Buying a car in the East Timor

Hi,

To be able to move in the East Timor, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in the East Timor: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

There are alot of options specialy in Dili, all along the beach side you find people seling cars. You can make direct looking and negotiation.
You  can also visit some of the local dealer in the Main protocol road, CityAuto and few showroom selling new and second hand car,  good quality and also less than 5y old. Goverment only allow shops to import 5y olds vehicles.
On beach side,you may find cars older than in the car showroom.

We have insurance company INTL and sinarmas both offers car assurance.

Normally buying a vehicles is easy,  the seller will help to do all the paper works,  dealing with authorities for changing of ownership,  just give gew dollars 30$ or 50$.
Ownership changing cost is 25$  and it takes a week or so. But original documents will be collected in 2 or 3 months time.

Hi

I represent a small charity organisation operating in Aubeon Timor Leste and would like to purchase a 4x4 vehicle (preferably something like a Toyota Hilux 4 door 4x4).

Do you have any suggestions on how to make contact with potential sellers.

I am based in Australia and planning to vist Dilli in Mid-June 2024, so if there is any possibility could you send contact details so i can enquire further.

Regards

Nigel