Volunteering in Romania

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Romania?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Romania?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

A very good topic  - questions I'd like to know the answers to :)

Hi!

You can start by this link

provobis.ro/en/. I didn't find any other sites in English.

MihaelaS wrote:

Hi!

You can start by this link

provobis.ro/en/. I didn't find any other sites in English.

Do you participate or collaborate with this group, or can you personally tell anything about this organization?  :)

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog

No. As you can see on the site, this is the National Resource Center for Volunteerism. I thought it might be a place to start. I participated in activities with

MaiMultVerde http://maimultverde.ro/, Team Work http://blogteamwork.blogspot.ro/,

GIA http://www.orasulanimalelor.org/, Tara lui Andrei http://www.taraluiandrei.ro/

but they don't have an English verision of their site.

Thanks for the link - as you say, it's a place to start!

I remembered another one OvidiuRo

ovid.ro/en/,

which was founded by Leslie Hawke, the mother of the actor Ethan Hawke :)

From my experience,I prefer direct action.  I used to send money through Oxfam after raising it from an event of some kind in the UK. I did that 10 times in fact. Then I came in person with a construction crew as a guest worker to build an orphanage in Constanta.  After that I brought my own teams of men & women on numerous refurbished trips to Brasov county. then I moved here  Latterly I have been trying to improve a mental hospital (which is not hard to do given the conditions!)

There are many causes, because sadly Romania is not an overly charitable environment. Controversial but factual.  Now that i live here and have a lot of useful resources (being in property management & maintenance) I am in a position to help others with a working holiday in Bucharest or Brasov.

Romanians are very friendly warm people. If you have a desire to work in a particular domain, from hospitals to orphanages to gypsy villages, most locals will help you find a project.  English is widely spoken in main towns & stores so you won't have too much trouble say, organising a team to repaint a school.  Additional Labour is cheap if you want to swell your team, as are good quality translators (such as a student) who would be only too happy to accompany you throughout your trip & interpret for you as your project progresses.

I'm based equally in Bucharest & Brasov if you need my help.  If you want a ready made cause, my hospital cause is visible on Facebook under 'Angels of Mai Brasov' & my email addrrss is [email protected]

Rule 1: if you cannot see the project with your own eyes or you don't know someone who you are certain has seen it, never send money.  For every good, kind, generous soul there is someone willing to dupe you & keep the donation, anywhere in the world. Support what you can see or verify.

Great  - thanks  - perhaps joining a 'ready made' cause would allow me to see how it's done first - then organising my own project would be fantastic. I'll check out your Facebook project.

PS. I'm still enjoying living in the flat Mihaela found for me :)

Glad to hear it. You could help us a lit by looking up white mountain property Bucharest on google maps & putting a review so others can find us. The city is full of bad agents & this helps us & clients alike,.

I have been using WWOOF.ro for volunteering on communes/farms.
There seems to be a vol group in Brasov.
Homes for Humanity are here; HQ in Bucuresti I think.
There are several mountaineering groups that accept vols for trail maintenance/shelter building.
That's as far as i got....hope it helps.
Rich Krieger
Pitesti

Great - thanks! I just need to investigate and make time for some of these now - work always seems to end up being all consuming, whichever country I'm in....... :(

This is another foundation - motivation.ro/en/home

If you want to plant trees, the actions are usually organized on Saturdays. This is the next action I know about - plantamfaptebune.ro/impadurirea-nationala-pe-14-noiembrie

Hi Damian,

I checked out your website on Facebook but I can't see how I would get involved - there isn't a way of 'joining' the group. Are you looking for volunteers? I'd prefer something in Bucharest rather than Brasov.

Thanks,

Helen

I read a few of your web site articles (good stuff) and watched a couple of videos you posted on YOUTUBE.  You sir, are doing everything right, and doing it very well.  To me, giving back to the country I'm visiting is common courtesy.  You have taken that courtesy to the next level.  You have done what can not easily be accomplished...impressed me.