Your best culinary memory in Egypt

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in Egypt?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution ;)

Good morning, Mickael

First is very seldom to find good food in Egypt unless you go to a very impressive restaurant and also there is a lack of quality.

Sorry to say that Egypt is not into quality at all its about quantity

Also, if you want to cock good you need good vegetables herbs meat, and we don't have this to.

If you talk real Egyptian food, we don't have much maybe 5 or 10 dishes at the most.

Yes, I cook on regular basis.

Also, the food is overpriced in Egypt for the quality what you get. you pay like in Europe and get bad quality

Regards

Hello Macc,

Thank you for sharing your culinary experiences with us!1f609.svg

Are you a local?

Sorry to say that Egypt is not into quality at all its about quantity

I've always heard that Egyptian cuisine is really flavourful1f914.svg

If you talk real Egyptian food, we don't have much maybe 5 or 10 dishes at the most.

Do tell us a bit more about the local cuisine. What's the best Egyptian dish that no one should miss?

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

As an Egyptian, I would suggest that you try the Egyptian Kushary from Al Tahrir restaurant (specially from El Maadi Branch).

As well, you can try the mix grill from Abu Shaqra restaurant or from Al Dahan (both are located in El Maadi too).

If you like, you can try Clams&Claws they have very delicious lobsters, shrimp and much more (located in 5th settlement and Zayed districts)

Prior to coming to Egypt, I didn't have any preconceived notions about the food and as a VEGAN was happy to discover available, affordable options. I'm glad that my first experience was eating Koshary from About Tarek, sure is where most tourists are channeled to go (based on articles you can find online for vegans) but, after trying koshari from other restaurants, they got the best flavor period. For fast food KAZ and GAD made tasty falafel sandwiches, I could argue that one could make better tameeya sandwiches or fúl if you have a kitchen available to you, specially since after discovering how MUCH BETTER saboob taste toasted by passing it throw the flames. I am yet to try full Vegan restaurants in the city, and looking forward to try them among great company 1f60e.svg1f60b.svg