Realestate agents - Honest or Thiefs???

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a good realestate agent?? (if one exist) :)

Thanks

/Henry

finding a place to rent can be tricky due to the landlords and agents.

some landlords play a game where they rent their property and then start annoying the tenant or accusing them of damages that were all ready present on the property so as to make them forfeit the deposit and leave.  its a scam and the agent is an "accomplice".  but this scam happens in many parts of the world and the victims are usually naive foreigners. 

from my understanding agents get half a month's rent from the landlord as their commission and they're usually reluctant to haggle the rent since they get a big  chunk.   its a dirty business and the victim is always the tenant. 

to sweeten the pill between the agent and the landlord, some agents will show you properties that are below your requested budget, thus making it win win situation for them.

personally, to be on the "safe" side, i'd rather rent into a condo where you only have to deal with a manager and rent / deposit are straight forward.  such accommodation  does come at a premium but its less hassle to get your deposit back, very safe to live, comfortable and you get much more privacy.

"some landlords play a game where they rent their property and then start annoying the tenant or accusing them of damages that were all ready present on the property so as to make them forfeit the deposit and leave.  its a scam and the agent is an "accomplice".  but this scam happens in many parts of the world and the victims are usually naive foreigners."

I have read about this "DIRTY TRICK".. i will be watching out for it for sure.. But how to make sure that the landlord dosnt come running all the time??

I was wondering if one could beat them at their own game and offer the agent a Cash sum if he/she drives Down the Price of the rent??

Thank for the input so far  :)

Another idea is to find someone you can trust (good luck there) who reads and speaks Khmer. Then go riding around the neighborhoods where you would want to live. Many times, a landlord will post a sign written in Khmer advertising the house for rent, and not go through an agent. The person you take with you will get a commission from the landlord, and that should keep him happy. He can also help negotiate terms. I was fortunate to have a buddy who married a Khmer woman who got me into this place. It's worked out well for me.

madmax888 wrote:

Another idea is to find someone you can trust (good luck there) who reads and speaks Khmer. Then go riding around the neighborhoods where you would want to live. Many times, a landlord will post a sign written in Khmer advertising the house for rent, and not go through an agent. The person you take with you will get a commission from the landlord, and that should keep him happy. He can also help negotiate terms. I was fortunate to have a buddy who married a Khmer woman who got me into this place. It's worked out well for me.

Thanks for the input Max :)

/Henry

Just to add to MadMaxs' post...

- Stay in a centrally located guest house
- Get to know the area and decide which part of town you would like to live in
- Ride around looking for 'To Rent' signs (they will be in Khmer, so learn the script for to rent). Take pictures of the signs, make a note of the address.
- Have a local call the numbers, find out details about the property, cost of rent, power, water, etc...
- Arrange to view the properties you are interested in, take your local friend with you.
- Go over the property meticulously, check everything works, come back in the evening to see how noisy the neighbourhood is, etc...
- Always negotiate, prices are never fixed unless specifically stated. As a foreigner the price will always be inflated, that's why you get a local to call and find out their starting price before going to view the property.
- Make sure to get a translation of the lease agreement before signing, if there is anything you are not happy with then don't sign.

But....if that is too much effort, then you can go through an agency, but be warned, rental prices through agencies are  grossly over-inflated. I wouldn't call them thieves, but they are definitely rip-off artists ;)

rarky wrote:

Just to add to MadMaxs' post...

- Stay in a centrally located guest house
- Get to know the area and decide which part of town you would like to live in
- Ride around looking for 'To Rent' signs (they will be in Khmer, so learn the script for to rent). Take pictures of the signs, make a note of the address.
- Have a local call the numbers, find out details about the property, cost of rent, power, water, etc...
- Arrange to view the properties you are interested in, take your local friend with you.
- Go over the property meticulously, check everything works, come back in the evening to see how noisy the neighbourhood is, etc...
- Always negotiate, prices are never fixed unless specifically stated. As a foreigner the price will always be inflated, that's why you get a local to call and find out their starting price before going to view the property.
- Make sure to get a translation of the lease agreement before signing, if there is anything you are not happy with then don't sign.

But....if that is too much effort, then you can go through an agency, but be warned, rental prices through agencies are  grossly over-inflated. I wouldn't call them thieves, but they are definitely rip-off artists ;)

Thanks Again Rarky. :-) Great advise..

/Henry :)

StarvinMarvin wrote:

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a good realestate agent?? (if one exist) :)

Thanks

/Henry

Are you looking to rent a villa, flat house, or a service apartment?

netexpat wrote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:

Hi.

Thanks

/Henry

Are you looking to rent a villa, flat house, or a service apartment?

Im looking for a house/villa with garden. With fence or wall around the property. Im prepared to put in Work and furniture if a good offer is there. Its dosnt have to be downtown Sihanoukville/kampot/kep. I like the nature and dont mind being on the outskirts of town as long as its safe.

Very helpful advice thanks, I am quite sure I will be looking for long term residence in the future so this is very helpful.

If you know your budget and location, just contact the properities that fit the bill. That is, a condo in BKK1. Each building has a leasing agent.  Or just walk the area where you wish to live and call the FOR RENT Ads.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Steve,
It's been nearly 2 yrs since this thread, I'm thinking of moving there as well, can u advise me also, your experience in looking for a safe home near beach, and how u got it, and what I should look out for, I'm reading lots on the thread, but no harm asking I suppose,
Thanks

Hope agent will help you more then I can't say , to find the right property for you .

Cheers

I rented in Siem Reap for a while  . . went thro an estate agent I found on the ex pats web site. It all went really smooth  my deposit was used to pay the last months rent  so there was no cash handed over.

One thing to watch is power charges most landlords will add a percentage but its should be stated on the contract what you pay. So if you like the A/C on 24/7 you could find a large bill at the end of the month.

Also some hotels will do long term rentals and that way you have no hassle with sheets and towels also the power could be included in the price.