Driving in Myanmar

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Myanmar? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Myanmar?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Myanmar: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hi Everett Teow,

Thank you for your participation :)

It would be great if you could tell us more, why It's better to drive in Myanmar rather than in China, Thailand and Rome?

Thank you

Stéphanie

Hi all,

I living in Yangon for 8 months, I think driving in here is safe. People mostly respect the traffic rules. I am not sure with the other States, but in Yangon they drive fast but safety.

Warmly,

Thuong.

well, I personally won't drive in Yangon. They are driving on the right side, like we do in Germany, but I can't understand why they have the steering wheel on the right.

If I move around by car it is only with a driver or a taxi. The driving style is, let me say "they try their best to not hurting anybody", and it looks like it works. Thank God because of the high volume of traffic the speed is pretty low, so it seems to be quite easy to keep the car under control.

They try to pass left or right, and somehow they always find a way. And the funny thing is: they don't shout or swear, if somebody jumps in the queue from left or right. They just take it the way it is and remain relaxed. I call it the Asian serenity, something we are unfortunately lacking of.

Traffic rules ? Maybe there are some which we don't see through. Red light, green light - but are there more ? And traffic signs ? I have only seen a few up to now. In my country, famous for thousands of it, this way to drive would not work, but - we are not in Germany.

So I wish good luck to every expat who tries to drive in Yangon. :-)

Bernd

Hi Maximillien,

Im quiet busy with work, but I believe this topic of yours is helpful to other expats, so here I give my few contributions.

I just recently obtained my Myanmar driver's license last April 2015. I go through the usual process, with a little help from some Myanmar friends. I took the test and passed it. Now Im driving around Yangon and even drove as far as Nay Pyi Taw.

Driving in Myanmar is quiet easy, but be very observant. First, they used right-hand drive vehicles on right lanes. Quiet different from our place where drivers are left-hand side and left lane. Still other countries used right hand drive in left lanes. Key is focus on your lane.

Swerving is generally not allowed, but a lot of drivers oftenly swerve in major roads. To avoid accidents and traffic violations, stay on your lane, at all times. Change lane only when necessary and when you are turning right or left.

Memorize road signs and pre-cautions. If you cant read or speak Myanmar, be ready to have a friend to talk with the traffic officer or another motorists when caught in a situation.

Be ready to have cash in your pocket everytime you drive. You will never know when you need to draw out some cash.

Enjoy driving!

Edwin

I was living before for 8 years in Sri Lanka and 5 years in Pakistan. WHo ever was in Colombo, Sri Lanka, he knows, what it means to drive a car :-)

They are unbelievable, aggressive, everybody wants to be the first at the junction. The horn is the most important part of the car. They all drive too fast, there are many accidents, and if you ever have seen a 3-wheeler after an accident . . . my goodness, it is totally flat. And the parts of it are spread all over the street. But there are still less accidents than in Europe where people drive disciplined (mostly). I think it is also, because they don't want to hurt anybody. So somehow they have you in the angle of the eyes. In Myanmar you don't have the feeling that they look left or right or to you. Their eyes go just straight and they continue. And if they brake they do it in the last second. Asia is crazy in regard to driving.

Bernd

Hi,

There is such a thing so called "group think driving".

Let me explain. When you are driving in a certain place for a long time, you would adopt the behavior, the mannerism, and the fast trouble action local motorists employ while driving in their area. In this way, every local motorist is capable to anticipate the next action of the other motorist beside him and reacts accordingly. If you are a foreigner or a newbie driver, you miss several important cues from other experienced driver in the said area hence mis-communications happened, followed disastrously by accidents.

so if you are behaving or reacting differently from most motorist, they can easily spot you...and say to themselves...ah foreigner or aah newbie..and then go on with their usual ways.

You can't expect local motorist to adapt to your driving ways..they have been there even before you arrive in the scene. As a newcomer in their road, you must be observant and as much as possible adapt to your new environment. Do not think like you have to drive it like you are in your hometown. If you like to drive like that, go back to your own hometown.

In every country, there are unique driving behaviors in each place different from other places around the same country. Some are strict on traffic rules, some are lousy. Some roads are good, in some roads are truly bad. Some roads are congested, some roads are rarely traveled. So there is no exact standard from one place to another, it will vary a bit even when you are in the same country. That's why its not fair to generalize that all motorist In one country are all bad and dangerous. Much more so, to generalize all motorists act all as bad in a continent.

Just mind your own driving. For your safety abroad, think and drive local.

Edwin

Edwin, I did not want to say that all are driving bad. Maybe I missed to put some smilies here and there  :). So let me plz relativize my statements: the traffic here is quite different to our home countries in Europe. Is that ok ? ;-)

quote from your blog: You can't expect local motorist to adapt to your driving ways..they have been there even before you arrive in the scene

you are right, and I would never expect it. I was just observing the differences. And like driving manners here look sometimes strange to us, you also see us behaving strange in the traffic - if we drive. You described it very well with:

...ah foreigner or aah newbie..and then go on with their usual ways.

And I think, here is the difference. In Europe people are not that much understanding and start to rail against those who show some problems in the traffic. . . here, as you write, they go on with their usual ways.

I like this behavior here much more.

Thanks for sharing your very personal impression.

Bernd

Hi,

There is an important road code (usage of signals) you need to take note when you drive on anywhere of highways in Myanmar, as you know we drive on right lane, if the front car showing right turning signal means "Do not overtake! there is a vehicle coming from opposite lane". If it shows left turning signal means "The road is clear and safe to overtake" and the driver is allowing you to overtake.
However, this code is only applicable on highways. Although this code is illegal, drivers are still using around the country. Once you enter to the city, forget about this code. Keep drive safely :)

Hope this fact is useful to you guys.

Chan