Driving in Turkey

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Turkey? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Turkey?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Turkey: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

The driving style in Istanbul is pretty rash when it comes to road etiquette. Although the roads are pretty good, but its a massively crowded city and almost all the time seems like a peak hour.

HTV/LTV: Most of the drivers tend to stay in their lane however they also get crazy too. Taxi drivers top the list for that. It is not uncommon for regular drivers as well to get road rages sometimes. People mostly leave the emergency lane open, however in the absence of police, one or two would try to get away with it. When the cat's away...

Bikes: Most of the bike riders complain about the lack of regard by the car drivers for bikes, which is true. At the same time, I haven't really seen bikers sticking to their own lanes as well.

Bicycles: Non existent on the roads and streets. You only get to see bike lanes by the seaside for recreational riding mostly.

Does it remind me of some of the places I grew up back home? I have seen better, and I have seen worse too actually!

I'm finding the roads pretty scary... I've been living here a few months now.. And the truth is... It's putting me off going out. I don't really leave the apartment much anymore... Not alone anyway 😟

I find people more forgiving of mistakes in Turkey. In the UK they would be sounding horns, remonstrating and threatening legal action.

Let me put it this way - I always say that I would never drive in Istanbul (not sure I feel the same about the rest of the country) I say even if someone gives me a Porsche for free I would still decline driving here.  People drive like maniacs, irresponsible and always feels like I will be in an accident which I once was in.  Fortunately I did not get hurt but it was due to the lack of consideration of other road users.  They are unpredictable especially the cab drivers (although thats an international problem) - but all in all, it seems so dangerous to drive in this city, I don't consider it safe at all.

you should be carefully when drive in istanbul. some driver might be crazy never think their life. I always think to make video recording and publish in you tube. However they just come suddenly and gone fast.

What do I think of driving in Turkey? 

http://janeyinmersin.com/2015/05/03/driving-miss-janey/

Be careful Taxi, Minibus, and bus drivers. They think that roads are just for them and rest of drivers are just guest for a while. I heard this sentence from directly from taxi drivers. They think that people have to respect them.
Driving in Turkey is not easy, but in north Africa impossible. It s all about where you were and compare with what.

Cheers.

Aqu

In Adana, my first car journey was hair-raising! My friend was weaving in and out of the other traffic, beeping his horn repeatedly. I said, "If you do that in England, you would be arrested." I had my foot on an imaginary brake the whole time. Now I have relaxed about it, but I don't drive a car myself, thank god.
  Bicycles share the roads as well as motorcycles with riders (with no helmet) having their whole family on the bike as well. His wife riding side-saddle (maybe fully covered in black, flapping in the wind) with a baby in her arms a little one on her back and another child on the drivers lap in front. I see such a spectacle every day.
  I love to see the hustle and bustle of Adana. Beautiful modern city with wide boulevards with modern vehicles riding alongside ancient carts pulled by a hard working man on foot or bicycle.
  I had a horrifying ride in a taxi in Ankara. The driver got in an argument with another driver. He slammed on the brakes, and got out to hit him! I would rather walk now!

the way you described Adana and the motorbikes, makes me
1. want to visit and see it, coz it sounds fascinating
2. reminds me of certain places back home = )

Thankfully, Istanbul has laws and regulations that compels drivers to wear helmets and puts a limit to maximum number of riders.

But the taxi guys pulling on the road side and getting into argument, happens all the time. Worse? They start arguing, cross bantering while driving at speeds nearing 100 on the main roads.

Now that I think, these acts are associated with most of the huge metropolitan cities globally.

trumunro wrote:

In Adana, my first car journey was hair-raising! My friend was weaving in and out of the other traffic, beeping his horn repeatedly. I said, "If you do that in England, you would be arrested." I had my foot on an imaginary brake the whole time. Now I have relaxed about it, but I don't drive a car myself, thank god.
  Bicycles share the roads as well as motorcycles with riders (with no helmet) having their whole family on the bike as well. His wife riding side-saddle (maybe fully covered in black, flapping in the wind) with a baby in her arms a little one on her back and another child on the drivers lap in front. I see such a spectacle every day.
  I love to see the hustle and bustle of Adana. Beautiful modern city with wide boulevards with modern vehicles riding alongside ancient carts pulled by a hard working man on foot or bicycle.
  I had a horrifying ride in a taxi in Ankara. The driver got in an argument with another driver. He slammed on the brakes, and got out to hit him! I would rather walk now!

I lived in Adana for 2 years and i loved driving there ,
I am from the US (California ) so i am used to crazy drivers
you just have to pay attention to the other drivers . And stay away from the Auto bus , they will run you off the road quicker than S..t, They would give any driver here in the states competition . lol but besides that the other drivers were mostly very courteous , the roundabouts at the lights were a little hard getting used to , And I did not like to see the children on the motorcycles or in a car in there mothers lap .they belong in car seats period .. but besides that very nice time. I will totally do it again wen i go back  :cool:

I agree to everything that has been said here. The Turkish drivers (Istanbul) are the most irresponsible drivers I have met up to now (however I have never been to India/Pakistan...). Give-way signs and rules, red lights are simply ignored, people are driving in the reverse gear on highways if they miss an exit, they do everything to block you from changing a lane etc. I would like to understand the background of this rude behaviour - are there no driving schools here or does everybody think that he stands above the law? Giving way meens loosing face or what? I hardly see any trafic police here where are they? In the end it is no fun because I see accidents on a daily basis, mostly in situations where you think - how is it possible to have an accident here on a straight lane. I also saw people beating each other up after an accident.

when I was there yrs ago the rule was--if u are brave enough you have right of way

Hi Thomas,

since you are coming from Germany, I can clearly imagine your horror. I was driven around by a very dear friend in Germany and after that I realized the disregard that pedestrians face in Turkey and yes, in Pakistan too.

Also, as Samaniego2u mentioned, it probably has to do a lot with big cities which induce hectic lifestyles and diminishes tolerance. .. 

I hope you enjoyed your stay nevertheless.
Zeeshan

Nilsthomas wrote:

I agree to everything that has been said here. The Turkish drivers (Istanbul) are the most irresponsible drivers I have met up to now (however I have never been to India/Pakistan...). Give-way signs and rules, red lights are simply ignored, people are driving in the reverse gear on highways if they miss an exit, they do everything to block you from changing a lane etc. I would like to understand the background of this rude behaviour - are there no driving schools here or does everybody think that he stands above the law? Giving way meens loosing face or what? I hardly see any trafic police here where are they? In the end it is no fun because I see accidents on a daily basis, mostly in situations where you think - how is it possible to have an accident here on a straight lane. I also saw people beating each other up after an accident.

Funny enough, a very good friend messaged me this yesterday & I thought I'll post it up...

Unofficial rules of traffic in Istanbul:
Never drive behind an empty taxi, never in front of a full taxi or dolmuş and never on the side of a senior driver.

Well, considering how frustrating the crazy traffic may make a senior citizen, I can totally understand the third one! : )

Enjoy the day!
Z