Single Retiring to Belize- area of expat community and facilities?

I don't know if it is furnished or not.  How long are you going to be here?  If it's just a place to sleep with a bathroom all your own, then you could stay at my place, but I'm 7 miles from town and I'd have to transport you into Corozal each day (which I go in practically everyday anyway). But I was thinking you wanted something in town.
I tried to return your call tonight but the line was always busy.
About me:  I'm a 72 year old hen living near Consejo Shores in Mayan Seaside.  I will be going back to Oregon on the 30th of this month to check out my home there and make sure my boys haven't destroyed it. Then I have to make a quick trip to my home in Panama and fix everything that was smashed when robbers broke into my house.  Panama isn't as nice as Belize.  People respect your property more here.  If I can connect with you by phone, I'll give you my personal email address.

I will be in Belize for about 2 weeks and come back to Texas. I want to focus on Corozal but I want to look at Placencia also. I too will be leaving a home with my son and grandson living in and I want to be sure to tie up loose ends. If I find a place in Corozal and I like it, I want to try to rent it for 6 months before coming back to get my things so I'll have a place to stay when I get back. I appreciate your offer and I'll try to call you again today. The number that I called you from is my cell so there shouldn't be a problem but I'll call you anyway. I'm on Central time and I don't know what the time difference is in Belize.

Well, the doctor's house is for rent.  It is a huge place.  If you need something briefly while you look around, as I said you are welcome to stay here with me rent free while you look.  I have a 2nd bedroom with a private bath, but this is up to you, dear.  If you are uncomfortable with this, I understand.
I will continue to read the blog after I'm back in Oregon.  Yes, we do watch out for our families, don't we.  It's in our genes.
The problem I had with calling you is that the line was continuously busy.  Maybe you had a lot of calls?

Hi, my name is Pam and I live in Missouri and planning on moving to Belize in a couple of years.  I saw you were communicating with another single gal. I too am single and was wondering about rental prices... I don't want any thing fancy or expensive. Do you think I can live on $1200. US  a month?

And are you on the beach or close to it? I really want something on the beach. :) 

I saw you had an extra room and bath. How much do you rent it out for on a weekly bases?

Would love to chat with you.

Thanks for any reply
Pam

Hi Marcia, I was just wondering if you received my personal email. I know that you were preparing to leave but I didn't remember the date. I really appreciate all of the information that you shared with me regarding Corozal.

O Please stay in contact with me... I'm planning on moving there in 2 years. Would love to know what all you find out.

Thanks
Pam
from Missouri

Hi Pam!
I am just now seeing your posts.  Sorry I missed them before.  It would be better if I gave you my personal email address to give whatever information you would need.
I have a Florida Magicjack number you could call, if you would like.  Then by phone I'll give you my email address.  I just don't want to put the email out over a general forum.  It's my way of avoiding spam.  My Florida number is 305.907. 9720  That will ring here in Belize, if Belize Telemedia is working properly that day.
Stay well, dear and I hope to be helpful to you.

glad to see that that $1,500 US rent was out of your league !!! when I saw that I thought well I'm going to have to stay in the US. :-) I'm Pam by the way. all of us single females need to keep in touch so when we're down there we know each other :-)

great thank you for the number I'll be getting in touch with you.
Pam

Thomas 1500 US you busted my bubble... my retirement is only 1200 guess I'll have to pitch a tent on the beach lol

Hi Pam, I won't be paying that much for a rental and if you read Dee's comment, she said that she pays $600 a month all utilities are included. That's a good deal, hopefully a place like that will be available when I go down next year. I'll gladly stay in touch.

I've been reading all about cheap rent, like 300 US a month. guess it may not be true.
Pam

Yes, Pam.  There are places that rent for $600 BZD / month...that's $300 USD.  When I first arrived in Corozal 3 years ago, I split rent on a 2 bedroom house which rented for $500 BZD / month in Santa Rita Heights, Corozal.  That woud be $250 USD / month total, split between 2 people ended up $125 per person.  It is do-able.

Hola Pam,
I am renting a very large two bedroom, two bath for $800 BZ a month in Pregresso. Jungle, and a 1/4 away from lagoon. Ride bikes into town, bum rides, and take the buses. Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for the info. isn't 800 BZ about 400 US?  And how far away are you from the beach? All i want to do is get up in the morning and get my chair and thermos bottle of coffee and sit on the beach. :)

I getting a lot of different places. And would a single women be safe by herself in that area?

Thanks for your help
Pam

Let me clarify. Haha. The lagoon is 1/4 of a mile away. Not like the ocean. Grass grows to the shore, and the water is brackish, and not salt. Neighbors have a swimming pool. Coffee? Some of the worlds best right next door. Very quite. 2 to 1 exchange rate on US currency.

I really want to live close to the beach..... :) Does any one know if rent is that cheap around the beach area, I don't care what are beach just as long as it's a nice one that i can swim and enjoy the sand. :)

Pam

that's fabulous!! Do you think if any would be close to the beach? $300 US is doable for me. My retirement will only be $1200. US

Hola Pam, the lagoon is excellent for all types of water recreation. Swimming, and kayaking are excellent. You can go by some of the public areas in town, and make friends; or you can go out a ways, and wear nothing more than a smile. Probably not recommended for a single lady.

Do you have any picture of the lagoon? You could send to me at pamemmert at aol dot com

Thanks
Pam

Hola Pam, I sure do, just that they are on my laptop, which my cats pull to the floor, and cracked the screen. I all be flying in Sunday, and will not get to Progress village until dark. It has been raining, but I will send pictures. I will get your email, but I will also be posting to Facebook.

you might want to check with some real estate folks to see what they might have available or be aware of

larry

great information, getting all my notes together for January when I come down. :-)
Pam
Missouri

I too am a single female from Missouri. would like on the beach in Placencia to rent. I'll be back down the end of January for my second visit. appreciate all the posts with helpful information.

Hi Marcia, I was just wondering whether your area was flooded by the rain.

Hi Dee01, I was wondering how much rain did you receive and whether you have any damages from the water.

House is high and dry, driveway is good, road in front of house is good, road from Consejo road (Smugglers) has about 100 ft of 1 to 2 inch deep water which I tried to walk through earlier and couldn't make it through without ending up with wet sox.  Was on Consejo road last night and all was pretty good (so-so) until entering Corozal just before the ball field.  Marl has washed away into a few wicked pot holes that will make you wish you had an amphibious vehicle, but my little Honda Civic muddled its way through without too much pain and complaints.  Little Honda doesn't know if it's champagne colored or marl grey now.  Thanks for asking!

can you tell me Erma's last name so i can add her to my facebook?????

Hello!

I love Belize and have visited several times/ but only in San Pedro.  House sitting would be an ideal way for me Visit other areas as well.  I am retire for over a year now and like the others am a single woman.  Any house sitting info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Deb

msdeb51 wrote:

Hello!

I love Belize and have visited several times/ but only in San Pedro.  House sitting would be an ideal way for me Visit other areas as well.  I am retire for over a year now and like the others am a single woman.  Any house sitting info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Deb

Hi Marcia, I tried calling you yesterday, I left a message. Are things clearing up in Corozal? Did Orchid Bay get hit by flooding?

Hi GrammyG, how is it going in Placencia? I see that there is plenty to do there and I've been looking at the various places to eat. I plan on coming to Belize in April for about 3 weeks starting with Corozal and working my way to Placencia. Please supply any information that would help me while in Belize.