Driving in Germany

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Germany? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Germany?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Germany: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I think German drivers are respecting rules very well . Cars for German are very important more than their house!!

But they are really rude, never say thank you at all !!

And I would like to say that living in town of ex DDR like Leipzig is very hard for drivers.. Bikes riders have all the rights, burning red lights driving on foot pass, being in the middle of the road ..they own the road..so careful, even you can drive faster on motorway..in town with tram and faradhs it's hard to drive..

Driving in Germany is fairly straight forward as they rely heavily on signs rather than just writing things. Yet one should quickly learn some basic terms like Ausfahrt : exit, Einbahnstrasse : one-way-street, Umleitung : detour, etc. Germans tend to be good drivers yet not overly courteous. Say you need to get over to the next lane and signal and wait. Even if there is no heavy traffic, one may wait a long time until someone lets you in as 20 cars go by without considering to be delayed an extra 2 seconds to help you out. They don't do it - because they don't HAVE to. I think this is why Germany has so many laws. It is a necessity because people tend to do what is in their interest with no concern for others unless forced to. While it is not meant with animosity, helpfulness and courtesy are just not common unless set in formalized rules and regulations. An exception is if someone is seriously injured; or maybe it is the result of laws that require one to help, or call for help, if one witnesses an accident or injury, unless they would themselves be put into danger. This is particularly strict for drivers who have to do a first aid course as part of their licensing.

Catcha56 wrote that bike riders “own the street “ in Leipzig which I really have to question since I have seen nothing of the sort anywhere in Germany. As a bike rider, I am glad that some German cities make attempts to make things bike-friendly but cars rule the country and much of the infrastructure politics is based on cars. Catcha56's attitude sounds like the typical one that cars own the street so other vehicle should just get out of the way and how dare they limit me from racing around. Much of the inner-city driving and resulting pollution and traffic jams could be eliminated with MORE bikes.

A major concern for commuters in most big cities are the rush-hour traffic jams and lack of parking. Despite better public transportation than in many countries, like the USA, the cities were laid out before cars existed and are thus not optimal for motorized vehicles.

The main worry for many people moving to Germany is getting a driver's license. While some countries have to get new drivers licenses this is not the case for all countries, many have an exchange provision. For Americans it depends on your State, some have a reciprocal arrangement where you need to take no tests and others have partial reciprocity - and one need only take a written exam. With an Ohio license, I could drive 1 year and then had to get schooled and tested for a German one but only because Ohio, unlike many other States, had no exchange provision at the time (although this has now changed). One should look into the exchange situation before coming. An American might have, for example, a California license but presently live in another State like Texas that does have an exchange provision. He could continue to drive with his California license but might opt to get a Texan one anyway if planning to relocate to Germany.

On the other hand, the majority of the cost is the driving school and I was also given credit for having already been a licensed driver and had to take less classroom (theory) course hours and only a couple hours of practical driving instruction. This cut my driving school cost down to a third of what a beginner would pay. The written test can be taken in different languages and should not be a problem for one who already drives. The practical test is judged with nit picking scrutiny and one needs to stick to German theories. For example, they will include stopping on a slope and one has to use the handbrake to make sure one does not roll back before getting the clutch engaged while driving off. Being practiced at doing so without the handbrake is considered wrong. I played the game although I had spent the previous 20 years driving vans and motor homes that this method would have been virtually impossible on. Like many things in life, there is a gap between theory and actual practice but one needs to play the game and do as expected.

American should note that once a German license is done it is good indefinitely unless you get it taken away. This saves one the trouble of renewing it. But having a license taken away cannot be gotten around by going to another State and getting one there, they are governed by the country as a whole. Serious driving violations might not just mean a fine but a temporary ban and mandatory re-schooling costing time and money. There is a point system and a number of small violations can add up to the same as a big violation.

And UK drivers in particular - don't forget that cars coming from the right have the right of way, even if the street on the right looks like a side street. The only time that you have the right of way over a side street is when a yellow diamond sign with a white centre is displayed.
Another really big thing to look out for - you may not pass a tram that has stopped to drop off or pick up passengers. The passengers will leap out and cross to the pavement without looking to see if you have stopped. They have the right of way here.

In general my experience of German roads is that drivers are somewaht more impatient, they MUST pass you even if it is a small windy country lane. When I first drove here I found that my somewhat 'polite' mode of British driving left me open to abuse. Moving my aggressiveness a tick upwards and everythnig worked fine.

German drivers are always in a hurry and have no consideration for other drivers. They are also not at all friendly. They often forget to use their signals in turning corners or overtaking. One must be allert the whole time. Also they tend to drive too much in the middle of the road and I have seen a lot of near misses since we lived here.

Generally the Germans are well versed in the many rules that are peculiar to Germany and pretty much skilled in their implementation, however if the slightest thing does not go according to the rule book they loose it big time, eg if you creep over the designated road lines to get a better view of traffic they react as though you have broken the 11th commandant.  There is no flexibility in the interpretation of the various road rules which is reflective of their pathological need to do everything they have been taught by the book.

Being now almost a year in Hamburg, I should say that generaly German residents drive very well and almost all of them strictly follow the traffic rules including the one on "right hand side priority to pass" that some expats may find it specific in the begining. The traffic signs are well placed and visible, clear and understandable by itself so one should not experience any difficulties "blending in" the traffic after a month or two.

One thing, however, remains on the surface: they very much like to preach or use the horn if one makes a small driving mistake and at the same time drives a vehicle that is not on German registration plates.

All in all, very easy to follow.

Having lived in Munich for 2 months now and commuting everyday to Southern Bavaria on the motoway my experience is that German drivers are really bad drivers. They do not respect the security distance between cars, they often forget to signal when changing lanes, they sometimes change several lanes in one go, they cross solid lanes as if they were not there, they have an aggressive irresponsible driving behaviour. No wonder they do not rank too well in the ranking of deaths by car accidents, well behind Norway and Switzerland. I have driven in a few countries such as the US, Chile, Italy, Switzerland and they are all much better drivers than the Germans !!! Shock horror I was expecting the Germans to be good drivers but I guess it all depends on what you are comparing then to. My advice is be always vigilant and keep your distance. Do not expect them to drive well,  they still have a lot to learn. Do not adopt the bad driving habits of German drivers and drive safely, even if you live here for a long time.

Not sure if there are huge regional differences in the way of driving but based on my experience in Bavaria I strongly disagree. Please see details above :-)

Hi,
There is  nothing better then German Autobahn and German drivers. I love to Drive on Autobahn, I have a driving  experience in 7 countries but nothing is even closer to Germany. Best thing about it everyone follows Rules and no one will hurt you until you do some silly mistake. Getting a German driving license is a big task but its worth getting some pain to drive on worlds best road system.

I Love driving in Germany :)

Bellroth brings up an important point for city driving that cars to your right have the right away unless otherwise indicated. As mentioned the yellow diamond sign shows that you have the right away on a given street but there are of course also other exceptions like traffic lights, stop signs and yield signs. Usually there is an addition white line on the street to show that there is a yield sign but not always, thus one often has to slow down and look to the right for traffic or to contemplate the situation.

Unlike in America, police cars do not chase down speeders - except for extreme violations on the Autobahn; it is all done with cameras which are generously installed and temporary ones also get set up. Radar detectors are not allowed but modern GPS systems are made to record where the permanent cameras are and warn you. In general one can go up to 10 KM over the speed limit without triggering the cameras.

The max. speed in municipalities is usually 50 Km and many cities are introducing 30 km zones. Often one comes from a country road into a city and the speed is 100 Km and then suddenly 50 from the city limit sign - and often a speed camera shortly after. Unlike the old clichés, most stretches of German Autobahn DO have set speed limits but the ones they have are often higher than in other European countries which reflects the German love of speed – something  not always so bad in itself except that Germans tend to leave too little space when following a car and next to none when they overtake you – assuming they are going faster than you. Yet, I've been passed and had the car come in my lane with little distance and then suddenly brake because they wanted to turn off and the exit ramp was backed up. This type of scenario is not unusual and can lead to you getting cited for hitting the car in front of you from behind with the burden of proof on you to prove otherwise. I don't own a dash-cam but one would be good to have in such cases. Also, it seems to becoming more frequent in Germany that there are sudden heavy downpours, often with hail, yet many of the drivers continue on at high speeds like it was nothing. Pretty scary to have to slow to 50 or 60 Km on the Autobahn to keep from hydroplaning off and because you can hardly see, even with the windshield-wipers at full speed – and then other cars pass you at 130 km.

Another thing on the Autobahn is to drive in the right hand lane and pass in the left and then get over again. This is the official rule in most countries but it is taken much more seriously in Germany. The higher the speed limits, the more important this becomes.

I very agree with your article.I leave in Dresden, germany for fast 5years.What i saw is the drivers are follow the rules very well.I 've learne to be more patient when driving here.
Everything fine.

If you´ve got practical experiences in driving in different countries, you can make your own judgement. As I´m been driving in different countries, right hand or left hand side, there´s two safe country to notice: The UK and Germany.
It depends on the driver´s behaviour and the folks mentality. Not on the infastructure which is at tertiary level here. But enjoy driving in a safe way are those countries above. In europe the worst are France and Belgium. The drivers are very ego and above all dangerous..!! Those are my 20 yrs experiences in more than 20 different countries in Europe and USA !

in my experience, i find that the majority of germans strictly abide to the rules of the road.  if on the autobahn, keep right and pass left is absolute.  also, know that there will always be construction somewhere on the autobahn; a great place for speed cameras - especially when the speed is quickly reduced from 130 (or no limit) to 80 (or lower).  in times of stau (heavy traffic), there may be sudden breaking, sometimes to the point of a complete stop.  in this case, germans will turn on their hazard lights to serve as a warning for those behind. 

i believe the most difficult part for drivers to adjust might be the rules of unmarked intersections and traffic circles (always yield to automobiles to your right). 

i think it was mentioned earlier, but learning some of the basic signage will go a long way to start adjusting.

A reason why i said in my earlier positng that the most safer place to drive is here in Germany.. !

Surely this is simply that German drivers have a different way of driving. Within those parameters they are not driving badly, they are merely driving differently to, for instance, how we would drive in the UK. I have been driving on German roads for 30 years now and am thouroughly used to their way of doing things. When I drive in Italy or Greece i find that I have to adjust all over again. Ever tried Rome? And if you really want to come face to face with total chaos, confusion and disaster on the roads then try India! Faced with that and the German style is a model ot total politeness.

I drove in Germany nearly every day for 4 years while in the Armed forces. The test for a license was 300 questions and took 6 attempts to pass.
Traffic flows smoothly, with some accidents on the autobahn during fog. Just stay in the right lane, and slow down.
Watch mirrors on blind roads and be careful on T intersections that say 'priority road' as someone will come from the right and have right away even though it looks like you are on a main road.
The police give on the spot fines which are cheaper than mail in.
Some of them speak English.
Gary

I would like to hear opinions of people coming from Norway or Switzerland, the two safest countries in the World to drive.  My humble opinion is that German drivers are really bad drivers, probably the worse is that they do not respect the security distance, go on the wrong lane (they all tend to go into the fast lane) and they do not signal when changing lanes. Worst experience ever!  If you think getting a driving license in Germany is difficult try Switzerland. Most people in Switzerland who can (registered/living in Germany) get the driving license in Germany because it is a lot easier!

Interesting  experience that Gary needed 6 attempts to pass the written driving test since I don't think that reflects its difficulty level. I got 100% on the first try. There were a lot of questions but I believer 300 is a huge exaggeration and most of the answers were actually quite obvious. Of course I had already been driving for over 20 years with an American license both in America and Europe. I was required to go through a German driving school first (although for few hours compared to a beginner) and they provided a booklet that covered everything they can ask. Plus one can take the test in English and a number of other languages rather than in German. I found the written test to be so easy that I question its effectiveness in really rating one's knowledge but if one has not studied the material beforehand then of course it might be confusing. The practical test however was nerve wrecking as it is nit-picking and they insist on you doing things according to their theory whether it makes sense or not. Sometimes one needs to forget personal experience and just give them the answers or actions they want to see.

I think it is helpful if one have at least have driven in 3 countries (ideally major cultures) other than the one you came from, in addition to Germany, to raise a balanced opinion.

Telltale of this is Robert Zeigler (37), Swiss,  who's van had to be moved by rescue helicopter, in his unfailing belief of perfect streets and his GPS. Details here : - geolounge.com/why-do-we-blindly-follow-our-gps/.

In other countries, this individual would've received a Darwin award, pretty early in his life. Maybe he was just lucky where he was born.

Now, questions that come to mind, are,
why do some demand to have meticulous rules as if for toddlers? (see speed limits on straight roads 300km long).
Is "bad driving" a 0% tolerance like in Switzerland or ca 5% like in Germany.
Do we transpose our own impression of "bad" simply because we don't understand the rules ourselves?
And, (what is often the case), what are the chance that other non-abiding foreigners are also sharing the roads in Germany with expats.

--> Hence, unique trangressions is not a good lithmus test for evaluating driving - but rather common behavior over a decade.

How can I obtain or convert a driver's license here in Germany. I have been driving since 2010 in the Philippines and Europe as I am a Field Servicec Engineer. Now I got a permanent company in Germany I need to convert my driving license. I need advise. Thank you
How can I obtain or convert a driver's license here in Germany. I have been driving since 2010 in the Philippines and Europe as I am a Field Servicec Engineer. Now I got a permanent company in Germany I need to convert my driving license. I need advise. Thank you
- @enarsm143

This thread has been inactive since 2015. So to get more actual advice, or start a lively discussion, you may want to start a new one.

Since Philippines driving licenses are not recognised in Germany, you cannot convert it, but must get a new German license from scratch. This involves a number of driving lessons plus a practical and theoretical test. The cost for this are around €1000 - 1500 (as a minimum, more if you have to re-take the test) and you'll need several weeks to complete it. Visit a driving school ("Fahrschule") near you to start the process!

Note: After moving to Germany, you are allowed to drive with your foreign license for only 6 months. If you did not get a German license in that period, you cannot drive any more after that.