How to make friends in Syria

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Syria :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Syria??

Thanks in advance for your participation

im looking for friends in syria ,,,,

hi there. I'm soon to be assign as an expat for Syria can you guys give me a tip on how to talk nicely to local people of this country as well as foreigner's too?

Making friends is both easy and difficult. From my experience of teaching Arabic to expats, they get to know many Syrians in few days or weeks. Problems begin when they realize that many of these friends have specific purpose for befriending foreigners. Some want to improve English.. Others want easy relationship with a female.. Others expect help to get a visa to go abroad. So, what to do?? I normally recommend being in touch with various events taking place in Damascus. For example, we have more than ten cultural centers here, and they always organize many cultural activities..e.g. concerts, movies, speeches, art exhibitions etc. The point is not the event as much as the elite local audience.
Greetings
Hussein Maxos

dear hussien
thanks for your advice but the way how you explain the propose of Syrian to have friends..... i think not good as you mean all Syrian just wanaa 3things learning english, fun and visa....
belive me dear Syrian people good more than you think , they are so friendly open mind and love deferent culture.
regards
ahmad

hi ahmad,
I don't think I said in my post that all Syrians are bla bla bla. In fact, no body can say all Arabs or All Indians. This would be an oversimplification that's often linked to either prejudice or nationalism. I don't feel bad for criticizing something negative in my country, because it's like all countries not all angels nor all devils.
My advice has to be realistic due to my profession. I also offered an alternative ways to establish a true friendship outside the tourist area.