Reverse money transfer (PH to USA)

Hello,

My wife and I moved to Philippines (CDO) in 2020. I'm an American citizen, she is dual US/PH citizen. We receive our Social Security every month via direct deposit into BPI peso passbook accounts. We also have joint BPI peso and USD savings accounts. We also have BDO and Metrobank peso savings accounts. We have Wise cards (Transferwise), Remitly, Xoom, etc.

We need to transfer ~$1000 to our US bank checking account. I've looked at Wise, Remitly, Xoom, Western Union, etc., but don't see a clear way to do this. I'm sure there are ways, but I thought I'd ask for advice here.

What is the best/cheapest way to transfer money back to the US from Philippines? 

Thank you,

Billy

I do not have a Phils bank account for several reasons, but: You should be able to do a SWIFT bank to bank transfer, right?

logic dictates that danfinn is correct as simple money transfers bank to bank should be no problem. they always accept my deposits bank to bank, all, digital.

Cheers, Steve.

I have a SWIFT code for my PH bank(s) but none for the US bank. I searched their websites but no information about doing a bank-to-bank international transfer. Same with World Remit and the others. I see plenty of ways to send from USA overseas but not vice versa.

We will go to each bank and ask in person, and as a last resort try Moneygram or Western Union back to my US bank account.

Thank you,

Billy

Google wise.com us swift codes. I checked my credit union and it didn't have one listed (but they have sent SWIFT money transfers here). You might find your bank's code there if your particular bank has one. You could also call their customer service.

Not quite relevant but some time ago I tried a Wise transfer of CitiBank US Dollar account to BDO Dollar account and was unable to do it.   It seems transfers should be to dissimilar currencies using Wise.

The Philippine Peso is a restricted currency. This is why the normal exchange facilities only work one way. Easy to get money in but not so easy to get money out. My peso bank accounts do not have a facility for international transfer. One option might be to open a foreign currency account, US$ is easy, and do an international transfer from there. (I have considered this but not tried.) Your Philippine bank manager ought to be able to help with a one-off transfer.