Immigrating from Canada

My husband and I would like to relocate from Nova Scotia, Canada to Belize in approximately 8 years (have to wait for the kids to grow up).  Ideally, we would both like to work (he is a cook, I work in tourism) and live permanently, with the ultimate goal being to open our own small deli/restaurant. How difficult would this be?
We are people of little means, but big dreams. Our start-up funds will depend on the sale of our home.

If you were saying you were coming next month I would say your chances of getting employment were extremely thin, as there is high unemployment in Belize and most jobs that are available are offered for Belizians first and expats only if it is not possible to find a Belizean with the skills for a particular position. As a cook jobs are unlikely to be available to an expat, similarly in tourism,  tour companies and guides have to be licensed and you have to be a permanent resident or a Belize citizen to apply for a license.
On the other hand if you Bought or Built your own Restaurant that would be different, you would have to employ Belize workers and your own  work permits would still be needed. This all seems a little previous as in 8 years time at the rate things are changing, Belize will be different again.

Do your tesearch backwards and forewards. Much different visiting there than living and Belize Govt has strict rules about working. Anything is possible of course. It can actually be expensive to live there. Think about renting for 6-12 months before buying. Healthcare is nowhere near Canadian standards so if any major health issues..be aware but from experience...research research!!