Texting to the USA

Hello, I am currently in a long distance relation ship with an Indonesian woman that I met while we were working on an eco-farm in Ecuador. I am now back in NYC and she has just arrived back in Indonesia 3 weeks ago. ANYWAY, my question is: Since she arrived in Indonesia we are both having a lot of trouble sending and receiving SMS from each other. When she was in Ecuador and I was back in NYC there was never a problem. She said that Indonesia has many diffenent types of phone credit as opposed to Ecuador (only two). Has any one delt with this problem and can you recommend a solution. I will be there in 2 months, but we miss the day to day messaging. PS calling her phone via skype or calling card is not a problem only SMS. Thanks Jacob

Welcome on Expat.com jjnyc13 ;)

Are you inserting the proper country code. For Indonesia its "+62"! Which mobile operator your girlfriend is using?

Just use Yahoo chat. Much easier.

Right! Just use Yahoo Messaging then the problem is solve I think.  Same with my problem when my sister travel to India so difficult to communicate with her.  Finally we decided to use Yahoo Messaging (Yahoo chat).

Good luck with u and hopes this solve your problem.

Thanks for the replies. She is not using a mobile carrier, but a pay as you go credit for the sim card. She said the brand was XL. Also, when she tried to use the yahoo messenger she said her credit went away really quickly. She is currently in Bonjol, and said it is not easy to find someone who knows how to trouble shoot such things. Thanks again

Mobile data is expensive out here unless you take a data plan.
I would suggest using 'IM3'. The coverage is one of the best in Indonesia, the service is about as fast as a mobile network gets (still variable depending on location)but, if you exceed data limits, it just goes slow rather than charge you a fortune.
Rp100,000 for 400mb.

What can I say but again I am agreed with mas fred. Only on my own experience for my mobile internet I am using Simpati card with monthly packet cost RP 100 thousand but when buying the pulse better to leave RP 25000 free just for in case. To me this is really helpful. Hopes this can give you more view.

again, I wanted to thank all for their input. She has switched to the Simpati card and is now receiving my text. Hers are still not getting pushed through but its a start at least. cheers JJ

I've just added a package to my skype that allows me to call UK landlines free (Except the small fee of a few dollars each month).
You may find there is a package suitable for you to call Indonesian mobiles if you check.

Ι agree that yahoo chat is the best.My wife living in Jakarta and im in Greece.We use this more than msn and skype.But sometimes the signal is low in Jakarta.Thats the only problem.SMS cost too much.

Try to install whatsapp on ur phone

banibubun wrote:

I agree with you! Whatsapp is a great ones to send text, and some pictures

Well I think OP already gone back but somebody else might need to send sms to another country. Just buy a Smartfren prepaid card, to use smartfren you need a CDMA phone (your normal gsm phone will not work) Can buy phone from 7eleven shops for 299rp card included.

For sending sms 01033 + Country Code + Number

Like Ecuador 01033593XXXXXXX 1000rp/sms

International calls also very very cheap compare to others with smartfren. Plus you can use same phone as modem to connect internet with your laptop.

http://www.smartfren.com/product/servic … tml#smsint

The best option I have come across is one I've been using for about 10 years. It is called magic jack and basically, provides you with a US phone number for calls and SMS texts. (my number is from NJ - 732 Area code; you can specify a NYC # if you like). The cost is around $40 a year and allows the user to call throughout the US , & Canada, receive calls on their ID smart phone from the US as well as sending and receiving SMS messages. As I said, I use it personally and have done so successfully from Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong.
I am not a representative of this company, and am offering my experience based on the posted question. Good luck.
David

This is an old topic but one that comes up a lot for expats all over the world.
I do want to add more later but an addition to post 14 may be in order first. Not being an American, I know little of magic jack so I read...

https://homebaseproject.org/difference- … k-express/

Hope that helps.

Fred wrote:

Just use Yahoo chat. Much easier.

OMG - How things have changed since 2011

Fred wrote:

Mobile data is expensive out here unless you take a data plan.
I would suggest using 'IM3'. ......
Rp100,000 for 400mb.

Again, changes

All mobile operators and data plans - some better than others.
Telkomsel has removed all their cheap end plans for the moment so you can only buy bigger packages. That's likely to change again as they respond to changing conditions.

3 still has their 'Always on' plan, an especially useful idea as the limit is the life of the SIM card, not monthly. Check the terms when you buy data as many have partial 'always on' and partial month long validity. I've just dumped a large data package onto my tablet's 3 SIM card - That'll last all year without a care and it extended the card's life by 12 months - No messing around with the tablet for a year.

Fred wrote:

I've just added a package to my skype that allows me to call UK landlines free (Except the small fee of a few dollars each month).
You may find there is a package suitable for you to call Indonesian mobiles if you check.

I have since dumped the package in favour of an auto renewing subscription. As I make fewer calls to the UK than I did, it's no longer worth having a set number of minutes.

banibubun wrote:

What a post!
Those early days of Whatsapp have morphed into people here asking for your WA (pro - way r) number instead of your telephone number.
However, since WA was sold out (physically and metaphorically) to Facebook, a lot of people are moving to signal and other apps.