Help! Landlord is asking to pay for the "damages"?

Hello All,

This is my very first post on this forum, so I have recently moved out of my fully furnished apartment and the owner had taken 380 BD as a security deposit.

Now the owner has sent me a letter stating the list of material and maintenance work done by him which costed around 710 BD and asking me to pay for the remaining 380-710 = 330 BD.

Most of the issue he is referring to are exaggerated, for example, a few pencil marks on a wall and he chose to repaint the whole house.

A small table mat which needs washing, he got it replaced and so on. It is as if he is preparing the apartment for the next tenant on my expenses.

The contract does say I am supposed to return the apartment in the same condition as received, but I have not dug a hole or something in the apartment, it was still in livable condition.

He is using this clause to charge me with all the high-end services he has received to bring the apartment in a brand-new condition.

I am so mad this behavior of his and when I called him on the phone, he told me it's business, just pay what is on you, bye!

Can anyone please suggest what I can do, it has really ruined my day and mood!

Thanks for reading

wow what a *** landlord. the last apartment that i leased in Saar it was leased through a real-estate company ***after over a year at that apartment there was some wear and tear from as you say marks on the wall but the realestate company and the landlord just attributed that as wear and tear from living and never even asked me to pay for it. the whole apartment was painted as soon as i left and they never asked me pay for it. great experience.

my contract was worded similar to what you just said but i guess the main difference is how its attributed legally. clearly there are *** landlords like yours who take advantage of this. you could argue wear and tear as not being damages and it is to be to expected.

i would definitely leave a google review on the building of the landlord and explain what he is doing to you. this is very damaging for their reputation and to get future tenants. i have come across many Europeans leaving the same in google reviews of some apartments i looked at and it helped me greatly to stay clear of them.

and you could mention that you would be leaving a google review about this experience most often this is enough for the *** landlord to backtrack and be more hospitable.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Name of company and insults removed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Unfortunately, if it ends up in court, you will pay more in legal fees vs. the money that you will save.  You can try by refusing to pay and inform him of your points in writing.  Tell him that you are happy to take this to court as he is being unreasonable.  Then let him take it there..........in most cases, people don't want the hassle and will drop it.

@Awesomeone1

Many house owners have become very greedy in Bahrain.

In your case did he notify you before undertaking the repair /maintenance work? Is he not legally obliged to do so?

As suggested in another reply I also think you should reply in writing to your landlord listing your objections (including not notifying you before doing whatever he claims he did - if this is crrect) and decline payment.

If you have a legal adviser at your work place consult with him and take his help in drafting an appropriate legal response.

Good luck & be careful while signing your next lease.

@Awesomeone1 if the issue still exist .. I can help on that