English - Accomodation Websites for Aoartments In Riga

Hi,

I noticed that Christine posted the following back in 2011 -

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Latvia. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Latvia.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Latvia?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Latvia?

How to find a home in Latvia: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I have been advised to have a look at ss.lv to give me an idea of
the cost of accomodation in Riga. The trouble is even when I try translating it, it doesnt tell me everything required. I was wondering if anybody has any answers to Christine's post, and further to this if anybody knows of any easy to use accomodation websites written in English. I am wanting to get ideas of the cost for either a studio or 1 bedroom apartment, preferably furnished. I'm looking somehwere in the centre of Riga maybe not to far from old town. I guess everything depends on the cost. As im looking to relocate I would want a place on a minimum of a 1 year lease and also wondered if that is possible. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

Scott

Unfortunately the best place I can think of, if you're not actually in Latvian is SS.LV. I know what you mean about pressing the translation tool, it doesn't always work, they used to have an English button but now it's only Latvian or Russian. If you were in Latvia you could look in local papers but that's not much help at the moment and obviously they are in Latvian.

If you were relocating to Liepaja I would be able to offer constructive help because that's where I live, but you will need expats based in Riga. Hopefully someone will prove more helpful than I, but hello anyway.

Steve

Thanks For your advice Steve. Yes I agree it would be easier if I was actually there. I guess I'm just wanted to try and budget to get an idea of what my outgoing monthly expenditures will be, That mainly includes My Rent + Bills Electric/Gas etc. Yes ss.lv is very confusing as it translates some stuff and not other. Also I cant actually tell when the add was posted, exactly where its located and have noticed some accomadtion is listed in U.S curreny, other in Latvian and still other in Euros. Some show it as daily and other as monthly but because its all jumbled i'm not certain of what it means :)

Thanks for saying hello and i'm hoping that someone that lives in Riga might also have some further advice.

Scott

Scott

For what it's worth, and based on my limited knowledge, I would allow Ls 250 a month for a small apartment (very area dependant). Gas and electric is expensive given what the average wage is in Latvia, I don't think there is much difference between here and the UK. For a small flat I'd guess at Ls 120 a month for gas and electric.
Obviously food and drink is cheaper but not as much as you'd think. There is a bar (can't remember the name) on the river by the Anglican Church in Riga, where the cost of drinks gave me a heart attack (and I'm from London). I am a firm fan of the Bombardier Bar on Lacplesa Street, very friendly and much cheaper than Old Riga.

Steve

Steve,

If I could find a Flat for that much the I think I would be quite happy, but guessing If I want furnished it might be a little more expensive? I had a look at another comment somewhere when I was trawling the Internet and I think you are spot about the Bills as I think I noticed that Bills were about 50 -60 in the Summer and about 100 - 150 in the winter or such. But I think If I budget 120 a month then that should be fine. Yes I have heard that there are Bars in Europe where drinks cost 10 - 20 Euros etc. will certainly try and avoid those Bars. I will certainly try and explore the Bombardier Bar though, must admit I can be quite partial to a few drinks every now and again.
Thanks
Scott