have learned some very important lessons of doing business in the DR. Trust no one; foreigners also have their hands deep in your pockets.

@mrs.holi I used her she is great.

On the one hand, exposing wrongdoing feels like the right thing to do.  It's about holding powerful people accountable and keeping the system honest.  We've all seen those whistleblowers in movies who spark massive reforms –  they're practically superheroes!

Welcome to the forums.  This thread is a couple of years old.

On the one hand, exposing wrongdoing feels like the right thing to do.  It's about holding powerful people accountable and keeping the system honest.  We've all seen those whistleblowers in movies who spark massive reforms –  they're practically superheroes!

-@LancehexBut speaking up can also come at a great personal cost.  Retaliation, damaged reputations, even danger –  it's a lot to risk.  Sometimes the whole system feels rigged against the good guys.  There's this saying, "Don't rock the boat," you know?  It can be tempting to stay quiet and avoid the hassle.I read this article https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/6-key … r-1291783/  that mentioned creating safe spaces for whistleblowers to report without fear.  If we can give these heroes some protection, maybe more people would feel empowered to speak up.

Your comments and posted article dont apply here. There are no protections here especially for expats. 

Your comments and posted article dont apply here. There are no protections here especially for expats. 

-@planner

And he's replying to his own comment??