Do and don't in Burundi

Are you living in Burundi? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Burundi?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Burundi?

Thanks!

You pretty much can do whatever you want.
At the time I was there anyway, which is 25 years ago... :cool:

Ok, even after 2 weeks I know some do's and don'ts:

Don't:
1. Never ever ever ever mention the ethnic groups here and if someone tries to guide you into such a conversation, the best reply is to say you know nothing about it.
2. Don't walk around at night, most of the town is off the roads by 11pm for good reason (robberies)
3. Many expats will tell you things are safe in the country side but that's simply not true. Don't travel in rural areas without informing several people of your journey and when you expect to return.
4. Don't take the motorbike taxis, you are asking for trouble.

Do's
1. Return greetings even from strangers as many people here enjoy simply saying hello
2. Visit a ceremony where the drummers are playing as it's awesome to see
3. Enjoy a sunset on the beach and try to see the Congo mountains in the background
4. Come with a healthy knowledge of French (or Kirundu) as English is still not very widely spoken
5. Be prepared for the mosquitos as they are very aggressive and malaria is common here
6. Enjoy the wonderful and rustic areas of the city and for the most part, Western culture is not seen as too bizarre here so you can jog, swim etc without any worries.

Hey,

Are you stil in burundi? I visited buju a ciouple of weeks ago and would like to do so again, if i want to buy some things which is the best market to visit?

Hi Libby7! Could you please start a new discussion on the Burundi forum.
Thanks

I am very puzzled by the never ever ever ever mention ethnic groups advice. My experience is that as opposed to Rwanda, almost everyone is willing to talk openly about ethnicity. Obviously the way people talk about is changing all the time, but I doubt that it has changed so radically since I last visited the country two years ago. Tutsi are usually more reluctant to mention ethnicity, so maybe you've been hanging out mostly with them.

I was surprised that even in Kigali, I could talk to people about Hutu and Tutsi. Obviously only some people and obviously after gaining some confidence - but not much.

Sorry. Just realised that you had only been in the country for two weeks :-)

Hi,
i am planning to move to burundi for a 2 to 3 weeks period. Any suggestions regarding the conditions in burundi. what are the Do's and Dont's out there. I am moving there for the first time....is the country safe..??

Yes, is safe now. You are going to be happy